IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Unbalanced EngineeringUMI PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.comSolo PerformanceHotpart.com

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WTB: stock front upper control arms- FOUND, with good bushings and ball joints
creeper
post Jan 28 2011, 07:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,744

my front bushings/ball joints are shot (4th gen) so I'm looking for a lowish mileage set pretty cheap, already have a set of lowers ready to go on

thanks

This post has been edited by creeper: Jan 31 2011, 03:00 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Major_Lee_Slow
post Jan 29 2011, 01:16 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 876

FYI, upper ball joints are easily replaced. You just have to drill the 3 rivets and then the new ball joint bolts into place. The bushing are pretty easy too, especially if you switch to Poly or offset bushings. Just add some heat to the bushings' outer metal sleeve and the using a ball joint C-clamp style press, push the bushing out. Clean it up good, lube up the new poly bushings and press in by hand. If you are in stock class, then you have to press out the the stock bushing and sleeves as a unit and replace with a stock equivalent, like a moog bushing.

In all honesty, even if you buy used control arms it would be a good idea to install fresh bushings and ball joints before you install them considering how much work it is to remove and replace the control arm. Plus the replacement parts are not that expensive.

+Quote Post
creeper
post Jan 29 2011, 02:26 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,744

I appreciate the input but I'm just looking for a stock low mileage set for now. It's a fun daily driver and with 115k miles on it and I'm just doing a little freshening up while I'm swapping out the front shocks. I have some 30k mile lower arms, 30k mile hubs, and newer Koni SA's going on at the same time.

The install doesn't scare me it's just that at $50 each for upper ball joints and $30 for each pair of upper bushings it seems more cost effective just to find some with reasonable mileage ready to go. I know a lot of guys go tubular so I figured someone on here might have some perfectly good ones just sitting around taking up space. I thought about the poly route with mine but if I buy a whole set I'll still end up having to buy rubber caster bushings and all new ball joints anyway, and I got enough camber out of stock bushings to not need the offset ones since it's a daily driver. For now I think all I need is some that aren't shot, anything will be an improvement over my current ones and I'm on a tight budget.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:11 PM