> The new to me 2002 Z28 (convertible)
GCrites80s
post Jan 16 2018, 02:12 AM
Post #421

Advanced Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 223,855

QUOTE (CrashTestDummy @ Jan 15 2018, 09:37 AM) *
I really wonder how many are truly synthetic, since the feed stock for just about any carbon-based product is oil, or oil byproducts. Once any oil gets out of the refinery, I suspect that all of it could be labeled 'synthetic'. Kind of surprised they don't label the oil as 'organic'. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I bought organic white lithium grease for use when greasing the laser rails of video game systems at work. The store was out of regular white lithium grease and only had the organic. Organic in this context meaning made from plant matter rather than minerals. It was cheap too -- I guess since it had no real lithium.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jan 16 2018, 02:40 AM
Post #422

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

QUOTE (mikedamageinc @ Jan 15 2018, 07:44 PM) *
QUOTE (trackbird @ Jan 12 2018, 06:17 PM) *
If you lift the rear wheels off the ground, do the rear wheels spin when you have the car in gear and the clutch depressed? I'm trying to determine if your clutch is dragging.

So it is easier to just take a video, I can hear the clutch disc but I'm not sure if that is normal, never tried this test before.

https://youtu.be/xKfzDukRGQ0

It might need the clutch bled or it could be the beginning of hydraulic issues, though those usually happen pretty quickly and things go south in a hurry.

+Quote Post
mikedamageinc
post Jan 16 2018, 12:34 PM
Post #423

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,551

QUOTE (trackbird @ Jan 15 2018, 09:40 PM) *
It might need the clutch bled or it could be the beginning of hydraulic issues, though those usually happen pretty quickly and things go south in a hurry.

I just bled it recently and the fluid was pretty clean. The master is a Luk, slave the latest AC Delco version and both are only a couple years old.

Should that noise not be there when the wheels turn?

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jan 17 2018, 11:53 AM
Post #424

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (mikedamageinc @ Jan 16 2018, 07:34 AM) *
QUOTE (trackbird @ Jan 15 2018, 09:40 PM) *

I just bled it recently and the fluid was pretty clean. The master is a Luk, slave the latest AC Delco version and both are only a couple years old.

Should that noise not be there when the wheels turn?

That noise may just be a brake rotor rubbing a bit (nothing is ever perfectly flat for long on these cars). Lift the back, put it in park or 1st gear and spin the rear wheel by hand. I suspect you'll hear the same noise.

However, and I may be incorrect, I thought these cars had enough clutch disengagement that the rear wheels would stay stationary with the motor running and the clutch pedal depressed. I know it can drag a little due to tight clearances, but I don't remember how much drag I've seen from other cars. If I get the front end of mine back off the ramps (I still have to put the power steering lines and pump on it, if it ever gets warm in the garage) I can lift it and do the same test for you.

+Quote Post
mikedamageinc
post Jan 17 2018, 01:52 PM
Post #425

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,551

QUOTE (trackbird @ Jan 17 2018, 06:53 AM) *
That noise may just be a brake rotor rubbing a bit (nothing is ever perfectly flat for long on these cars). Lift the back, put it in park or 1st gear and spin the rear wheel by hand. I suspect you'll hear the same noise.

However, and I may be incorrect, I thought these cars had enough clutch disengagement that the rear wheels would stay stationary with the motor running and the clutch pedal depressed. I know it can drag a little due to tight clearances, but I don't remember how much drag I've seen from other cars. If I get the front end of mine back off the ramps (I still have to put the power steering lines and pump on it, if it ever gets warm in the garage) I can lift it and do the same test for you.

I know that my noise is coming from the clutch, easier to tell in person than the video I guess. I'm curious to see how you're does. Mine does seem to engage quick when letting out the pedal. Just to put it out there, I had to use two thick shims on the slave to get the right measurements going by ticks guidance. And it's a stock ls7 clutch with RAM (*edit not spec) billet steel flywheel.

This post has been edited by mikedamageinc: Jan 17 2018, 04:21 PM

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jan 17 2018, 02:46 PM
Post #426

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (mikedamageinc @ Jan 17 2018, 08:52 AM) *
QUOTE (trackbird @ Jan 17 2018, 06:53 AM) *

I know that my noise is coming from the clutch, easier to tell in person than the video I guess. I'm curious to see how you're does. Mine does seem to engage quick when letting out the pedal. Just to put it out there, I had to use two thick shims on the slave to get the right measurements going by ticks guidance. And it's a stock ls7 clutch with spec billet steel flywheel.

Hmm. I threw in a Fidanza with a Centerforce Dual Friction and Ram adjustable master (adjusted to stock) and a Ram slave (looks like a stock slave for too much money to me, but they couldn't point fingers at another vendor if I still had issues so I bought both). No shims. Mine acted a bit like yours until I bled it, but that didn't take much on my car.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jan 17 2018, 06:22 PM
Post #427

FRRAX Owner/Admin

I forgot to mention that I found a spare ABS module out of a wrecked 2002 Z28 convertible with 8700 miles on it. Paid $53 (paypal total) "shipped". I figure I'll keep it on the shelf, that should guarantee that I never need one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Jan 17 2018, 09:04 PM
Post #428

Veteran Member

Member No.: 385

QUOTE (trackbird @ Jan 17 2018, 12:22 PM) *
I forgot to mention that I found a spare ABS module out of a wrecked 2002 Z28 convertible with 8700 miles on it. Paid $53 (paypal total) "shipped". I figure I'll keep it on the shelf, that should guarantee that I never need one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Don't ever throw it out, or...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

+Quote Post
79T/A
post Jan 17 2018, 09:32 PM
Post #429

Advanced Member

Member No.: 142,453

LOL I just threw my old ABS pump in the garbage.

Iíll keep you updated on the vette conversion. Iím going to be running a super light 7.25 clutch and Tilton flywheel so I anticipate some really nice shifting. Even when my old T56 was in good shape I thought it was extremely notchy compared to more modern transmissions.

+Quote Post

22 Pages V  « < 20 21 22
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st January 2018 - 06:58 AM