IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Blaine Fabrication.comUMI PerformanceSolo PerformanceUnbalanced EngineeringHotpart.com
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Steering wheel adapter
pharmd
post Jul 19 2012, 11:39 PM
Post #1

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 2,284

Anyone have an guidance on a steering wheel adapter (possibly quick release) for a sparco 345 suede wheel?

Also what oil cooler setup are most of you guys running? Do you feel it necessary to run any other coolers as well (tranny, diff etc)?

Thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FASTFATBOY
post Jul 19 2012, 11:57 PM
Post #2

Experienced Member

Member No.: 1,410

QUOTE (pharmd @ Jul 19 2012, 11:39 PM) *
Anyone have an guidance on a steering wheel adapter (possibly quick release) for a sparco 345 suede wheel?

Also what oil cooler setup are most of you guys running? Do you feel it necessary to run any other coolers as well (tranny, diff etc)?

Thanks in advance.

For HPDE events trans and rear end coolers are not really needed. Although I would put synthetic fluid in the rear, the trans could also use synthetic fluid.

A power steering cooler is needed, possibly with a re-valved pump from PSC($100). Try it with just the cooler first with Redline synthetic in the system. I use this cooler, cut a hole in the fan shroud under the passenger side fan and mounted it.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-13200/

The engine you are building might benefit from a cooler as it will be making some steam.

Improved racing makes an adapter that bolts above the oil filter, as far as the cooler itself look up "Long" or "stacked plate" oil coolers, use AN fittings and braided lines, get a 12-18 inch square cooler.

Personally I don't use an oil cooler, I use Royal Purple 10-40 and change it every 2 events. We run in the winter months only. Too damn hot down here to run in the summer.

+Quote Post
pharmd
post Jul 20 2012, 12:10 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (FASTFATBOY @ Jul 19 2012, 07:57 PM) *
QUOTE (pharmd @ Jul 19 2012, 11:39 PM) *

Thanks in advance.

For HPDE events trans and rear end coolers are not really needed. Although I would put synthetic fluid in the rear, the trans could also use synthetic fluid.

A power steering cooler is needed, possibly with a re-valved pump from PSC($100). Try it with just the cooler first with Redline synthetic in the system. I use this cooler, cut a hole in the fan shroud under the passenger side fan and mounted it.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-13200/

The engine you are building might benefit from a cooler as it will be making some steam.

Improved racing makes an adapter that bolts above the oil filter, as far as the cooler itself look up "Long" or "stacked plate" oil coolers, use AN fittings and braided lines, get a 12-18 inch square cooler.

Personally I don't use an oil cooler, I use Royal Purple 10-40 and change it every 2 events. We run in the winter months only. Too damn hot down here to run in the summer.

Im getting a turn 1 PS setup with billet pulley...they said most folks that run their setup don't need a PS cooler...so IDK. Does any one make a engine cooler "kit" that comes with all the hoses, fittings, cooler etc that you need to get it going?

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Jul 20 2012, 12:57 AM
Post #4

I build race cars

Member No.: 874

QUOTE (pharmd @ Jul 19 2012, 04:39 PM) *

Thanks in advance.

I sell this splined, bolt on QD, and fab the 3bolt to 6bolt adapter:

(IMG:http://www.blainefabrication.com/projects/2006_11_20/IMG_0871.JPG)

(IMG:http://www.blainefabrication.com/projects/2006_11_20/IMG_0872.JPG)

(IMG:http://www.blainefabrication.com/projects/2006_11_20/IMG_0873.JPG)

Except now I'm drilling more holes in the adapter and countersinking the 3 bolts flush, like this:

(IMG:http://members.cruzio.com/~ablaine/IMG_2299.JPG)

You'll lose the airbag. If you have a horn button with your wheel, I can make a spacer so it fits, you will need to wire an electrical tether for it.

+Quote Post
pharmd
post Jul 20 2012, 03:22 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (Blainefab @ Jul 19 2012, 08:57 PM) *
QUOTE (pharmd @ Jul 19 2012, 04:39 PM) *

Thanks in advance.

I sell this splined, bolt on QD, and fab the 3bolt to 6bolt adapter:

(IMG:http://www.blainefabrication.com/projects/2006_11_20/IMG_0871.JPG)

(IMG:http://www.blainefabrication.com/projects/2006_11_20/IMG_0872.JPG)

(IMG:http://www.blainefabrication.com/projects/2006_11_20/IMG_0873.JPG)

Except now I'm drilling more holes in the adapter and countersinking the 3 bolts flush, like this:

(IMG:http://members.cruzio.com/~ablaine/IMG_2299.JPG)

You'll lose the airbag. If you have a horn button with your wheel, I can make a spacer so it fits, you will need to wire an electrical tether for it.

Alan PM me a price for this with the spacer for horn. And do you have any other fire extinguisher mounts besides the roll bar mount?

+Quote Post
The Batman
post Jul 20 2012, 09:16 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 120,269

If possible, would you be able to pm me the costs of your hub adapter as well? I have a momo Gotham steering wheel

+Quote Post
dailydriver
post Jul 20 2012, 07:07 PM
Post #7

Experienced Member

Member No.: 1,589

QUOTE (The Batman @ Jul 20 2012, 05:16 AM) *
I have a momo Gotham steering wheel.

Made of genuine bat suede, I take it??!

+Quote Post
dailydriver
post Jul 20 2012, 07:10 PM
Post #8

Experienced Member

Alan, does that whole setup fit onto the stock, 4th gen f body steering shaft splines, or just your racing only steering column shafts??

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Jul 20 2012, 08:30 PM
Post #9

I build race cars

QUOTE (pharmd @ Jul 19 2012, 08:22 PM) *
Alan PM me a price for this with the spacer for horn. And do you have any other fire extinguisher mounts besides the roll bar mount?

PM sent on QD

I usually use rivnuts that have fingers that spread out on the backside, with a fender washer captivated by the fingers, and attach the bracket right onto the pan or tunnel, wherever there's enough flat space. The rollbar mount gives some other options if the space near the driver is full of other stuff.

I can make something custom at a reasonable price, too. Let me know what you are looking for.

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Jul 20 2012, 08:35 PM
Post #10

I build race cars

QUOTE (dailydriver @ Jul 20 2012, 12:10 PM) *
Alan, does that whole setup fit onto the stock, 4th gen f body steering shaft splines, or just your racing only steering column shafts??

This one is a bolt on to the OEM column on any 3rd or 4th gen Fbod, and C4 or C5 Ybod, and I'm sure there are others using the 36spline attachment.

There is some stuff that needs to come out to give space for the part that bolts to the shaft - the airbag clockspring, at least - it's retained by a circlip. The shroud can remain unmodified, but is a little tight to the QD for my fat fingers so I usually trim about 1/4" off of it.

+Quote Post
Driver_10
post Jul 21 2012, 03:58 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 142,347

How's my column coming along?
I know I still got another week of waiting, but I would love a teaser pic or three!!! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
dailydriver
post Jul 21 2012, 05:38 PM
Post #12

Experienced Member

QUOTE (Blainefab @ Jul 20 2012, 04:35 PM) *
QUOTE (dailydriver @ Jul 20 2012, 12:10 PM) *

This one is a bolt on to the OEM column on any 3rd or 4th gen Fbod, and C4 or C5 Ybod, and I'm sure there are others using the 36spline attachment.

There is some stuff that needs to come out to give space for the part that bolts to the shaft - the airbag clockspring, at least - it's retained by a circlip. The shroud can remain unmodified, but is a little tight to the QD for my fat fingers so I usually trim about 1/4" off of it.

Thanks, this part is in my future.

Most people dump ALL of the SRS pieces when they go to an aftermarket racing wheel anyway, at least I did.

Luckily, my state has gone to emissions only inspections, so they probably will not pick up on the illegal for street use quick release (they NEVER failed me yet for no driver's side airbag/sparco wheel, even when they DID a FULL inspection).

This post has been edited by dailydriver: Jul 21 2012, 05:38 PM

+Quote Post
Driver_10
post Jul 21 2012, 06:35 PM
Post #13

As far as I know, you must have safety items (this includes factory seat-belts, turn signals, rev lights, dash indicator lights, fog, driving and hi-beam lights) Fuel cap, fuel tank (I have a sure fire solution for this with my fuel cell) OBDII monitor history (which my car never came with) and IM120 or 240 emissions test depending on the county. They do not do full underhood inspections (phew) so as long as you have a good cat, you'll probably go through with flying colors

I'm not sure how close to the edge of failing an emissions ill be with my turbo V6, but I see no reason why the steer column would not pass. (unless you had an asshole doing the inspection on the car)

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Jul 21 2012, 08:12 PM
Post #14

I build race cars

QUOTE (Driver_10 @ Jul 20 2012, 08:58 PM) *
I know I still got another week of waiting, but I would love a teaser pic or three!!! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Haven't received the parts from Woodward yet, I'll post up when I have it put together.

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Jul 21 2012, 08:53 PM
Post #15

I build race cars

QUOTE (Driver_10 @ Jul 21 2012, 11:35 AM) *
As far as I know, you must have safety items (this includes factory seat-belts, turn signals, rev lights, dash indicator lights, fog, driving and hi-beam lights) Fuel cap, fuel tank (I have a sure fire solution for this with my fuel cell) OBDII monitor history (which my car never came with) and IM120 or 240 emissions test depending on the county. They do not do full underhood inspections (phew) so as long as you have a good cat, you'll probably go through with flying colors

I'm not sure how close to the edge of failing an emissions ill be with my turbo V6, but I see no reason why the steer column would not pass. (unless you had an asshole doing the inspection on the car)

Inspections vary dramatically from state to state. I believe that the
airbag system is regulated by federal law, and there is some liability
involved in disabling them. It may not go well for someone who wrecks on
the street and their passenger is injured with the airbag disabled.

+Quote Post
Driver_10
post Jul 22 2012, 02:24 AM
Post #16

QUOTE (Blainefab @ Jul 21 2012, 08:53 PM) *

Texas= not a problem.

The biggest thing that they look for is general failing safety equipment and lights. They will, however, fail an inspection if you don't have factory seat-belts in the car.

+Quote Post
dailydriver
post Jul 24 2012, 07:37 PM
Post #17

Experienced Member

QUOTE (Blainefab @ Jul 21 2012, 04:53 PM) *

Yes, but as long as you inform your insurance company (or they see it at their own point of insurance inspection) that you have disabled your driver's side airbag (and pay the subsequent additional premium, of course!), they WILL cover your injuries/medical expenses in an accident. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Driver_10
post Jul 31 2012, 02:38 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (Blainefab @ Jul 21 2012, 08:12 PM) *

Haven't received the parts from Woodward yet, I'll post up when I have it put together.

Parts in yet? Pics?

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Jul 31 2012, 09:20 PM
Post #19

I build race cars

QUOTE (Driver_10 @ Jul 31 2012, 07:38 AM) *
QUOTE (Blainefab @ Jul 21 2012, 08:12 PM) *

Parts in yet? Pics?

Woodward says they will ship this week, they've been unusually busy.

+Quote Post
Driver_10
post Aug 1 2012, 01:08 AM
Post #20

Hey, Alan... different subject.

Do you have the part numbers, or at least a full parts description of all the modules you used in your c5 ABS swap? Im not very familiar with the layout of the C5 modules or networks. As far as I know, its just the hyd actuator module, and the ECM (or ABS controller or whatever)

Also, Ill remind you, I don't have an LS engine in this car. RPM or TPS sensor input would be perfectly futile.
So in summary, "plug in the sensors, install the ECM, install the ABS hyd box and give it power" and this will give me fuctioning, 4-channel ABS?

C5 ECM + wheel speed sensors + ABS actuator module + batt power = complete ABS system?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:29 AM