IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
UMI PerformanceHotpart.comUnbalanced EngineeringBlaine Fabrication.comSolo Performance

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fix my ignorance, What's a platform?
Absolut Speed
post Oct 26 2005, 05:39 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 7

When auto designers speak of a platform (lambda, kappa), what all is that? What goes into a "platform?"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Oct 26 2005, 05:56 PM
Post #2

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

The F-body is a platform. They could build different cars (Camaro/Firebird) on the same platform without much expense.

VW Passat and Audi A4 are the same. The Buick Rendevous and the Pontiac Aztek are on the same platform.

If we can build a chassis, and reskin it a dozen ways, we save money. Think of Chrysler and the K cars of the 80's. It was cheap, they had a dozen cars and it saved Chryslers butt at the time.

Aries K
Reliant K
New Yorker (FWD version) and several others were all on the same chassis.

Ford's Fox body did the Fairmont and the Mustang.

+Quote Post
steve-d
post Oct 26 2005, 06:20 PM
Post #3

Experienced Member

Member No.: 36

Even the expensive types do it. VW Tourag and the Porsche Cayanne.
Totally questionably spelling, but you get the drift.

Steve

+Quote Post
axoid
post Oct 26 2005, 06:49 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 70

QUOTE (trackbird @ Oct 26 2005, 11:56)
Aries K
Reliant K
New Yorker (FWD version) and several others were all on the same chassis.

It also included the Daytona and I think the first minivans.

+Quote Post
Absolut Speed
post Oct 26 2005, 07:49 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7

I realize a platform allows for multiple cars to be built off the same platform design, but I don't get what goes into a platform.

For instance, GM's Kappa platform is degined to be used in several applications and differing lenghts. But if something as basic as length can be altered, what components or specifications comprise a platform?

Hopefully that clarifies my question.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Oct 26 2005, 08:01 PM
Post #6

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

Engine, transmission, rear end, attachment points, basic architecture. Just stretch the floorpan, skin it and go. It's a basic set of items that will be used. Consider the F-body. Say they wanted to build a Dodge Charger style, high performance, 4 door car. If you stretched the chassis in the rear seat area, stretched the driveshaft and reskinned it as a 4 door car, you'd have a sport sedan (of sorts) on the F-body platform. Using engineering that's already done and making small changes to suit a new project. That might be a better explanation of a platform.

When Dodge built the PT cruiser, they based it on the Neon (I believe they stretched it) and used the Neon "platform" as a basis for a new "van-like thing". It's far cheaper than building a new car. You already have axles, a drivetrain, fuel tank, plumbing, brakes, etc. Just tweak the length and add body panels.

Did that make more sense?

+Quote Post
Cal
post Oct 26 2005, 08:14 PM
Post #7

Experienced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (trackbird @ Oct 26 2005, 11:56)
The F-body is a platform. They could build different cars (Camaro/Firebird) on the same platform without much expense.

. . . and the Nova on that same platform . . . back in the day.

+Quote Post
nape
post Oct 26 2005, 09:50 PM
Post #8

Veteran Member

Member No.: 540

QUOTE (Cal @ Oct 26 2005, 15:14)
. . . and the Nova on that same platform . . . back in the day.

Not completely true, but to an extent.

Novas (X-bodies) from '68-'79 used the same rear suspension as '67-'69 F-bodies and the '67-'69 F-body front suspension from '68-'74 if memory serves me correct. They were not the same chassis though.

I used to own a '78 Nova 4dr as a daily driver. I put some 235/60/15s on 15x7 3rd gen wheels all the way around to replace the 205/75/14s on 14x6 steelies and added a 3/4" rear sway bar and it was my introduction to handling :drive:

I guess I'm a glutton for rusty cars... (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/rotf.gif) (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Edit: Also, X-bodies were Chevy Novas, Olds Omegas, Pontiac Venturas, and Buick Apollos for those who were interested (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

This post has been edited by nape: Oct 26 2005, 09:53 PM

+Quote Post
Cal
post Oct 26 2005, 10:24 PM
Post #9

Experienced Member

Member No.: 317

Amazing what you can learn around here . . . (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

OK, so what platform was the Monza on? That is an interesting platform, seems to be popular with the Land Speed racing guys to this day. I guess maybe because it has a small frontal area and drag coeffient for something that can pack a V8 engine.

+Quote Post
rpoz-29
post Oct 26 2005, 10:40 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 22

The Monza was an "H" body. Vega, Astre, Skyhawk, etc, etc.

+Quote Post
Sidney
post Oct 27 2005, 12:59 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 122

I use to work for Mitsubishi in Normal. The current platform is the PS. The PS includes the Endeavor, Galant, Eclipse, and Eclipse Convertible. The previous platform was the ST and included the Galant, Eclipse, Eclipse Convertible, Dodge Stratus sedan, and Chrysler Sebring sedan. All these vehicles share the basic floorpan & drivetrain and all follow each other on the same assembly line.

If you can imagine it, the new '06 Eclipse uses the same rear suspension as the 2wd Endeavor. Now there's a sports car for you!

Sidney Franklin
Bloomington, IL
(Caterpillar - Supplier Quality)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:48 AM