IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Blaine Fabrication.comUnbalanced EngineeringHotpart.comUMI PerformanceSolo Performance
23 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The new to me 1992 Z28, Photos and build information inside
trackbird
post Jun 9 2007, 02:19 PM
Post #41

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

QUOTE (mitchntx @ Jun 8 2007, 10:24 PM) *
You planning on keeping a spare tire in there?

Nope. I was thinking that I should cut the bracket out (unless there is a good reason not to) as well as many other brackets along the way. I don't have a spot weld cutter, but I probably should look into one. I intend to take out all of the brackets that I can since I won't be needing them.

What do you guys think I can get a stripped 3rd gen to weigh once it's missing all of the extras? Is it possible to get to 2,600 lbs before the cage?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nape
post Jun 9 2007, 05:49 PM
Post #42

Veteran Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 540

If you're taking side windows and inside guts of the door out, you can get there.

My car is down to 3020 with me (215lbs), 15 gals of fuel (6.5lbs/gal = ~98lbs), and approx 100ft of cage (1.6lb/ft = 160lbs). That puts the car at approx 2550 before me and fuel (with iron heads).

There's a ton of work to get down to that weight though. I stripped my car for over two months before I sent it to the fabricator. Every bracket is gone, all seam filler is gone (over 10lbs), and I even cut 15lbs out of the roof structure.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jun 9 2007, 10:05 PM
Post #43

FRRAX Owner/Admin

TJ,

Is that with a glass hood or the steel one?

I've already got aluminum heads, but I've got a Stealth Ram intake so there's some extra weight back. I am intending to gut the doors and replace the hood with a lighter glass hood (it has glass, but it's a heavy one). I was going to say 2,500 lbs, but I decided that was too light. I'm starting to think it's not too light.....(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Jun 9 2007, 10:33 PM
Post #44

I build race cars

Member No.: 874

QUOTE (trackbird @ Jun 9 2007, 09:19 AM) *
QUOTE (mitchntx @ Jun 8 2007, 10:24 PM) *
You planning on keeping a spare tire in there?

Nope. I was thinking that I should cut the bracket out (unless there is a good reason not to) as well as many other brackets along the way. I don't have a spot weld cutter, but I probably should look into one. I intend to take out all of the brackets that I can since I won't be needing them.

There's 35-40# of unused interior brackets - a sawzall will leave 10-20% of that plus ragged sharp edges. The spot weld cutter will get all of the metal out, and leave only minor burrs that are easy to smooth off with a flap disc.

+Quote Post
mitchntx
post Jun 10 2007, 02:46 AM
Post #45

Nothing says 'I love you.' like a box of Hydroshoks

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4

At a local hardware store, I found a carbide drill bit that had a point on it and then cutters on the outer edge.

Not sure if it is technically is a spot weld cutter, but it certainly does a number on them.

Have to be careful not to go all the way through, though. cut a little, pry a little ...

+Quote Post
nape
post Jun 10 2007, 03:06 AM
Post #46

Veteran Member

QUOTE (trackbird @ Jun 9 2007, 05:05 PM) *
TJ,

Is that with a glass hood or the steel one?

I've already got aluminum heads, but I've got a Stealth Ram intake so there's some extra weight back. I am intending to gut the doors and replace the hood with a lighter glass hood (it has glass, but it's a heavy one). I was going to say 2,500 lbs, but I decided that was too light. I'm starting to think it's not too light.....(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Fiberglass hood, a real flimsy one.

I forgot to mention, the front bumper is made from 1.5" x .083" tubing (I think, can't remember what I ordered). Pretty much a copy of Randy's idea. Rear bumper will be getting replaced when life settles down a little.

A lot of the build pics are in the link to my sig, make sure you look at '06 pics too.

How much fabricating do you want to/can you do? I have ideas on how to remove another 50+ lbs from the front end but not the time or money right now.

PS- lexan in the rear hatch removes 60+ lbs according to a buddy. One of the better $/lb ratios if you're going to spend money, too bad it's off the rear of the car. Not as much of a problem for a road race car vs. an autocrosser though.

This post has been edited by nape: Jun 10 2007, 03:08 AM

+Quote Post
StanIROCZ
post Jun 11 2007, 03:08 AM
Post #47

Veteran Member

Member No.: 1,144

TJ, do you have a full exhaust or just something short?

+Quote Post
nape
post Jun 11 2007, 04:39 AM
Post #48

Veteran Member

Short. It's a 3" Dynomax bullet right on the end of the y-pipe with a turndown pointing out the side of the car. My exhaust hanger is a ~4" piece of 1" x 1/8" AL flat stock bolted to the pinch rail and muffler with 1/4-20 hardware, known as the ghetto hanger.

It's surprisingly quiet (but good) with the stock L98, it's one of the quieter cars on the AI grid. I can't wait to see how it sounds with a real motor.

Pretty much everything has been done for weight.

If it ain't light, it ain't right! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/rotf.gif)

This post has been edited by nape: Jun 11 2007, 04:40 AM

+Quote Post
sgarnett
post Jun 11 2007, 03:34 PM
Post #49

Seeking round tuits

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (mitchntx @ Jun 9 2007, 10:46 PM) *
At a local hardware store, I found a carbide drill bit that had a point on it and then cutters on the outer edge.

Not sure if it is technically is a spot weld cutter, but it certainly does a number on them.

I think you may be describing a bit designed for glass.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jun 23 2007, 05:15 AM
Post #50

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Well, I'm still waiting on suspension stuff, so I decided to toss some of the extra weight that I wasn't going to need any longer.

As you can see, it got pretty serious for a little while. I had the dash out and I'd already removed the stuff under the hood (I need to get something to patch the holes with tomorrow).

Quite an impressive pile for a little bit of work.

And, I did bolt the dash back in tonight. I have to tie up or remove some of the stuff that's back there (like the cruise control module, etc) and wrap things up for now. I'm sure that more of it will come out later, but for now, I'm calling it good. At least I can reach things to work on them.

I got a spot weld cutter from eastwood tonight. It seemed to cut well at first, but it didn't take long for me to find a way to dull it (I think), or I just got tired and it seemed dull afterwards? Either way, I'll give it another shot, but I think I might be in search of a better way.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Picture_111__Small_.jpg ( 70.36K ) Number of downloads: 113
Attached File  Picture_118__Small_.jpg ( 55.49K ) Number of downloads: 90
Attached File  Picture_117__Small_.jpg ( 73.66K ) Number of downloads: 109

+Quote Post
nape
post Jun 23 2007, 06:04 AM
Post #51

Veteran Member

I've never used the Eastwood cutter, but the one from Blair works excellent: http://www.blairequipment.com/Spotweld_Cut...ld_Cutters.html

#13224 is what I have. You just have to be careful when you flip the cutter over after you break a tooth off. If you squeeze too hard you'll break the cutter. Mildly expensive, but worth their weight in gold over drilling through then having to fill.

+Quote Post
axoid
post Jun 23 2007, 10:44 AM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Member No.: 70

Kevin,
I'm sure your going to trailer the car to distant events, but are you going to use little trailer behind the car for local events? I have an old third gen hitch you can have for free if you want it.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jun 23 2007, 01:36 PM
Post #53

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (axoid @ Jun 23 2007, 06:44 AM) *
Kevin,
I'm sure your going to trailer the car to distant events, but are you going to use little trailer behind the car for local events? I have an old third gen hitch you can have for free if you want it.

Nah, I'll probably just drive it to local stuff. But I've got a draw bar that might fit your hitch that I'm trying to get rid of. Maybe we can make it a set for someone. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif)

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jun 24 2007, 06:50 AM
Post #54

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Patch panels are on the firewall. Autometer shift light is installed where the vent used to be. Autometer oil pressure warning light is installed under the dash. I pulled the heater bypass valve and all of the associated plumbing that was lumped in there with it.

I've still got a lot of work to do.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Picture_125__Small_.jpg ( 72.38K ) Number of downloads: 99
Attached File  Picture_126__Small_.jpg ( 63.45K ) Number of downloads: 92

+Quote Post
Shortcutsleeping
post Jun 24 2007, 12:24 PM
Post #55

Experienced Member

Member No.: 62

<parts-hound hat = ON>

So...uh...Kevin, it looks GREAT! But I mean really, that ugly old airbag steering wheel, WOW that is ug-LEE...I'm sure you are going to get a nice wheel for it and when you do, just remember, I'm here for you. I'll take that old stock wheel so you don't have to worry about it ANYmore... (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

that is, as long as the foam inside it hasnt broken down and made it feel like the outside of the wheel isnt attached to the inside. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Lookin good!

Costas
cars and such...

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jun 24 2007, 02:39 PM
Post #56

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Costas,

That wheel was listed in several for sale threads. It's "leaving", I'm just not sure when. The leather sucks (worn through) and the air bag cover is a bit warped, but it's a real airbag wheel and if it's useful to you, send me a pm and let me know what it's worth and I'll see if a new wheel is in the budget yet.

(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
AndyJ
post Jun 24 2007, 03:15 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Member No.: 791

QUOTE (Shortcutsleeping @ Jun 24 2007, 07:24 AM) *
<parts-hound hat = ON>

So...uh...Kevin, it looks GREAT! But I mean really, that ugly old airbag steering wheel, WOW that is ug-LEE...I'm sure you are going to get a nice wheel for it and when you do, just remember, I'm here for you. I'll take that old stock wheel so you don't have to worry about it ANYmore... (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

that is, as long as the foam inside it hasnt broken down and made it feel like the outside of the wheel isnt attached to the inside. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Lookin good!

Costas
cars and such...

Paul,

Will a wheel out of a '96 work for you? Mine is coming out sometime this winter and it is still real decent.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jun 24 2007, 03:53 PM
Post #58

FRRAX Owner/Admin

I'm noticing that the kid who originally owned/built this car was a real rocket scientist. The neutral safety switch was jumpered with one of those "golf keys". The little key with two prongs on it (I'm not a golfer, so I don't remember what it's for) and wrapped in electrical tape. The IAT wires have been extended, the ends were tinned with solder and plugged into the connector (just laying on the intake manifold.....you didn't do that did you Mike?). The cruise cut off switch (or clutch switch, not sure which one it was supposed to be) is just tied up under the dash and not installed into anything. The hole he cut for the clutch master cylinder in the firewall is about 50% larger than it should have been and I'm going to have to patch the firewall and make a new hole. It all works ok, but it is a less than ideal job. Other than that, and the random and misc. wires that seem to be everywhere, all is about normal. So, I'm doing a build up and clean up all in one shot.

I'm sure I'll find other stuff as I go along.(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Mojave
post Jun 24 2007, 10:58 PM
Post #59

I suck at the auto-x :(

Member No.: 727

QUOTE (trackbird @ Jun 24 2007, 10:53 AM) *
I'm noticing that the kid who originally owned/built this car was a real rocket scientist. The neutral safety switch was jumpered with one of those "golf keys". The little key with two prongs on it (I'm not a golfer, so I don't remember what it's for) and wrapped in electrical tape. The IAT wires have been extended, the ends were tinned with solder and plugged into the connector (just laying on the intake manifold.....you didn't do that did you Mike?). The cruise cut off switch (or clutch switch, not sure which one it was supposed to be) is just tied up under the dash and not installed into anything. The hole he cut for the clutch master cylinder in the firewall is about 50% larger than it should have been and I'm going to have to patch the firewall and make a new hole. It all works ok, but it is a less than ideal job. Other than that, and the random and misc. wires that seem to be everywhere, all is about normal. So, I'm doing a build up and clean up all in one shot.

I'm sure I'll find other stuff as I go along.(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Sounds like a 3rd gen to me (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Shortcutsleeping
post Jun 25 2007, 01:45 AM
Post #60

Experienced Member

Member No.: 62

Thanks, but a 96 won't work.

It's a 92, so for FStawk it has to have a 92 wheel in it. B4C2 has a wheel with the middle top all squishy and not really attached to the metal very good and it bugs me.

Kevin, if your wheel is in decent shape (besides wear) and you are replacing it, then let me know. I don't need the airbag, just the wheel.

Costas
cars and such...

+Quote Post

23 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:19 AM