IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Blaine Fabrication.comUMI PerformanceHotpart.comUnbalanced EngineeringSolo Performance

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ABS fault when third brake light removed
ESP125
post Mar 17 2015, 01:44 AM
Post #1

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 141,577

Hi,

Just wondering if anybody has ever removed their third (high mount) brake light on a 94 Camaro and had to deal with the AB inop fault that occurs? I have been doing some reading online and apparently they integrated the high mount bulbs into the ABS circuit and if you remove the assembly or have a burned out bulb your ABS will stop working. Hats off to the genius who came up with this design! Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BumpaD_Z28
post Mar 17 2015, 02:26 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,416

QUOTE (ESP125 @ Mar 16 2015, 07:44 PM) *
Hi,

Just wondering if anybody has ever removed their third (high mount) brake light on a 94 Camaro and had to deal with the AB inop fault that occurs? I have been doing some reading online and apparently they integrated the high mount bulbs into the ABS circuit and if you remove the assembly or have a burned out bulb your ABS will stop working. Hats off to the genius who came up with this design! Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Wire a resistor across the bulb wiring to make it thnk the lamp is present ?

~DaVe

+Quote Post
ESP125
post Mar 17 2015, 03:17 AM
Post #3

Any idea on what size resistor and how many watts it should be? The harness has only two wires, so I'm assuming that the larger gauge wire is for the rear window defrost and the smaller wire is for the brake light. I am guessing I will need to find a good ground and connect the resistor across the smaller wire and ground.

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Mar 17 2015, 04:26 AM
Post #4

I build race cars

Member No.: 874

I use a 1Kohm 1/2watt resistor (Radio Shack has them) - wire it across the 2 small wires that go directly to the lamp assembly.

+Quote Post
Steve91T
post Mar 17 2015, 11:11 AM
Post #5

Experienced Member

Member No.: 9,105

What does the third brake light have to do with ABS?

+Quote Post
ESP125
post Mar 18 2015, 03:02 AM
Post #6

Thanks Alan. I will give that a try when Radio Shack gets the resistor in. Disregard the email I sent you the other day. For future reference the connector/harness at the top of the hatch near the hinges only has two wires. The larger one is for the rear window defrost and the smaller one is for the brake light power. The brake light housing must be grounded to the hatch so I will have make up a new wire to go from the other side of the resistor and run it to ground.

+Quote Post
ESP125
post Mar 21 2015, 06:25 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Blainefab @ Mar 16 2015, 11:26 PM) *
I use a 1Kohm 1/2watt resistor (Radio Shack has them) - wire it across the 2 small wires that go directly to the lamp assembly.

I finally got the 1K ohm resistor and hooked it up and the ABS inop light didn't turn off. Just for giggles I added another resistor in series and that didn't help either. I made sure the connection to ground was good and that the connection to the yellow wire (brake) was good but no change. I basically have the resistor between the brake wire and ground. Do you have any other suggestions?

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Mar 22 2015, 12:42 AM
Post #8

I build race cars

Member No.: 874

QUOTE (ESP125 @ Mar 21 2015, 11:25 AM) *

I finally got the 1K ohm resistor and hooked it up and the ABS inop light didn't turn off. Just for giggles I added another resistor in series and that didn't help either. I made sure the connection to ground was good and that the connection to the yellow wire (brake) was good but no change. I basically have the resistor between the brake wire and ground. Do you have any other suggestions?

Put the wiring back to stock and plug the 3rd brake light back on it - if the ABS err light goes out then you have wired the resistor incorrectly. If the ABS err light stays on then you have an additional problem that you'll need to solve before trying the resistor again.

+Quote Post
ESP125
post Mar 22 2015, 01:14 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (Blainefab @ Mar 21 2015, 07:42 PM) *
QUOTE (ESP125 @ Mar 21 2015, 11:25 AM) *

Put the wiring back to stock and plug the 3rd brake light back on it - if the ABS err light goes out then you have wired the resistor incorrectly. If the ABS err light stays on then you have an additional problem that you'll need to solve before trying the resistor again.

I lucked out my neighbor is a mechanic by trade and he had his Tech 2 scanner at home and we found the right front hub sensor was shot. Go figure, it was fine before I put the car in storage this winter. I am going to swap out the hub and try the resistor thing again and I expect all will be good. Thanks again for the help.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:59 PM