IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Hotpart.comUMI PerformanceSolo PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.comUnbalanced Engineering

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Just got my QuickJack lift in!!!!
Steve91T
post Sep 20 2015, 09:36 AM
Post #1

Experienced Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 9,105

I've been wanting this thing for a long time. Overpriced floor jack or not, this thing is awesome.

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Steve91T/Phone%20back%20up/2015-09/65E2B42D-70E5-41E6-A08A-9842C6F4B8F8.jpg)

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Steve91T/Phone%20back%20up/2015-09/44065B4B-F545-41F1-BEC0-9EBD99FBC24A.jpg)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Sep 20 2015, 02:12 PM
Post #2

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

I could see some cool uses for that (depending on the price). I hate that it blocks access from the sides but I like that you can actually still get to the transmission.

+Quote Post
v7guy
post Sep 20 2015, 04:17 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

It does look like it could be really convenient, but ouch, $1300, that hurts! Congrats on the new purchase!

+Quote Post
Steve91T
post Sep 20 2015, 06:41 PM
Post #4

Experienced Member

I got the 3,500 lb lift as I'm really only going to be using it for my Camaro and E36 M3. It was $895 shipped. I got the 12v pump so I just hook it up to the battery using jumper cables and up it goes. It's going to be really nice at track days.

+Quote Post
dailydriver
post Sep 20 2015, 09:44 PM
Post #5

Experienced Member

Member No.: 1,589

I guess that's NOT a bad price, considering one could actually spend MORE coin on a real, Brunnhoelzl racing jack. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/gr_eek2.gif)

+Quote Post
Jacob
post Sep 21 2015, 02:18 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,078

Super jealous! Thought long and hard about getting one of those, but don't work on the car enough these days to justify it.

May I ask, how is the stability of the two jacks? Does the car sway at all with them at full extension in the air?

+Quote Post
Steve91T
post Sep 21 2015, 04:12 PM
Post #7

Experienced Member

I've been trying to justify getting this lift for a couple of years now, or whenever they first came out, but I kept talking myself out of it. It may seem like a glorified floor jack, but I have to say, it's really really nice to have.

I've only played with it the other day, but here are my impressions. It's easy and quick to set up. Simply slide the ramps under the car, plug in the hydraulic hoses using quick disconnects, hook up the power unit to jumper cables and hit the up button. The first thing I noticed is the ramps lift at the exact same rate. I don't know how it does it, but it does. It's also fast. It says about 30 seconds from flat to full lift, but I swear it's faster than that. There are two locking positions. The first position is perfect for doing brakes and suspension work. It's almost too high. The second position is high enough to be under the car doing work. I'm going to be swapping torque arms this week, I'm anxious to see how it is. The locks are a simple bar that fit into a notch in the frame of the lift. Lift it up until the locks drop in place then lower it until the locks are supporting the weight.

Jacob, with the lift locked in the highest position, I grabbed the roll bar and tried to move the car. It had zero movement. I was expecting some movement, but it was rock solid.

With floor jacks and stands, to get all 4 wheels off the ground was a job. And I hate working on the side near my garage wall, no room for the jack. I don't have that problem anymore.

Bringing this thing to track days is going to be so nice.

I'm thinking about buying a cheap car battery for this thing. It'd be nice to not have to worry about opening the hood and hooking up jumper cables. At track days, the battery will be hooked up so all I have to do is park the car, slide the ramps under the car and hit the up button. Having the extra battery in the garage would also save some time. I'm going to work on that this afternoon. I just moved and haven't organized my garage yet.

If you think about it, most people don't have room for a two post lift, so you'd be looking at the partial lifts that cost 2-3 times as much, weigh like 2000 lbs. sure they lift higher, but for less than a grand, 100% portable and is only 3" high fully collapsed, this QuickJack is hard to beat.

The only thing that may be a challenge is the ramps are a little short. Using the front jack points on the Camaro, the rear lifts from my subframe connectors. If you don't have subframe connectors, this could be a problem. I'm sure there is a solution though. I'll see how it does with the M3 later today.

This post has been edited by Steve91T: Sep 21 2015, 04:25 PM

+Quote Post
SuperMacGuy
post Sep 21 2015, 05:07 PM
Post #8

Experienced Member

Member No.: 462

I got one recently too! I got the 5000XL because 3500lbs for a street car is not quite enough. I like it a lot! I use the rear LCA points as my rear lift area. Yeah it's compact, sort of portable, and doesn't take up a lot of room in my shop, and/or I can keep it under the car if I need unimpeded side access.
I also had years of using 2 jacks in a 1 car garage and never had enough room for things. This is perfect for wheel work, brake work, engine and front end work! Wish I knew about it sooner!

+Quote Post
dailydriver
post Sep 21 2015, 05:16 PM
Post #9

Experienced Member

QUOTE (Steve91T @ Sep 21 2015, 12:12 PM) *
And I hate working on the side near my garage wall, no room for the jack. I don't have that problem anymore.

THIS^^^ is exactly why I may be FORCED to buy these as well, since my homeowners' association (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/bigun2.gif) just sent me a letter informing me that I am violating the rules & regs by working on my car (not just oil changes/wheels off/major work, but even just HAVING THE HOOD OPEN!!), not only in the 'common area' parking spots, but EVEN IN MY OWN driveway!! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/angry.gif)

First infraction after this letter carries a $50.00 fine, with that increasing to $100.00 for the second , and then $250.00 for every one after that.
I have to MOVE to a less elitist/effete/snooty affluent area, I guess (or are they ALL like this?)?

+Quote Post
SuperMacGuy
post Sep 22 2015, 12:08 AM
Post #10

Experienced Member

Yeah HOA's are shi**y. That's INSANE they think they can enforce that in your own driveway. Mine had a clause that you could work on the car, but has to appear not actively worked on overnight, and could not be up on jacks long term. The time limit on that was 1 month so some other people got away with it for a while till they had to get it on the ground and finished up.

Almost every new community has stupid HOA rules these days, even single homes not just townhouses. It sucks. Only "old" communities seem to not have HOA's. Sadly, those kind of rules are written up at the time that communities/homes are built, and even brand new residents have almost no say in what goes into those documents. Our community required something like an 80% vote to change any of the core rules, and no community could ever reach that threshold for yay votes for anything.

You should reread the covenents/rules closely just to make sure that threat is correct. I was on the board and/or went to meeting and it was not lawyers just other regular folks and I saw them make easy mistakes in understanding of what the rules really say.

+Quote Post
Jacob
post Sep 22 2015, 03:29 PM
Post #11

I have to do a ton of front end work this winter on my car. Steve, you are making me really want one of these.

+Quote Post
Steve91T
post Sep 26 2015, 02:08 PM
Post #12

Experienced Member

Been working on the garage and thought I'd throw more pics up.

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Steve91T/Camaro/FD6F5432-D312-4004-A4BA-A22F6E497FCD.jpg)

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Steve91T/Camaro/C68653C2-157E-4CAD-9809-6D7364E954CC.jpg)

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Steve91T/Camaro/8D1A09F3-2CE7-4093-AF0E-48A646185178.jpg)

+Quote Post
dailydriver
post Sep 26 2015, 11:05 PM
Post #13

Experienced Member

IF I had a garage that size to work in, I would not even need the QuickJack!!

(But it still would be nice to have. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) )

+Quote Post
robz71lm7
post Sep 27 2015, 05:19 PM
Post #14

Veteran Member

Member No.: 40

Very nice.

+Quote Post
Smitty2919
post Sep 28 2015, 04:07 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 223,804

I would personally lean more toward the MaxJax lift. Like a mini portable 2 post lift That can be folded up and stored away.

+Quote Post
Jacob
post Sep 29 2015, 08:58 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (Smitty2919 @ Sep 28 2015, 12:07 PM) *
I would personally lean more toward the MaxJax lift. Like a mini portable 2 post lift That can be folded up and stored away.

Even though it is double the price?

+Quote Post
SuperMacGuy
post Sep 29 2015, 11:52 PM
Post #17

Experienced Member

Yeah but the QuickJack can be moved around and used anywhere (driveway, track, a friends house), the MaxJack needs to be bolted down into a secure floor. That's not really "portable", it's simply removable.

+Quote Post
SuperMacGuy
post Oct 2 2015, 10:54 PM
Post #18

Experienced Member

5000XL
(IMG:http://paveglio.com/postimages/IMG_3739.jpg)

(IMG:http://paveglio.com/postimages/IMG_3740.jpg)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:48 AM