IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
UMI PerformanceUnbalanced EngineeringHotpart.comSolo PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.com

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Aerodynamic, pre 97 Camaro front end
post Dec 14 2004, 04:23 AM
Post #1

Benched Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 273

Oh I have some things I'm doing right now. One of them is my now empty headlight holes as a burrow for some bumper ducts. But I cant help but wonder if the air is impacted into that cavity.
The front bumpers nice point and smooth transition rearward I figure there is a possibility that the air is directed right over the headlight recess. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Would anybody know if this is a good place to grab air? Plan B... turn signal holes enlarged,I know there the air would be forced good but prefer the headlight.

Anybody know if? tia

Tony
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SuperCricket
post Dec 14 2004, 06:04 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 149

Have you thought about the fog light holes? I was looking at this for a good brake ducting source. It seems like it would be a good high pressure area since they are towards the center of the front fascia.

Anyway, I would like to hear some good input on this as well!

+Quote Post
post Dec 15 2004, 12:29 AM
Post #3

Benched Member

Well the fog light holes are part of the front breather duct inlet.But yeah have to agree that is a good spot for some. If not a front breather.

I would like to hear some good input on this as well!

The plan:I want to relocate the brake cooling ducts inlets to the headlight holes,and the PS and Oil coolers will be fed from bumper ducts in the turn signal holes.PS on passenger side oil on driverside. Breather inlet between.

Somebody has got to know about this...I hate to proceed w/o knowing (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/banghead.gif) sooo I guess I loose another nite on this (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) .Really wanted to button this thing up too...supposed to remove the engine this weekend :leaving:

Any help would be appreciated guys or gals. tia

Tony

+Quote Post
JKnight
post Dec 15 2004, 12:48 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 141

I'll give you my two cents, but I got off work at 3:30, so I'm charging overtime.

Sounds like you need:

Brake ducts
Oil cooler location
P/S cooler location

I'll take them in reverse. We have the p/s cooler in front of the radiator on the passenger side, mounted between the lower radiator support and the bar that holds the upper radiator support. This has provided efficient p/s fluid cooling, and the reservoir leaks minimally now compared to before. I'm redoing that system, but I think that a reservoir with a better cap would solve the whole thing.

Oil cooler is tougher, since I don't want to drop it in front of the radiator, and there really isn't much room. I just pulled the ABS unit, so there's some room there. I think that general corner of the car would work well. Maybe devote a fog light hole to that.

That leaves the turn signals for the brake ducts. Cut the openings up a little and drop some naca ducts behind them to draw more air than they would see normally. We had been using hose attached to the air scoop thing that attaches to the lower part of the bumper cover for brake ducting. It was sufficient. I think we're going to move them to a different, undecided, location.

Cover them headlight holes with something. They really seem tempting, but I think that they ruin the aero. Not like I really know what I'm doing in the aeor department though.

That's my three cents. Or is it 1 cent after overtime?

Remember, you can always redo it. And you probably will anyhow.

Have fun!

Jason

+Quote Post
post Dec 15 2004, 01:26 AM
Post #5

Benched Member

Well the brake ducts were on the air dam (dam soon gone) . My PS cooler is presently in the same location you have hers. The oil cooler in planning. My fog light holes are going to be one big hole for a front breather application.

My intention was to have the ps and oil coolers just behind the turn signal holes closer to the body and behind the bumper tubing support. with NACA ducts and hosing to a handmade shroud of sorts that fits over the cooler.
This intention splinters from concerns and problems of others having the oil and ps cooler in the front breathers air path to the radiator causing somewhat less performance. So I want to get them to either side of the radiator air intake.

Yes if the headlight holes arent good for scooping air I was going to get some of those covers and seal them on.
And if thats the case I suppose I will have to decide to put 2 ducts per side in the turn signal locs. as a remedy.

They really seem tempting, but I think that they ruin the aero.
Yeah I think so too I just need some varification on it because I don't know jack about aero either just common sence tells me that they may possibly not be the best loc..

Seems like because of the shape of the front. The air would probabely zoom right over that area...well most of the air (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Thanks for your time Jason "checks in the mail" (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

Tony

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:05 AM