IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Unbalanced EngineeringSolo PerformanceUMI PerformanceHotpart.comBlaine Fabrication.com

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Just Checked out a 5th Gen
Major_Lee_Slow
post May 4 2009, 04:59 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 876

I just got back from checking out a 5th Gen at the local dealer (I saw it as I drove by and had to stop). IMHO I think it's a good looking car except for the 20 in Dubs, but other than that I like it.

Sitting in the car with the stock seats there is not enough clearance for me with a helmet and get the proper seating position. Note I have a long mid section and short arms and legs. I'm 6 ft with a 30 in in-seem.

It was a V6 car with 20 in wheels, 245's on the front and 275's on the rear. The rear fender lip is already rolled and there appears to be ample clearance to go wider on the rear tires depending how much track change there is with bump movement.

The front is another story. If one keeps the 20 in dubs any wider wheel will interfere with the spring perch on the strut. Maybe if a more reasonable 18 inch wheel was used one could go wider, but I don't know if an 18 wheel will clear the 14 inch brembo's on the V8 model.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
LS1_Alex
post May 5 2009, 06:02 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,712

QUOTE (Major_Lee_Slow @ May 4 2009, 09:59 AM) *
I just got back from checking out a 5th Gen at the local dealer (I saw it as I drove by and had to stop). IMHO I think it's a good looking car except for the 20 in Dubs, but other than that I like it.

Sitting in the car with the stock seats there is not enough clearance for me with a helmet and get the proper seating position. Note I have a long mid section and short arms and legs. I'm 6 ft with a 30 in in-seem.

It was a V6 car with 20 in wheels, 245's on the front and 275's on the rear. The rear fender lip is already rolled and there appears to be ample clearance to go wider on the rear tires depending how much track change there is with bump movement.

The front is another story. If one keeps the 20 in dubs any wider wheel will interfere with the spring perch on the strut. Maybe if a more reasonable 18 inch wheel was used one could go wider, but I don't know if an 18 wheel will clear the 14 inch brembo's on the V8 model.

I read the height is adjustable on all the seat versions.

+Quote Post
z28jeff
post May 5 2009, 11:49 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 917

QUOTE (Major_Lee_Slow @ May 4 2009, 10:59 AM) *

I've read that 18's won't clear. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) You're pretty much stuck with the bling. Does Hoosier even make 20" r-comp tires? Without checking, I'm thinking no.

+Quote Post
Eskimo
post May 5 2009, 12:14 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,065

QUOTE (z28jeff @ May 5 2009, 07:49 AM) *
I've read that 18's won't clear. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) You're pretty much stuck with the bling. Does Hoosier even make 20" r-comp tires? Without checking, I'm thinking no.

They make plenty of 19's though... those should clear.

+Quote Post
Major_Lee_Slow
post May 5 2009, 01:02 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (LS1_Alex @ May 5 2009, 01:02 AM) *

I lowered the seat as far as it would go. The only solution to the head clearance issue (while retaining the stock seats) was to lean the seat back. In that position I couldn't comfortably reach the wheel without moving the seat so far forward that my knees were in the dash bolster. And I had the steering wheel adjusted to minimize the distance between me and it. So for my body, I'm SOL when it comes to fitment in the new car.

I had the same problem in the 4th gen till I moved to Corbeau seats and Alan's custom brackets so I could basically put the seat on the floor.

The stock seat in the 5th gen was really comfortable, kinda like a lazy boy recliner. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) This car is clearly made for Baby Boomer crowd that always wanted a Camaro, but never wanted the "inconvenience" of a sports car.

QUOTE (Eskimo)
I've read that 18's won't clear. rolleyes.gif You're pretty much stuck with the bling. Does Hoosier even make 20" r-comp tires? Without checking, I'm thinking no.

Hoosier does not yet make 20's, and I guess it's believable that 18's won't clear because the SS comes with 14 in rotors. I guess with all that mass huge brakes are mandatory.

+Quote Post
Eskimo
post May 5 2009, 02:47 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,065

QUOTE (Major_Lee_Slow @ May 5 2009, 09:02 AM) *
The stock seat in the 5th gen was really comfortable, kinda like a lazy boy recliner. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) This car is clearly made for Baby Boomer crowd that always wanted a Camaro, but never wanted the "inconvenience" of a sports car. .

There's a reason the slower, less powerful Mustang outsold the f-body by a pretty wide margin, and that had to have been one reason. Granted, it's also a reason I prefer the f-body! More than one "well rounded" person has tried to get into my car and complained about the seating position when they finally did, and then plopped their butt into a Mustang and liked it.

+Quote Post
LS1_Alex
post May 6 2009, 03:13 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,712

QUOTE (Major_Lee_Slow @ May 5 2009, 06:02 AM) *
QUOTE (LS1_Alex @ May 5 2009, 01:02 AM) *

I lowered the seat as far as it would go. The only solution to the head clearance issue (while retaining the stock seats) was to lean the seat back. In that position I couldn't comfortably reach the wheel without moving the seat so far forward that my knees were in the dash bolster. And I had the steering wheel adjusted to minimize the distance between me and it. So for my body, I'm SOL when it comes to fitment in the new car.

I had the same problem in the 4th gen till I moved to Corbeau seats and Alan's custom brackets so I could basically put the seat on the floor.

The stock seat in the 5th gen was really comfortable, kinda like a lazy boy recliner. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) This car is clearly made for Baby Boomer crowd that always wanted a Camaro, but never wanted the "inconvenience" of a sports car.

QUOTE (Eskimo)
I've read that 18's won't clear. rolleyes.gif You're pretty much stuck with the bling. Does Hoosier even make 20" r-comp tires? Without checking, I'm thinking no.

Hoosier does not yet make 20's, and I guess it's believable that 18's won't clear because the SS comes with 14 in rotors. I guess with all that mass huge brakes are mandatory.

Really... Did it have a sunroof? I read that takes away about 2 inches of headroom.

+Quote Post
ibzeus1987z
post May 6 2009, 03:58 AM
Post #8

Group: Members
Member No.: 564

Apple Valley Chevrolet is unveiling their Camaro tomorrow.
Had a full page ad on the buyers guide.

+Quote Post
Major_Lee_Slow
post May 6 2009, 01:23 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

The car I sat in did not have a sun roof.

+Quote Post
robz71lm7
post May 6 2009, 07:33 PM
Post #10

Veteran Member

Member No.: 40

QUOTE (Major_Lee_Slow @ May 4 2009, 12:59 PM) *

I'm also 6' with a 30" inseam. In my 4th gen I too had to use a race seat mounted almost to the floor in order to be able to reach the wheel with my helmet on (and not heavily rub the roof). Sad to hear the 5th gens may still be that way. Is the headroom any better at all?

+Quote Post
BigEnos
post May 6 2009, 08:21 PM
Post #11

Collo Rosso

Member No.: 839

QUOTE (robz71lm7 @ May 6 2009, 01:33 PM) *
QUOTE (Major_Lee_Slow @ May 4 2009, 12:59 PM) *

I'm also 6' with a 30" inseam. In my 4th gen I too had to use a race seat mounted almost to the floor in order to be able to reach the wheel with my helmet on (and not heavily rub the roof). Sad to hear the 5th gens may still be that way. Is the headroom any better at all?

I sat in a non-sunroof 2SS/RS and it seemed to have plenty of room. I didn't pay attention to whether my helmet would hit, though. I'm 5'11" with a 30" inseam.

+Quote Post
Major_Lee_Slow
post May 6 2009, 08:28 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

The only thing that's a little better is that I'm pretty sure the helmet would only hit the headliner and not the trim around the top of the window. That was one of the biggest problems for me whenever I looked left with the stock seat in my 98. Other than that, no, it's no better.

+Quote Post
ibzeus1987z
post May 15 2009, 03:22 AM
Post #13

Group: Members
Member No.: 564

Lmao.. don't know how you'ld fit with your helmet on.
Never thought that would be a consideration on a new sports car LOL
Anywho.. went to Apple Valley and they did NOT have the camaro. Sad sad (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

+Quote Post
Stang Killer
post May 15 2009, 04:59 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 392

The 20's arent that bad. I mean its a big car and would look extremely awkward with anything smaller. They would have the same issue as every Mustang since 99, that being the wheel wells are too big for the wheels, this being fixed when they gave the Cobra R 18's. The cars look a lot better with the optional 21's, and I have a good feeling that 22's on this car will be the equivalent of 18's on the 4th gen.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:35 PM