IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Unbalanced EngineeringUMI PerformanceHotpart.comSolo PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.com

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A good read on brakes.....
FASTFATBOY
post Jun 21 2011, 06:05 PM
Post #1

Experienced Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 1,410

Opinions?

http://stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml#
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wrencher
post Jun 22 2011, 03:46 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 20,108

IDK have been working on car quite a long time also, have seen many warped rotors.
Him saying; "In fact every case of "warped brake disc" that I have investigated, whether on a racing car or a street car, has turned out to be friction pad material transferred unevenly to the surface of the disc."
I find that hard to believe.
I have used a dial indicator many times to confirm a warped disc. It wasn't pad material, it was a junk rotor.

+Quote Post
EchoMirage
post Jun 22 2011, 11:55 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,323

if hes so smart he should explain to me how i had a warped brembo rotor, fresh out of the box without a pad ever touching it.

+Quote Post
FASTFATBOY
post Jun 22 2011, 01:18 PM
Post #4

Experienced Member

Echo, how did you determine this? Sounds like a manufacture defect.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jun 22 2011, 01:29 PM
Post #5

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

QUOTE (EchoMirage @ Jun 22 2011, 07:55 AM) *
if hes so smart he should explain to me how i had a warped brembo rotor, fresh out of the box without a pad ever touching it.

I might know that one. Rotors are supposed to be stored flat in the box and not standing on edge. If they stand on edge long enough while sitting on the shelf, they seem to take a "set" in a flexed position. At least that was my experience when I worked in the auto parts business and we turned brake drums and rotors in the back. I've seen warped (bent?) ones on the lathe on a few occasions, some were new from the box.

+Quote Post
Steve91T
post Jun 22 2011, 01:31 PM
Post #6

Experienced Member

Member No.: 9,105

I had the same thing happen to me. I don't remember what brand, but one rotor was so warped that I'd actually call it bent. I put it on and it spun it with just the caliper bracket on, and it actually hit the bracket on one side. There was no doubt that they were warped out of the box.

From what I found out, sometimes if they aren't stacked properly in the factory, all the weight sitting on them unevenly can actually warp, or bend them.

I had to run to the auto parts store and get cheap ones to get me to my track event, which I quickly cracked.

Steve

+Quote Post
EchoMirage
post Jun 23 2011, 11:18 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (trackbird @ Jun 22 2011, 09:29 AM) *
I might know that one. Rotors are supposed to be stored flat in the box and not standing on edge. If they stand on edge long enough while sitting on the shelf, they seem to take a "set" in a flexed position. At least that was my experience when I worked in the auto parts business and we turned brake drums and rotors in the back. I've seen warped (bent?) ones on the lathe on a few occasions, some were new from the box.

i know. you can just drop a rotor and itll warp, which also could have happened. point is, rotors do warp, either from damage or heat. it is NOT just pad buildup, i don't believe that for a second. this particular rotor was so bad i had to keep a white knuckle deathgrip on the wheel when braking while on track, the steering wheel was shaking that bad. i was 3hrs from home and already paid for the day, so no way was i just going to pack up and go home. i had it cut afterwards, and it was significantly warped. tirerack finally gave me a break on another set of C5s, after complaining several times.

+Quote Post
FASTFATBOY
post Jun 23 2011, 01:27 PM
Post #8

Experienced Member

QUOTE (EchoMirage @ Jun 23 2011, 11:18 AM) *
QUOTE (trackbird @ Jun 22 2011, 09:29 AM) *

i know. you can just drop a rotor and itll warp, which also could have happened. point is, rotors do warp, either from damage or heat. it is NOT just pad buildup, i don't believe that for a second. this particular rotor was so bad i had to keep a white knuckle deathgrip on the wheel when braking while on track, the steering wheel was shaking that bad. i was 3hrs from home and already paid for the day, so no way was i just going to pack up and go home. i had it cut afterwards, and it was significantly warped. tirerack finally gave me a break on another set of C5s, after complaining several times.

If you read that article, it says that if the rotor was good to begin with, mounting surfaces clean, mounted and torqued correctly he has never seen a rotor warp.

Funny Echo, I carry a spare set of rotors with me to every event(among other spares). You had this happen and crack on me for carrying spares lol!

+Quote Post
EchoMirage
post Jun 24 2011, 12:35 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

i really don't care what you think. if everyone followed your sage advice theyd bring a spare motor and trans to an autox

+Quote Post
racerx
post Jun 24 2011, 04:17 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,989

QUOTE (EchoMirage @ Jun 24 2011, 05:35 AM) *
i really don't care what you think. if everyone followed your sage advice theyd bring a spare motor and trans to an autox

Wait a second, I don't need to bring a spare motor and transmission to a autox.

Since I don't need those, then do I need to bring the spare chassis with me too?

+Quote Post
FASTFATBOY
post Jun 24 2011, 08:26 PM
Post #11

Experienced Member

QUOTE (EchoMirage @ Jun 24 2011, 12:35 PM) *

Even a dumb Ass brings parts to be prepared for something that's already happened to them Lmao.

You had this happen and STILL don't carry a spare set.

Suuure woulda been nice to have had a spare set to slap on the car that day wouldn't it? LMAO!

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it, no?

I will continue to go prepared and get my money out of my trackdays, you keep flying by the seat of your pants lol.

+Quote Post
EchoMirage
post Jun 24 2011, 11:46 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

yeah i forgot, youre a drag racer whos been to one trackday, so now you know everything. nice to see thats working out for you scooter

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jun 25 2011, 01:20 AM
Post #13

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

Gentlemen. You guys don't have to agree, but you're not going to turn this into a disaster of a thread. I haven't had to do any moderating around here in a long time (which is a great reflection on all of our members), please don't make me start now.

TB

+Quote Post
wrencher
post Jun 25 2011, 03:31 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 20,108

I will agree that a good set of race pads properly seated & cooled the rotor will hold up well.
Usually cracks first before it'll warp.
But have seen the occational warpage. Who knows why lots of reasons for it.

Street cars/daily drivers, I see it more often. Kind of funny, but you have no idea how some people drive their cars out there.
A lot of times it's a car that had a rotor turned all ready. Or the wheels on a floating rotor set up where torqued by he-man.
Some just plain tear their #$@% up. I have pulled purple rotors from street cars lol.
Must be the 2 foot drivers !

This post has been edited by wrencher: Jun 25 2011, 03:32 AM

+Quote Post
FASTFATBOY
post Jun 25 2011, 01:46 PM
Post #15

Experienced Member

QUOTE (wrencher @ Jun 25 2011, 03:31 AM) *
I will agree that a good set of race pads properly seated & cooled the rotor will hold up well.
Usually cracks first before it'll warp.
But have seen the occational warpage. Who knows why lots of reasons for it.

Street cars/daily drivers, I see it more often. Kind of funny, but you have no idea how some people drive their cars out there.
A lot of times it's a car that had a rotor turned all ready. Or the wheels on a floating rotor set up where torqued by he-man.
Some just plain tear their #$@% up. I have pulled purple rotors from street cars lol.
Must be the 2 foot drivers !

Trackbird, yassir boss. Just pokin'.

I pulled a brand new Honda Odyssey in the shop once, soccer mom, 2500 miles the fronts were destroyed!

She couldn't understand why it wasn't warranty Lmao.

In the article it states that if:
All mounting surfaces are true and clean
Torqued properly
Pads properly bedded

He has never seen a warped rotor under these conditions.

As a dealership service writer I only saw techs bed in pads after a brake job 20% of the time, never saw a wheel put on with a torque wrench or torque sticks.

When I wrenched in Ford dealers in to 90's we had to do those things, Ford had a huge problem with brakes on trucks back then.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 08:18 AM