IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Blaine Fabrication.comUMI PerformanceUnbalanced EngineeringSolo PerformanceHotpart.com
29 Pages V  « < 21 22 23 24 25 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The new to me 2002 Z28 (convertible)
GCrites80s
post Feb 7 2018, 06:42 PM
Post #441

Advanced Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 223,855

Hawk's should talk more about that in their ad copy. People are going to buy it because it is made well but without thinking of the feel implications.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mikedamageinc
post Feb 7 2018, 06:54 PM
Post #442

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,551

QUOTE (rocky @ Feb 7 2018, 09:46 AM) *
QUOTE (mikedamageinc @ Feb 7 2018, 08:19 AM) *
So I with my adjustable stock master adjusted to what feels right and did the wheels in the air test again. I still hear the disc slide against PP or FW but much less and this may be as good as it gets. It really only rubs maybe 10-15 degrees of rotation. Either way driving around feels much better, no high RPM shifts yet, just hard to do on a traffic commute, need to find a desolate country road or something, or just wait a month until next track event.

I am about an hour north of you. Plenty up here. York county has some decent ones too

Yea i could find some here, just out of the way for my daily commute! Do you ever run with TSCC or Apex track/AX events?

+Quote Post
rocky
post Feb 8 2018, 02:05 PM
Post #443

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,032

QUOTE (mikedamageinc @ Feb 7 2018, 01:54 PM) *
QUOTE (rocky @ Feb 7 2018, 09:46 AM) *
QUOTE (mikedamageinc @ Feb 7 2018, 08:19 AM) *
So I with my adjustable stock master adjusted to what feels right and did the wheels in the air test again. I still hear the disc slide against PP or FW but much less and this may be as good as it gets. It really only rubs maybe 10-15 degrees of rotation. Either way driving around feels much better, no high RPM shifts yet, just hard to do on a traffic commute, need to find a desolate country road or something, or just wait a month until next track event.

I am about an hour north of you. Plenty up here. York county has some decent ones too

Yea i could find some here, just out of the way for my daily commute! Do you ever run with TSCC or Apex track/AX events?

I did a few years back with TSCC. Life happened but I am almost back to where I can come play again. All I need is a trailer and either a panhard bar or watts link and I will be back. I do not know who will be better for me to autox with now. It is almost a dead split for me to go with TSCC or with the guys at VMSC.

+Quote Post
mr.beachcomber
post Feb 8 2018, 02:26 PM
Post #444

Advanced Member

Member No.: 142,803

I think that you'll like the new auto-x site TSCC has at Suffolk Executive Airport. Worth making the trip down there. I think their first event will be February 18th (if we don't have any more snow).

+Quote Post
mikedamageinc
post Feb 8 2018, 03:47 PM
Post #445

Advanced Member

I'm excited to check out the new Suffolk site. Personally I like the VMSC group, maybe cause I've ran with them longer but they seem less transitory, but that is the nature of the beast with the military in Hampton roads. They also have an active forum and even tho RIR is small, it's not as beat up as pungo!

+Quote Post
rocky
post Feb 8 2018, 04:23 PM
Post #446

Advanced Member

I saw that about the airport. That should be fun. ACU-4 was fun. I was not a fan of Pungo but still had fun. Blackwater / Academi or what ever it is called was a blast. I went to NCCAR with NASA that was fun. I'm sure I will be back with the TSCC group. Everyone was friendly. I am weighing all the traffic crap along with how many runs we get. When NASA was going to Langley I could get up to 10 runs! oh those were the days lol. If I didn't have over 220,000 miles on the car I would Iron Man it and wait on the trailer.

+Quote Post
mikedamageinc
post Feb 8 2018, 04:56 PM
Post #447

Advanced Member

QUOTE (rocky @ Feb 8 2018, 11:23 AM) *
I saw that about the airport. That should be fun. ACU-4 was fun. I was not a fan of Pungo but still had fun. Blackwater / Academi or what ever it is called was a blast. I went to NCCAR with NASA that was fun. I'm sure I will be back with the TSCC group. Everyone was friendly. I am weighing all the traffic crap along with how many runs we get. When NASA was going to Langley I could get up to 10 runs! oh those were the days lol. If I didn't have over 220,000 miles on the car I would Iron Man it and wait on the trailer.

Nonsense! I took my original engine to 285k commuting and to/from events and it was in great shape when pulled. don't get me wrong nothing against TSCC, just seems like a much smaller group than ~8 years ago and I tend to just show up, run and go home, only chatting with the people I'm station with and that's about it anyways.

+Quote Post
rocky
post Feb 9 2018, 12:04 PM
Post #448

Advanced Member

I pretty much did the same thing lol. I may get out there sometime this year to one of the 3 groups. If work keeps giving me the OT like they have been I am going to get there sooner than I hoped.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Feb 25 2018, 04:03 AM
Post #449

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

I finally did the turn one installation today and made up hoses. Some random bits of information that might be useful.

Instead of pulling the radiator hose and cooler out of the way to remove the pulley from the stock pump....it's plastic. Cut through it carefully with a small battery powered sawzall (or whatever you have handy) and hit it with a 3 lb hammer. The pulley will shatter and once you bash enough of it out of the way, you can remove the stock pump. It's barbaric and a little savage, but I wasn't planning to save that pulley or reuse the pump (though I'm sure the pump is fine).

To remove the stock reservoir, pry the retaining clips "up" and slide a flat blade screwdriver in from the rear to hold the clip up. Then drive the clips off with a hammer and punch.

I used one hose with two 90 degree ends. The need indexed about 90 degrees apart...this is harder than it sounds once you start to tighten the hose down. I used one hose with two straight fittings and one with a straight and a 90.

PS pressure hose from pump to rack - 90/90 approximately 19.5" from the flat of the connector (where the 90 degree bend attaches to the base of the fitting)
PS rack to oil cooler - 90/straight approximately 26.75" from the end of the straight fitting to the flat (where the 90 degree bend attaches to the base of the fitting)
PS cooler to reservoir - straight/straight approximately 21.5" from end to end (total overall length).

Those are what I used, your results may vary.

Also, I found the likely source of my P/S leak. It's the new PS cooler. I installed an oil to water heat exchanger in the upper radiator hose. Tonight I made up all the braided lines and started to do the final installation and I noticed that I couldn't get the fittings tight on the cooler. The AN fittings are too short and the "nut" on the fitting is bottoming out and I saw shiny spots on the body from the nuts. I'm guessing it would barely tighten enough to hook up the barbed fittings I was using, and they would hold for a while. I'm sure this is what caused my leak. Now I have all new braided lines and I am absolutely unable to install them such that they will work. I put a message through to the tech guys at C&R to see if they can help.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Feb 26 2018, 02:28 PM
Post #450

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (trackbird @ Feb 24 2018, 11:03 PM) *
Also, I found the likely source of my P/S leak. It's the new PS cooler. I installed an oil to water heat exchanger in the upper radiator hose. Tonight I made up all the braided lines and started to do the final installation and I noticed that I couldn't get the fittings tight on the cooler. The AN fittings are too short and the "nut" on the fitting is bottoming out and I saw shiny spots on the body from the nuts. I'm guessing it would barely tighten enough to hook up the barbed fittings I was using, and they would hold for a while. I'm sure this is what caused my leak. Now I have all new braided lines and I am absolutely unable to install them such that they will work. I put a message through to the tech guys at C&R to see if they can help.

I put a tech ticket in to the C&R website last night. I received a call this morning. They checked the coolers in stock and found that some of the fittings hit the weld before they were tight. They are redesigning the spec on the cooler and building me a new one to exchange for my existing one while they make a running production change. They thanked me for bringing this to their attention and helping them correct it and gave me an RMA number for my existing cooler to be returned to them. Impressive customer service. Thus far, I can highly recommend C&R Racing Radiators if you need anything they make.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Mar 12 2018, 01:39 AM
Post #451

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Here are some pics of the PS line install.

A few notes.

You have to pull the PS pulley off of the stock pump to remove it. This requires moving the radiator hose (or the PS cooler if you have it) and then getting a PS puller in place and removing the pulley. I wasn't going to reuse the pulley so there was no reason to be subtle. I took a battery powered sawzall and cut into the pulley and then hit it with a 3 lb hammer. The pulley breaks quite easily and a few easy taps with the hammer and you'll have most of the pulley out of the way. Then you can just unbolt the pump and remove it.

When you make the line for the PS pump to the PS rack, it needs to be indexed 90 degrees different (make sure it's in the right 90 degrees or you'll be 180 degrees off). Or use a swivel fitting (which I didn't). Also, cover your lines in split loom tubing to help avoid abrasion damage to parts of the engine or other wiring.

I need to move the rack fittings a little more to make sure they can't contact the alternator charging lead under body twist or engine mount flex. I'll adjust them before I wrap things up.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  IMG_1265.JPG ( 37.25K ) Number of downloads: 20
Attached File  IMG_1277.JPG ( 42.56K ) Number of downloads: 25

+Quote Post
mikedamageinc
post Mar 13 2018, 12:44 PM
Post #452

Advanced Member

To follow up on my clutch issue, I ran this past weekend with no problems, banging 3-4-5 nice and smooth. I actually forgot there was a problem and half thru the day realized how quickly it was going into gear. 2-3 still makes a slight grind with redline shift but no resistance so I think that's a trans issue.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Mar 13 2018, 12:59 PM
Post #453

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (mikedamageinc @ Mar 13 2018, 08:44 AM) *
To follow up on my clutch issue, I ran this past weekend with no problems, banging 3-4-5 nice and smooth. I actually forgot there was a problem and half thru the day realized how quickly it was going into gear. 2-3 still makes a slight grind with redline shift but no resistance so I think that's a trans issue.

Sounds like progress. I've found that second gear is always a little notchy in these cars. I rebuilt mine because 2nd was a little picky and could grind slightly....brand new synchros and keys and all the related parts didn't really change anything. It's not any better or worse. Oh well, it should live forever now. lol.

+Quote Post
dojob
post Mar 13 2018, 01:27 PM
Post #454

Member No.: 223,910

what steering pump you using? Turnone?

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Mar 13 2018, 02:43 PM
Post #455

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (dojob @ Mar 13 2018, 09:27 AM) *

Yes. I ordered the turn one with the aluminum pulley. I had to swap my reservoir over to the new pump. I cleaned it up and swapped it on. They send you a new O-ring to seal it up.

+Quote Post
dojob
post Mar 13 2018, 04:55 PM
Post #456

QUOTE (trackbird @ Mar 13 2018, 10:43 AM) *

Yes. I ordered the turn one with the aluminum pulley. I had to swap my reservoir over to the new pump. I cleaned it up and swapped it on. They send you a new O-ring to seal it up.

Nice. You would of been fine, cooling wise, with just the turnone pump? Would you agree?

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Mar 13 2018, 06:24 PM
Post #457

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (dojob @ Mar 13 2018, 12:55 PM) *
QUOTE (trackbird @ Mar 13 2018, 10:43 AM) *

Nice. You would of been fine, cooling wise, with just the turnone pump? Would you agree?

As a street car? Absolutely. If I get a chance to run this at a few events, possibly. It is heavy. But, I have an under drive pulley (ATI Superdamper with 10% under drive) on the car. With the Turn one pump, it should be ok (I'm doubting it would boil over). However, when I was fixing things that could leave me stranded, the factory PS cooler was "involved" with the cooling system rebuild. So I got to the cooler before the pump. Hence, I have an aftermarket oil to water cooler (the C&R cooling equipment part).

I've been on a quest to replace the rubber parts and things that tend to leak in the middle of a road trip/vacation. I don't want any surprises on the side of the road while I'm out enjoying the world in this thing.

Speaking of which, FedEx dropped off my reconfigured cooler while I was home for lunch today. So I can start putting the car back together. They cut off the old fittings and welded longer fittings onto the cooler. They are also making a production change to their product to give it longer fittings to allow more AN lines to tighten down properly. If they weren't going to fix mine, I would have dug out the TIG welder and done the same thing. However, C&R has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them.

+Quote Post
dojob
post Mar 13 2018, 09:10 PM
Post #458

Understood. I do like the oil to water cooler you got

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Mar 13 2018, 10:57 PM
Post #459

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (dojob @ Mar 13 2018, 05:10 PM) *

I tend to use the "sledgehammer to kill a fly" approach. When the PS system started leaking, I decided to replace virtually all of it. I didn't realize it was the cooler causing the leak until after I bought all the other parts. So...time to upgrade. lol.

+Quote Post
dojob
post Mar 14 2018, 01:06 AM
Post #460

QUOTE (trackbird @ Mar 13 2018, 06:57 PM) *
QUOTE (dojob @ Mar 13 2018, 05:10 PM) *

I tend to use the "sledgehammer to kill a fly" approach. When the PS system started leaking, I decided to replace virtually all of it. I didn't realize it was the cooler causing the leak until after I bought all the other parts. So...time to upgrade. lol.

when in doubt, leave nothing out

+Quote Post

29 Pages V  « < 21 22 23 24 25 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:13 PM