IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Solo PerformanceUMI PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.comUnbalanced EngineeringHotpart.com

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FS: New Koni da's
LS1Z28
post Nov 19 2004, 10:46 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 550

Brand new Koni da's fit 93-02 Camaro and Firebird. $1000.00 plus shipping

(IMG:http://photos.imageevent.com/ls1z28/ebay/huge/P2240162.JPG)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
brannanjohn
post Nov 22 2004, 04:48 PM
Post #2

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 370

Can you turn these into coil overs? I woudl assume that all you would need is the "sleeve" and spanner nuts? I may be interested, but am working towards coil overs, adn woudl not want them if they could not be used in that fashion.

brannan_john@hotmail.com

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Nov 22 2004, 05:04 PM
Post #3

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

QUOTE (brannanjohn @ Nov 22 2004, 11:48 AM)
Can you turn these into coil overs?  I woudl assume that all you would need is the "sleeve" and spanner nuts?  I may be interested, but am working towards coil overs, adn woudl not want them if they could not be used in that fashion.

brannan_john@hotmail.com

John, you could use the Ground control kit (or Koni sells parts as well, the G/C kit is less expensive) with these to convert them to coilovers on the front. It's tough to get the nut off to slide the sleeve on the shocks, but once you get that done, it's easy to do. You'll be amazed at how good these shocks are, I know, I have a set. They are outstanding shocks. I don't see a good reason to do rear coilovers (I'm not sure if you were wanting to do both ends, of just the fronts) for most applications.

+Quote Post
brannanjohn
post Nov 23 2004, 12:58 AM
Post #4

Are both the front and rears DA, or just the front?

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Nov 23 2004, 02:04 AM
Post #5

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (brannanjohn @ Nov 22 2004, 07:58 PM)
Are both the front and rears DA, or just the front?

To look at them, they are both DA's.

+Quote Post
LS1Z28
post Nov 23 2004, 03:49 AM
Post #6

Both are da"S

+Quote Post
LS1Z28
post Nov 24 2004, 08:10 PM
Post #7

(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) No one needs new shocks for Christmas?

+Quote Post
BCinU
post Nov 25 2004, 02:28 AM
Post #8

Annoying Newbie

Member No.: 547

I'm interested, but I'd like some education. What is the best application for these? Are they "racing" shocks, or just sporty street shocks?

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Nov 25 2004, 02:32 AM
Post #9

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (BCinU @ Nov 24 2004, 09:28 PM)
I'm interested, but I'd like some education. What is the best application for these? Are they "racing" shocks, or just sporty street shocks?

Koni DA's are among the best shocks available for these cars. Typically they are used for roadracing applications and autocrossing as well (though many use SA's for autocross). I have these same shocks on my daily driver/autocross/soon to see some track time car and love them. They allow you a reasonable amount of tuning flexibility and are outstanding shocks. I don't think you could be disappointed with a set of Koni's, I really love mine. There is a learning curve with the setup, but it's not bad and several of us are willing to help.

They are more of a "race shock" that also does well as a "sporty street shock".

My thoughts.

+Quote Post
BCinU
post Nov 25 2004, 02:47 AM
Post #10

Annoying Newbie

Thanks, Kevin.

How do these compare to the KYB's being offered by another member? Also, what spring would mate well with these? Eibach Sportlines, for instance?

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Nov 25 2004, 03:52 AM
Post #11

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (BCinU @ Nov 24 2004, 09:47 PM)
Thanks, Kevin.

How do these compare to the KYB's being offered by another member?  Also, what spring would mate well with these?  Eibach Sportlines, for instance?

The KYB's are not even close. Actually, the similarity stops at the fact that they are adjustable. You won't see KYB's under any race cars running in a major class (there may always be a "freak", but not likely). The KYB's are a reasonable "sporty street shock", but they are not really race ready. This does not make them a bad shock, they have a place as a reasonably priced shock that allows some tuning, but the valving is not calibrated terribly well for our applications based on what I've seen.

I'd not run a sportline spring on any car of mine. They are too low and too soft to be that low. The Eibach pro kit is slightly soft for the height. Again, spring choice comes down to what you want to do with the car. For track use, I'd suggest looking at the Ground Control setup and we can try to guide you towards spring rates once we find out what you intend to run as a package. You need to plan for the whole car and not just "throw parts at it". Or, the Koni DA's will make a car on stock springs 300% better, if you want to lower it, they are excellent for that as well. The shocks will make a huge improvement, even on a stock car (springs and all).

Hope that helps.

+Quote Post
BCinU
post Nov 25 2004, 04:00 AM
Post #12

Annoying Newbie

QUOTE (trackbird @ Nov 24 2004, 09:52 PM)
QUOTE (BCinU @ Nov 24 2004, 09:47 PM)
Thanks, Kevin.

How do these compare to the KYB's being offered by another member?  Also, what spring would mate well with these?  Eibach Sportlines, for instance?

The KYB's are not even close. Actually, the similarity stops at the fact that they are adjustable. You won't see KYB's under any race cars running in a major class (there may always be a "freak", but not likely). The KYB's are a reasonable "sporty street shock", but they are not really race ready. This does not make them a bad shock, they have a place as a reasonably priced shock that allows some tuning, but the valving is not calibrated terribly well for our applications based on what I've seen.

I'd not run a sportline spring on any car of mine. They are too low and too soft to be that low. The Eibach pro kit is slightly soft for the height. Again, spring choice comes down to what you want to do with the car. For track use, I'd suggest looking at the Ground Control setup and we can try to guide you towards spring rates once we find out what you intend to run as a package. You need to plan for the whole car and not just "throw parts at it". Or, the Koni DA's will make a car on stock springs 300% better, if you want to lower it, they are excellent for that as well. The shocks will make a huge improvement, even on a stock car (springs and all).

Hope that helps.

That's an imense help. Thank you so much for your patience and indulgence. I suspect I need to use the search function a bit more and read some archives.

What information would you need to have? I really didn't like my SS's tendancy to oversteer into corners. I feel like I'm looking for a lot more tire, and alot less lean.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Nov 25 2004, 04:44 AM
Post #13

FRRAX Owner/Admin

We're quickly heading away from a classified ad and into a tech discussion. You may want to start another thread.

Less "lean" will reqire spring and sway bar changes. Shocks can control the rate of body roll (so the car does not "flop" over), but not the total amount, that is the spring and sway bars domain (both contribute). So, you will want to engineer a package.

Are you planning to autocross, roadrace? As I remember, this is slated to be a track car?

I would suggest one of many similar setups that you'll probably get on this board.

I'm running Koni DA's with H&R Stage II springs (600+/200+ in lbs, not sure of the exact, but that is pretty close). A 35mm front sway bar (Suspension Techniques or, the Sam Strano 35mm hollow bar or, the Hotchkiss 36-ish hollow bar, pick one, Sam's is priced "right" and lighter in weight). A stock rear bar (test, possibly upgrade to a 21mm GM bar, or a 22mm Hollow Strano rear bar). Add LCA's and a PHB (preferably rod ended) to taste.

Everyone (many of us?) is slightly different, but still quite similar. The Ground control kit is a good option. Make sure this is legal for any class you may decide to run in. Nothing is worse than building a car that is illegal in any class you'd consider competing in.

As I said, we've headed into a tech/setup question. There are some sticky posts in the suspension forum that may get you started. If it's in the budget, you might want to buy the shocks, it is not a bad investment. I really like mine.

+Quote Post
BCinU
post Nov 25 2004, 05:46 AM
Post #14

Annoying Newbie

Excellent. Thank you again.

LS1Z28, I'll send you a PM.

+Quote Post
Crazy Canuck
post Nov 25 2004, 05:58 AM
Post #15

North of the border

Member No.: 177

I'll vouch for those shocks... since I have them and love them.
I now use them with GC-coilovers... they are great for racing and street, since they allow to have good damping properties.

+Quote Post
brannanjohn
post Nov 26 2004, 02:10 PM
Post #16

LS1Z28 I sent you a PM

+Quote Post
BCinU
post Nov 29 2004, 06:51 PM
Post #17

Annoying Newbie

QUOTE (LS1Z28 @ Nov 19 2004, 04:46 PM)
Brand new Koni da's fit 93-02 Camaro and Firebird. $1000.00 plus shipping

I've sent you a PM about payment.

+Quote Post
lt99ls1
post Nov 30 2004, 09:49 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 489

Just so you know. I had Kyb shocks and switched to Koni Da's. There are worlds apart when it comes to racing. The KYB's where much better than my stock shocks.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:51 AM