IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Unbalanced EngineeringHotpart.comBlaine Fabrication.comSolo PerformanceUMI Performance

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A little information please
Sam Strano
post Jan 2 2008, 07:35 PM
Post #1

Experienced Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 76

Considering trying to make Memphis this year. I checked out the site, and have read around here a bit, but there are some things I'm trying to get square on.

Honestly, all the "see this page, see that page" stuff just runs together.

What I'm looking to find out:

1. When do I have to be there to register (plan on AX, RR, and maybe TT)?
2. Does any of the lapping interfere with the AX, or vice-versa?
3. Is the TT for anything beyone bragging rights time only? Curious more than anything
4. Like equipment... what does that mean? I have a Sparco Evo seat, but I use a stock passenger seat, will this pose a problem for anyone?
5. What are the safety requirements for the road course?
6. Out of curiousity, would I be a Novice? I have open-track experience, Summit Point and Nelson Ledges. I know that folks like me have been "noviced" by different clubs and then harassed extensively because we are used to making a car move. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
7. How hard on brakes is MMP? I know it's got a long front straight, but I also know turn 1 is really quick which shouldn't pound brakes.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jan 2 2008, 08:32 PM
Post #2

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

Sam, I'll answer what I can and leave you to Bock and Andris.

1. Register in advance through the website (I don't have the link, but let me know if you need it and I'll find it).

2. Autocross and drag race run together. Usually part of the autocross course is part of (a turn or a few) of the road course with cones to make it "two way" for an out and back type run, in Memphis we used a section of parking lot as well.

3. I think it's just bragging rights. No money involved, maybe a trophy.

#4-7 I'll leave to the others.

+Quote Post
z28tt
post Jan 2 2008, 08:39 PM
Post #3

www.skulte.com

Member No.: 515

QUOTE (Sam Strano @ Jan 2 2008, 02:35 PM) *
Considering trying to make Memphis this year. I checked out the site, and have read around here a bit, but there are some things I'm trying to get square on.

Sam - That would be great if you could make it! There's always a fun caravan from MD as well.

1. When do I have to be there to register (plan on AX, RR, and maybe TT)?
2. Does any of the lapping interfere with the AX, or vice-versa?
3. Is the TT for anything beyone bragging rights time only? Curious more than anything
4. Like equipment... what does that mean? I have a Sparco Evo seat, but I use a stock passenger seat, will this pose a problem for anyone?
5. What are the safety requirements for the road course?
6. Out of curiousity, would I be a Novice? I have open-track experience, Summit Point and Nelson Ledges. I know that folks like me have been "noviced" by different clubs and then harassed extensively because we are used to making a car move. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
7. How hard on brakes is MMP? I know it's got a long front straight, but I also know turn 1 is really quick which shouldn't pound brakes.

1 - Arriving at the hotel Wednesday afternoon makes it much easier. Registration/payment is done online, so you just pick up your drivers packet, get the car teched, and participate in the drivers meeting Wednesday night. Contact me if you can't make it until Thur morning, but much of the event is the camaraderie at the hotel.

2. No. The autox/drag events use portions of the road course.

3. You get a shiny trophy too!

4. I'd have no problem with that as long as the passenger seat had a safe harness setup. There are very inexpensive competition seats out there. Fit&Finish is what you'd expect for under $100, but the passenger will be able to sit back an learn from the ride instead of having a death grip on the armrests during right handers! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

5. Std autox safety tech usually covers it.

6. No. The novice groups are usually for folks who have either never done track days, or still getting used to performance driving. The guys who'll be in novice are those who may have autox experience, but no high speed track events, where consequences of overdriving might be a bit more significant than a cone scuff. Most of us started out in autox as well... Your 1x10^3 autox runs is definitely helpful.

7. Turn 1 was about an 8x mph 180 degree sweeper, from what I remember in the rental mustang on street tires. The front straight you'll probably see 120-140, depending on the HP and your exit speed through grants tomb. There is a pretty decent braking zone in the esses, after you've gotten the brakes nice and hot in turn 1, and is where the rental faded most often. If you're on race rubber, you'll want to run competition brake pads and fresh fluid.

HTH!

Andris

+Quote Post
Racer X
post Jan 2 2008, 10:40 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 120

Beat me to it Sam. I was going to start one of these threads myself. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

In addition to what has already been covered....

1) I assume we can unload Thursday morning at the site and leave everything there until Saturday night? How secure is this place?

2) Since I don't have the money to burn through a set of tires and pads, I won't be tracking the car (even though I really want to).

I guess I'll be drag racing it instead (that's OK - good practice for the Pros). Looking at the schedule that means I'll miss a drag session Friday morning as well as the eliminations Saturday if I want to autocross. That shouldn't pose a problem to anyone other than myself, should it?

This post has been edited by Racer X: Jan 2 2008, 10:41 PM

+Quote Post
Sam Strano
post Jan 2 2008, 11:35 PM
Post #5

Experienced Member

Ok, I'm in. What the hell, I guess I should actually use the Camaro for some fun instead of letting it sit so much. Korry, if you are planning on going (and it seems you are) maybe we can bunk up.

If I'm going that far I'm doing it. Just not drag racing, not my bag. RR, TT, and AX. I guess I better bring some tires. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Racer X
post Jan 4 2008, 02:39 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Racer X @ Jan 2 2008, 04:40 PM) *
1) I assume we can unload Thursday morning at the site and leave everything there until Saturday night? How secure is this place?

2) Since I don't have the money to burn through a set of tires and pads, I won't be tracking the car (even though I really want to).

I guess I'll be drag racing it instead (that's OK - good practice for the Pros). Looking at the schedule that means I'll miss a drag session Friday morning as well as the eliminations Saturday if I want to autocross. That shouldn't pose a problem to anyone other than myself, should it?

Anybody?

+Quote Post
cccbock
post Jan 4 2008, 09:27 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,113

QUOTE (Racer X @ Jan 4 2008, 09:39 AM) *
QUOTE (Racer X @ Jan 2 2008, 04:40 PM) *

Anybody?

Although locked at night, I would not recommend leaving the tow rig, car or trailer at the track.

That said, I need to contact the track manager to see if they will allow it.

Stay tuned.

Bock

+Quote Post
Racer X
post Jan 4 2008, 09:32 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (cccbock @ Jan 4 2008, 03:27 PM) *
Although locked at night, I would not recommend leaving the tow rig, car or trailer at the track.

That said, I need to contact the track manager to see if they will allow it.

Stay tuned.

Bock

Yikes. Packing up everyday would not be fun.

Thanks.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jan 4 2008, 10:01 PM
Post #9

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Everyone pretty much packed up and towed back to the hotel each night. I remember that about my last trip to Memphis.

+Quote Post
Sam Strano
post Jan 4 2008, 10:24 PM
Post #10

Experienced Member

Why? Is the track in a bad area? Are there no gates? I think I'd generally feel safer with my stuff locked in a race facility than out in the open in hotel parking lot....

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jan 4 2008, 10:44 PM
Post #11

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (Sam Strano @ Jan 4 2008, 05:24 PM) *
Why? Is the track in a bad area? Are there no gates? I think I'd generally feel safer with my stuff locked in a race facility than out in the open in hotel parking lot....

It's Memphis. It's out in an interesting area. It's a bit out of the way and not real well populated (nobody would be seen out messing around there). And, they hired security for the parking lot so everyone parked together and we had people watching stuff.

+Quote Post
AndyJ
post Jan 4 2008, 11:12 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 791

QUOTE (trackbird @ Jan 4 2008, 04:44 PM) *

It's Memphis. It's out in an interesting area. It's a bit out of the way and not real well populated (nobody would be seen out messing around there). And, they hired security for the parking lot so everyone parked together and we had people watching stuff.

RV Parking available inside the fence?

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jan 4 2008, 11:21 PM
Post #13

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (AndyJ @ Jan 4 2008, 06:12 PM) *

I don't think anyone can stay at the track (take Bock's word on it and not mine though). You'd have to set up along the road by the hotel or hit a truck stop.

+Quote Post
Racer X
post Jan 5 2008, 12:23 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

New question....

Q:What about car numbers?
A:Car numbers are limited from 2-999 and cannot contain letters or preceeding zeroes. At all times during the event, your car number should be displayed on the windshield as well as the passenger rear window area or passenger side of the back glass and should be large enough to be seen from the Control Tower (Drag Race) or the Pit Marshal (Road Race). You keep the same number for all events. In years past the Event supplied numbers, however this is a cost item we have deleted from the budget. Please make sure you can put numbers on your car. Acceptable applications are shoe polish or similar marking pen, pre printed numbers that affix with adhesive (beware magnetic numbers fly off!) or blue masking tape.

Would six inch numbers be suitable? Eight inch?

Obviously I'd like 'em to be as small as possible for the windshield.

+Quote Post
Racer X
post Jan 7 2008, 05:04 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Six inch numbers it is then! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
BigEnos
post Jan 7 2008, 05:18 PM
Post #16

Collo Rosso

Member No.: 839

QUOTE (Racer X @ Jan 7 2008, 12:04 PM) *

The two times I've been, the numbers haven't been more than 6" for the windshield. That should be fine.

+Quote Post
Racer X
post Jan 7 2008, 07:50 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Thanks Brian.

+Quote Post
cccbock
post Jan 11 2008, 01:56 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,113

QUOTE (AndyJ @ Jan 4 2008, 06:12 PM) *

I did not ask about RV parking, but relative to trailer rigs, here is the track manager's response:

Bock:

We do not have overnight security but they can leave rigs parked overnight at their own risk. It would probably be just as safe here as a hotel parking lot.

Gary Graves
Director of Operations & Public Safety
Memphis International Motorsports Corporation
5500 Victory Lane
Millington, TN 38053
Direct: 901.354.2534
Fax: 901.358.7274
ggraves@dovermotorsports.com

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:11 PM