IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Solo PerformanceHotpart.comUnbalanced EngineeringUMI PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.com
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ACPT Carbon Fiber Driveshaft GP, This thing's a GO!!!!
trackbird
post Oct 18 2006, 09:49 PM
Post #1

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

I know there was some interest in these on the board, and we have a thread about it in one of the forums right now. So, if anyone is interested.

I just hung up with ACPT. If we can GP 5+ of these, they will be $200 off of the regular $795 and $40 freight (48 states of the US only). Meaning, $595 each (plus shipping).

The tech info is this:

Aluminum yokes.
800 ft lbs torque rating
3 1/4" OD
12,500 RPM critical speed

For an additional $100 you can have (and I know you guys will love this one).....

3 3/4 OD
2000 ft lbs torque rating
14,500 RPM critical speed

Anyone interested?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JKnight
post Oct 18 2006, 10:19 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 141

What are the benefits of a cf driveshaft over an aluminum one? Lighter, stronger?

Jason

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Oct 18 2006, 10:56 PM
Post #3

FRRAX Owner/Admin

They are light (should be lighter than aluminum, I forgot to get the weight) and if they fail, they "broom" into a bunch of carbon fiber "shredded cloth" instead of punching holes in your floor, "pole vaulting the car" (if possible) or trying to remove the rear end from the car by catching on something. So, essentially, it's light, generates considerably less noise, vibration and such (NVH) and has a far safer mode of failure than a metallic shaft.

Here's more info.

http://www.acpt.com/driveshaft/driveshafts.html

+Quote Post
AndyJ
post Oct 18 2006, 11:21 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 791

I'm in.

Where do I send the money?

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Oct 18 2006, 11:32 PM
Post #5

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (AndyJ @ Oct 18 2006, 07:21 PM) *
I'm in.

Where do I send the money?

As soon as we get 5 buyers, you'll send it to me and I'll place the orders (like the wheel GP). Hang onto your cash for the moment, and I'll gather it up when/if we make the number (5).

Thanks Andy, 4 to go.

+Quote Post
94bird
post Oct 19 2006, 12:00 AM
Post #6

Insert catch phrase here

Member No.: 20

Well, as luck would have it I just brought my driveshaft in yesterday to get a stronger replacement made, so I'm not in the market, but I'm curious.

Is the 800 lb*ft TQ rating for the base driveshaft the TQ it can take at the driveshaft? If so, if we make 400 lb*ft TQ at the flywheel and 1st gear is about 3:1, I'm thinking the shaft goes poof into a cloud of dust.

+Quote Post
sgarnett
post Oct 19 2006, 12:35 AM
Post #7

Seeking round tuits

Member No.: 33

Dang it! Dang it! Dang it! I'm tapped out ....

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Oct 19 2006, 01:09 AM
Post #8

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (94bird @ Oct 18 2006, 08:00 PM) *
Well, as luck would have it I just brought my driveshaft in yesterday to get a stronger replacement made, so I'm not in the market, but I'm curious.

Is the 800 lb*ft TQ rating for the base driveshaft the TQ it can take at the driveshaft? If so, if we make 400 lb*ft TQ at the flywheel and 1st gear is about 3:1, I'm thinking the shaft goes poof into a cloud of dust.

I got the impression it was flywheel torque, but I can verify that information. Also, since we don't see these things exploding on the various high HP cars they are under, that sorta verifies that feeling.

+Quote Post
94bird
post Oct 19 2006, 01:16 AM
Post #9

Insert catch phrase here

Member No.: 20

I agree, but I don't know how they can rate them for flywheel TQ, since the driveshaft shouldn't care at all about that. What if someone runs a different gear ratio in their transmission?

I suppose they sell these shafts in stock length with stock yokes so that makes it unlikely someone will do that.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Oct 19 2006, 01:56 AM
Post #10

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (94bird @ Oct 18 2006, 09:16 PM) *
I agree, but I don't know how they can rate them for flywheel TQ, since the driveshaft shouldn't care at all about that. What if someone runs a different gear ratio in their transmission?

I suppose they sell these shafts in stock length with stock yokes so that makes it unlikely someone will do that.

On the other hand, 800 flywheel ft lbs is STOUT. I don't care how you slice it, it's going to put a large quantity of torque to the rear axle. Meaning, it should/would be more than enough for anything most of our mere "mortal" cars are making for hp and torque. But, I understand and agree with your point.

And, most F-body transmissions become a fuse at the 800 ft lb torque level. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/rotf.gif)

+Quote Post
TOO Z MAXX
post Oct 19 2006, 03:48 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 181

I am guessing these are not ESP legal. If they are legal I am in.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Oct 19 2006, 04:55 AM
Post #12

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (TOO Z MAXX @ Oct 18 2006, 11:48 PM) *
I am guessing these are not ESP legal. If they are legal I am in.

I don't know, and my rulebook has expired (and I've not been ESP legal since week 3 of owning my car anyway).

Anyone know for sure?

+Quote Post
Foxxtron
post Oct 19 2006, 10:44 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 885

If allowed, I may be that "5th buyer" in case there is one more needed. I could always use a 3.25" driveshft for my daily driver car.

The current 3.45" on my track freak was one that I had opted for just so I could tinker with their consultants (a la me being the guinea pig while offering my recorded information just for their keepsake. This is the same deal that I did through Koni for me to convert my ASN's into rebound-only adjustibles. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/cool2.gif) )

+Quote Post
sgarnett
post Oct 19 2006, 12:44 PM
Post #14

Seeking round tuits

Member No.: 33

Any driveshaft covered by update/backdate is legal in ESP, but nothing else is. No, it's not legal.

QUOTE (trackbird @ Oct 18 2006, 09:09 PM) *
QUOTE (94bird @ Oct 18 2006, 08:00 PM) *

I got the impression it was flywheel torque, but I can verify that information. Also, since we don't see these things exploding on the various high HP cars they are under, that sorta verifies that feeling.

Do we know which one is being used under those high hp cars? Hopefully they can clarify the rating.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Oct 19 2006, 01:23 PM
Post #15

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (sgarnett @ Oct 19 2006, 08:44 AM) *
Do we know which one is being used under those high hp cars? Hopefully they can clarify the rating.

I'll call today.

+Quote Post
John_D.
post Oct 19 2006, 02:35 PM
Post #16

Engine and Tools Moderator

Member No.: 6

I have pitiful timing... I bought wheels from someone on here about one month before the wheel GP... and my ACPT driveshaft just arrived one week ago.... (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

If I wasn't broke from this (re)build-up, I'd get a spare.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Oct 19 2006, 03:02 PM
Post #17

FRRAX Owner/Admin

You know, I though of doing this sooner, but decided that the thread didn't look like there were that many buyers. Jon A said his is in the brown truck right now and is headed to his house, you just got one, etc. I should have gone for it ASAP I guess.

As I said, you guys know I'll try to do these things for you, just ask.

+Quote Post
Rampant
post Oct 19 2006, 06:35 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 542

I would love to get in on this, but I do not think the small one is strong enough and the big one would not likely fit.

(IMG:http://usera.imagecave.com/Rampant/Dyno1.jpg)

I had another pull that spiked the torque to 775.

And the space under my car is limited with a 4" collector on my Y pipe.

(IMG:http://usera.imagecave.com/Rampant/motor-goin-in/ypipe.jpg)

I was planning on one this winter too. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I'm sure that the 3 3/4 would never fit, the custom DOM steel one is relatively tight.

Is there a good technical contact there that might be able to help me find a solution?

Rampant

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Oct 19 2006, 08:22 PM
Post #19

FRRAX Owner/Admin

I'd just give them a call.

And, what do you have in that thing to make that kind of power? (I'll probably be splitting this portion off later).

+Quote Post
Cal
post Oct 19 2006, 09:03 PM
Post #20

Experienced Member

Member No.: 317

Hey where was this GP a couple months ago when I paid full price for one of these?

FWIW, I fit my 4 inch CF drive shaft next to my 4 inch collector by cuting the floor pan and welding in a new piece of sheet metal. This allowed me to move the exhaust an aditional 1.25" towards the passenger side.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:08 AM