IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Unbalanced EngineeringUMI PerformanceHotpart.comSolo PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.com

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Truth to 10 spoke SS wheels cracking at track?
Teutonic Speedra...
post Mar 11 2004, 12:59 AM
Post #1

LS1 Inside! / Toolbox / Mechanical Engineer

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 179

Just like the title says. I am about to buy a set of the 10 spoke SS wheels with F1's (8k miles) for $500 for the track. I remember hearing they were weak. Is there any truth to that?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lateapex
post Mar 11 2004, 01:21 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2

GM01SS on this board had one break on the track. Here is a link to his original post: http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread....ht=broken+wheel

He could probably give you more details.

+Quote Post
231go
post Mar 11 2004, 01:21 AM
Post #3

F-bodyless....

Member No.: 77

I asked before and ppl said that they havent had many problems with them. But they do look a little week in the center, so if you are worried about it than don't do it. Better safe than sorry. Plus I picked up my SS 5stars for 300bux in good condition, that leave 200 extra left over for other parts. Also, most ppl that cracked they were on race tires, if you plan on running radials then don't worry about it.

+Quote Post
y5e06
post Mar 11 2004, 03:01 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 88

I've autocrossed on mine a bunch and ran them for one track session. I've heard the same rumors about them breaking and, as mentioned, they don't *look* too strong. Then again a guy broke a C5 thick spoke 'wagon wheel' rim at TWS last weekend. Those *look* pretty dang strong to me. I'd probably find some A-molds or other used Vette rims instead of the SS 10spokes. I bought a set of 17x9.5" '89 vette rims for $100 a while back. '88-'90 vette rims go pretty cheap, they're ugly.
corvetteforum.com classifieds

md

+Quote Post
AllZWay
post Mar 11 2004, 03:23 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 74

The set I use have thousands of laps on them.....most by the SS Camaro school that they came from before I bought them. I have many sessions on them myself and see NO problems what so ever.

I am not saying they can't, but I have never seen these wheels have a problem and they used them for several years in a Camaro taught school at MSR.

+Quote Post
Nick
post Mar 11 2004, 04:44 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 47

I haven't had any issues with Victoracers on mine.

+Quote Post
robz71lm7
post Mar 11 2004, 12:51 PM
Post #7

Veteran Member

Member No.: 40

I got a set of 17x9.5" '89 vette wheels as well. They were dirt cheap-I'd avoid spending 500 just for factory wheels to track with.

+Quote Post
mitchntx
post Mar 11 2004, 01:31 PM
Post #8

Nothing says 'I love you.' like a box of Hydroshoks

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4

This past weekend, a Vette broke the center out of a '97 C5 "wagon wheel" ... the realy thick spokes.

The center was still bolted up and the spoke had sheered close to the center, not the outer edge.

It was the right front. A not so close inspection of the other front found a serious crack, in basically the same location.

These wheels have seen about 2 years of duty at Heartland Park, Hallett, Motorsport Ranch and Texas World Speedway. All of it on Hoosiers. They also had been powder coated.

The rears showed no signs of cracking.

+Quote Post
robz71lm7
post Mar 11 2004, 02:17 PM
Post #9

Veteran Member

Member No.: 40

QUOTE (mitchntx @ Mar 11 2004, 08:31 AM)
They also had been powder coated.

The rears showed no signs of cracking.

I'd bet the powder coating is to blame-which is what I think you're hinting at. Search for powercoating over at corner-carvers.com. There is a long thread on how if done improperly it can weaken the aluminum.

+Quote Post
Bald54
post Mar 11 2004, 04:07 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 101

Chroming a wheel will also reduce the strength.

+Quote Post
lateapex
post Mar 11 2004, 04:27 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2

I visited a well known custom wheel manufacturer last summer, and he told me a horror story concerning a set of his wheels. The customer wanted the wheels to match his car color, so the manufacturer had them powder coated. The customer sent the wheels back asking that they be recoated a slightly different shade. Done. The customer returned the wheels again saying that the shade was really close, but needed to be just a little lighter. Manufacturer has them powder coated a third time.

Customer calls to say color is perfect, but that one of the wheels failed on its first track day. (this manufacturer has a very good reputation, and is the #1 three-piece wheel supplier in the country. Every one of John Heinricy’s race cars I have seen has used that make). Upon analysis, the forged aluminum wheel centers are basically putty. Three trips through the powder coat oven have WAY over-annealed the alloy. Here is a quote from Muller Machine; it is a guide to heating aluminum hubs to help in removing bearings:

“Also... at anything over 350F, the chances of permanently softening aluminum increase quite a bit... so if you happen to set the oven temperature high (in a hurry?), and you forget the parts in the oven... you could end up with some aluminum hubs that are no longer 6061-T6... they might now be 6061-T-butter!”

To add to Steve's comments, properly chroming a wheel (so the finish lasts) can add over 2 lbs to the weight, as well as weakening the wheel.

+Quote Post
Teutonic Speedra...
post Mar 11 2004, 05:48 PM
Post #12

LS1 Inside! / Toolbox / Mechanical Engineer

Member No.: 179

Wow, so it is even possible that getting the brakes super hot (800F+) could get the inside hub of the wheel pretty darn hot.---Another good reason for running brake ducts! Thanks for all the info guys. I bought the wheels today. 8k miles with 75% tread left, almost immaculate.....$500.

+Quote Post
Metlegleo
post Mar 12 2004, 04:35 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 102

This is why I even take my "track only" set of rims/tires off of the car for cleaning and inspection after every weekend of use. Its a good opportunity to catch a problem before it creates an "interesting experience that you could do without".

+Quote Post
231go
post Mar 12 2004, 05:32 PM
Post #14

F-bodyless....

Member No.: 77

http://www.witchdoctormotorsports.com/witc...E06+07mar04.htm
Pics of the vette breakage that was mentioned above. Dunno if this has been posted or not...

+Quote Post
AllZWay
post Mar 12 2004, 09:12 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 74

WOW!!! That is pretty scary. What happened when the wheel broke?

+Quote Post
Absolut Speed
post Mar 12 2004, 09:55 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7

(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) Yowsers! Those aren't the Vette wheels I was picturing. I thought it was the thin 5 spoke.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:42 AM