IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Solo PerformanceUMI PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.comUnbalanced EngineeringHotpart.com

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Finally got around to test drive an 05 GTO
Teutonic Speedra...
post Aug 6 2005, 06:01 PM
Post #1

LS1 Inside! / Toolbox / Mechanical Engineer

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 179

I've had the urge for a long time to test drive a GTO. I went to the dealer today and took out a yellow 05 6-speed. Fit and finish inside is nice, as is the look of the dash, radio, shifter, and seats. That 6.0L is torquey and pulls the 3800 lb. car rather well. Things I didn't like: Shifter is way too mushy, car feels heavy, can't heel and toe, and I couldn't fit my little size 8 foot too well between the clutch pedal and the dead pedal area. Even with the traction control turned off, it hooks up pretty well. 0-60 felt rather quick, brakes felt smooth, and the handling felt decent (for a test drive).

It really made me realize how much I've changed the Z28 over the years. The Z28 is a track car with all the suspension pieces, rod ends, etc. The Z28 does what I want it to do "right now", no mush, no wait. It's something I guess I'll have to get used to if I get another performance oriented "street car". After driving the GTO, I realized how nice of a mod that Hurst shifter was. I don't like sloppy shifters. If I bought the GTO, that would be the 1st thing to go....the shifter.

Well, I've got the 01 Z28 with 33k miles on it which is 99% track only, my truck is used for hauling things and the car to the track. I drive a 95 Honda Accord around as my daily driver (50 miles each way to work). I bought it 4 years ago for $3,500 with 140k miles. I've kept up on it in general, but it now has 210k miles, with a few problems developing. It needs a timing belt soon, at which time the leaky cam seal can be replaced. It also needs a tune-up (belts, wires, plugs, cap, rotor), struts and shocks. Other things to mention are the windows don't go up in their tracks well, a cracked header bolt which was replaced, warped the header slightly, so there is a slight leak (noisy at times). It also has roll up windows and manual locks which is kind of a pain on a 4dr. I also hate the fact that it is automatic!

Well, the GTO is not part of the GM deals anymore (neither is the Vette), so the thing is never going to be less than $30k. So now I'm back to looking for something cheap again. What is good in the $8k range that I can get stick and be able to haul a few people around? I'm thinking Honda Accord again?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
slowTA
post Aug 6 2005, 06:25 PM
Post #2

Experienced Member

Member No.: 331

My Malibu hasn't been too bad to me. It is a boring car though, much like the accord I imagine. Maybe it isn't a bad backup idea if you can't find something with a manual transmission in good shape.

+Quote Post
rmackintosh
post Aug 6 2005, 07:36 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 27

...at least the Accord actually HAS a trunk.....

I liked the GTO a LOT.....until I opened the trunk....a car THAT size, should have a damn trunk.... (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

+Quote Post
Formula WS6
post Aug 6 2005, 10:31 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 45

hahahaha yeah they put that huge cover in the back to block off something back there. i cant remember what now. my friend has an 04 GTO. i love the car and think its a great bargin even without the discount. id spend the money on a GTO before i ever bought a BMW which is what the GTO was targeted against. i wouldnt be looking to race the thing so heel toe shifting wouldnt cross my mind. the shifters suck but thats pretty much normal in any GM car. the C6 is the same way as was the C5. i wish i could afford one cause i would have one already. i will have one in the future though. possibly put a magnacharger on the thing as well.

+Quote Post
2000Z-71
post Aug 8 2005, 07:11 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 314

QUOTE (Teutonic Speedracer @ Aug 6 2005, 12:01)
Well, the GTO is not part of the GM deals anymore (neither is the Vette), so the thing is never going to be less than $30k. So now I'm back to looking for something cheap again. What is good in the $8k range that I can get stick and be able to haul a few people around? I'm thinking Honda Accord again?

Wait for a couple of months and there will be rebates to get the price under 30k. I could have picked up an 04 GTO last fall for 23.5k.

+Quote Post
slowTA
post Aug 8 2005, 09:12 PM
Post #6

Experienced Member

Member No.: 331

QUOTE (Formula WS6 @ Aug 6 2005, 18:31)
hahahaha yeah they put that huge cover in the back to block off something back there. i cant remember what now.

I think they had to move the gas tank up further and brace it in order to make the car pass the US crash tests. It's supposed to weigh a few hundred pounds more than the Australian version.

+Quote Post
Teutonic Speedra...
post Aug 8 2005, 09:31 PM
Post #7

LS1 Inside! / Toolbox / Mechanical Engineer

Member No.: 179

QUOTE (2000Z-71 @ Aug 8 2005, 14:11)
QUOTE (Teutonic Speedracer @ Aug 6 2005, 12:01)
Well, the GTO is not part of the GM deals anymore (neither is the Vette), so the thing is never going to be less than $30k.  So now I'm back to looking for something cheap again.  What is good in the $8k range that I can get stick and be able to haul a few people around?  I'm thinking Honda Accord again?

Wait for a couple of months and there will be rebates to get the price under 30k. I could have picked up an 04 GTO last fall for 23.5k.

Yeah. I buddy of mine at work had shown me when he was looking at an 04 a while back, the dealer had it down to $17k after the GM rebates, incentives on 04 GTO & SSR, and with GM Card dollars capped out. I should've jumped on it back then.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:05 AM