IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Blaine Fabrication.comSolo PerformanceUMI PerformanceHotpart.comUnbalanced Engineering
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Opinions on tow vehicle choices, Purchase considerations for late model used truck
Spruill242
post Jul 9 2011, 10:08 AM
Post #21

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 2,237

^ Why are you changing your oil every 5K ??? Get a bypass oil filter kit, run a high quality synthetic (which I'm sure you are already) and enjoy 20K mile change intervals. I'm not bullshitting either. Blackstone labs does my oil checks and they're telling me everything is good to go. You really don't need to change oil every 5K. Get an oil analysis and see what's going on.

And I'm really tired of spending more on a product that costs less to produce than gas. I'm with you on that one.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
1qwikbird
post Jul 9 2011, 01:15 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 1,907

QUOTE (Spruill242 @ Jul 9 2011, 06:08 AM) *
^ Why are you changing your oil every 5K ??? Get a bypass oil filter kit, run a high quality synthetic (which I'm sure you are already) and enjoy 20K mile change intervals. I'm not bullshitting either. Blackstone labs does my oil checks and they're telling me everything is good to go. You really don't need to change oil every 5K. Get an oil analysis and see what's going on.

And I'm really tired of spending more on a product that costs less to produce than gas. I'm with you on that one.

I'll second that. I too was changing oil (3 gallons) every 5k when I first bought my truck and that routine became old real quick. Run a quality synthetic with a quality filter and have some samples analyzed at 5k, 10k and see what your truck likes. I go a full year without a bypass system and I sample at the 6 month/10k mile mark with out any issues. With a bypass filter I could easily go 25k miles I am sure. As far as fuel goes, I buy only where there is heavy interstate truck traffic because those stations don't have fuel that sits months on end.

A gasser keeps you in the comfort zone, because you are familiar with its workings, but diesels aren't nearly as complicated and every bit more powerful/efficient. As long as you don't turn your diesel truck into a hotrod, it should last a good long time with only basic maintenance needed.

Here's a buyers guide for the Dodge/Cummins platform if you stumble across one that peaks your interest:

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/magazin...yersguide.phtml

Good Luck

+Quote Post
jensend
post Jul 9 2011, 03:49 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 210

Really appreciate all the advice, tech and "real world" data. Seems like the choice is far from a simple one- personal preferences notwithstanding. Finding a trustworthy deisel fuel source locally might be an issue in my area ( small town jersey Shore). While I'm close to NJMP, most of my track events are out of state with the bulk being at WGI. So, most of the time, I'll be towing at least 3-4 hours each way. Wondering if this will be an excessive burden on a 2500 series gas burner. I'm used to bare bones in most of my vehicles (standard trans, few if any options) so I'm looking for practical rather than posh. I guess I'm going to have to compromise on a used truck - gas or otherwise. Have never owned 4wd and am not anxious to start now especially with the added weight and maintenance issues. So far I'm guessing I'm looking for something between 2005 and 2007 based on the responses thus far. Thanks again. Any further info is also welcomed.

This post has been edited by jensend: Jul 9 2011, 03:50 PM

+Quote Post
Steve91T
post Jul 9 2011, 05:46 PM
Post #24

Experienced Member

Member No.: 9,105

QUOTE (jensend @ Jul 9 2011, 11:49 AM) *
Really appreciate all the advice, tech and "real world" data. Seems like the choice is far from a simple one- personal preferences notwithstanding. Finding a trustworthy deisel fuel source locally might be an issue in my area ( small town jersey Shore). While I'm close to NJMP, most of my track events are out of state with the bulk being at WGI. So, most of the time, I'll be towing at least 3-4 hours each way. Wondering if this will be an excessive burden on a 2500 series gas burner. I'm used to bare bones in most of my vehicles (standard trans, few if any options) so I'm looking for practical rather than posh. I guess I'm going to have to compromise on a used truck - gas or otherwise. Have never owned 4wd and am not anxious to start now especially with the added weight and maintenance issues. So far I'm guessing I'm looking for something between 2005 and 2007 based on the responses thus far. Thanks again. Any further info is also welcomed.

I felt the same way, it was difficult to find a diesel station. But honestly, it's 2nd nature to find a diesel pump now. I fill up at the Kroger which has those fuel points that add up over the course of a month. Last month I got $0.50 off per gallon. That was nice! When traveling, any truck stop is fine. I've never had a problem with water in the fuel. Just don't fill up while the tanker is filling the underground tanks.

With the F250 at least, you get a larger fuel tank with the long bed than the short bed.

I highly recommend 4x4. I'm like you, electric door locks and power windows is about it. I HATE (with a passion) auto trannies. I also don't like auto locking hubs, transfer cases, and anything else that is expensive when it doesn't work.

With the manual tranny, you get granny gear which is awesome. Also, with manual locking hubs, I shift to 4x4 low, and use granny gear, and my truck will literally crawl at idle. It's great because without the front wheels locked, I am in 2x4 and can still maneuver.

One thing to also consider is how much weight is over the front axle, and how little weight is over the rear. My engine alone weighs over 1000lbs. Sometimes I park my truck in the grass next to my driveway. I have been stuck trying to back out of my LEVEL yard. This has happened several times to me when the ground is wet. Also, I've needed 4x4 when pulling my boat out of the water. It's just a 20ft bowrider, but sometimes the ramp is pretty slick.

I know in NJ you guys get a lot of snow. My truck is absolutely useless in the snow. But, in 4x4, I have never even come close to getting stuck. I usually go around pulling people out of the ditch and I have yet to find a stuck car that has even made my tires spin while pulling them out. Even just in the wet in 3rd gear, if I get into the boost too hard, I can light up the tires, especially while towing. I've also needed 4x4 trying to maneuver an empty truck in deep gravel.

The only examples I have are here:

This is the entrance to our neighborhood. This is a very steep hill. The people in our neighborhood who don't have 4x4 don't leave the house. If they can make it down, they'd never make it back up. There was ice below the snow.

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Steve91T/Snow%2009/th_MVI_3368.jpg)

And of course, dounuts! This thing does great donuts.

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Steve91T/Snow%20Day/th_MVI_1958.jpg)

I have done absolutely nothing to my 4x4 as far as maintenance. I'm planning on just changing fluids and greasing the hubs, maybe change some wheel bearings, but other than that, it's been rock solid.

I'm telling ya, Diesel, 4x4, longbed.....you won't be happier. Then add an intake, exhaust, and a tune, and you'll have a serious towing machine. I know a lot of people have just 2wd, and to be honest, I don't know how people live without it. To me, a truck isn't a truck unless it's 4x4.

Steve

This post has been edited by Steve91T: Jul 9 2011, 05:52 PM

+Quote Post
1qwikbird
post Jul 9 2011, 09:17 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 1,907

QUOTE (jensend @ Jul 9 2011, 11:49 AM) *

I'd imagine trying to find a 2wd 3/4 ton truck in NJ is going to be difficult. 4wd isn't horrible and I'd agree with the other post that manual hubs and manual transfer cases are the way to go. You get complete control over the drivetrain without relying on electronics to engage hubs/transfer cases etc.

+Quote Post
BigEnos
post Jul 9 2011, 09:27 PM
Post #26

Collo Rosso

Member No.: 839

I drive a gas truck and a diesel car. I'm not anti-diesel at all, but I am not ponying up nearly $10K for power I don't really need. Yes, it comes back in resale, but I don't sell trucks very often. I routinely drive my gas truck to long-distance events and it's fine. But, if you are pulling an enclosed you'll probably have a more comfortable trip with a diesel.

I have about 22K miles on my TDI Golf and I haven't had any fuel issues yet. I do have some "favorite" stations, but I quit worrying about it. My water separator hasn't needed service yet, either.

+Quote Post
CMC #37
post Jul 10 2011, 06:03 AM
Post #27

CMCer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 194

2004 Duramax Diesel with the Allison trans, about 70k miles. Very happy. Changed the shocks to better Bilsteins at about 10k (stock ones suck) and got new Michelins about 10K ago. When we towed from CA to Ohio for the Nats we just put the truck in cruise. What a pleasure to drive! Now going to Colorado where I may put the 4x4 to use. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Jul 11 2011, 03:26 PM
Post #28

Veteran Member

Member No.: 385

QUOTE (mitchntx @ Jul 9 2011, 04:00 AM) *
<SNIP>

Now there are some positives ...

Like aligning my exhaust with the driver's window of a lowered, bass thumping Explorer and spooling up the turbo, dumping a healthy dose of blackened CO2 through the open window.

(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

Now that's worth the price of diesel right there! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif)

+Quote Post
BryanL
post Jul 12 2011, 01:59 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 1,710

This truck was emailed to me as one of my favorite sellers from Ebay back when I was shopping for a truck. No affiliation or knowledge about the truck or seller. But I would always look for a truck from a rust free area and would rather pay the shipping-truck I bought came from California to Dallas for about $800 with DAS.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-S...5fCarsQ5fTrucks

If you are always going to have an open trailer then about any v8 truck will have the capacity to tow it. But if you are making 4 hour drives then I would suggest a 3/4 ton especially since it won't be your primary source of transportation. And if you go up to an enclosed then I would really look at a diesel or at least the 8.1 even though Glenn pulls 12k lbs with his 6.0. If you don't care about the looks then there are tons of 3/4 work trucks in texas. If you really want to find a cheap deal find someone that will buy you something off a Copart auction. Not all of their vehicles are salvaged.

+1 for the Duramax too. I had a 99 Suburban 3/4 4wd 454. When I went to a 24' enclosed it didn't seem as comfortable or safe. I could tow the trailer at 75 but brakes and handling were an issue for me. Then I towed with my Dads 08 Duramax P/U and I was hooked. But I still had to have a Suburban so I bought an 04 Suburban that had been converted with an 04 Duramax, Allison, and Diff. Night and day difference in power, braking, handling, ride, and MPG.

+Quote Post
Steve91T
post Jul 17 2011, 04:08 AM
Post #30

Experienced Member

Member No.: 9,105

A demonstration of torque. I'm in 2wd low, in granny, at idle. I just stomped on the brakes. Can you tell how much I love my diesel? Alright, I'm done now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pQ_q7iziEA

+Quote Post
pknowles
post Aug 12 2011, 11:52 PM
Post #31

Experienced Member

Member No.: 193

I have a 97 C2500 with a 5.7L gas, 2wd regular cab. I think it tows very well and can accelerate up the steepest hills while towing if I'm willing to kick the RPM's up. The only advise I can give is to plan what you will need in a truck 5-10 years down the road. I bought my regular cab when I was single in 2003. Fast forward now with a wife + toddler + second kid on the way and I really wish I had a crew cab. Now we are looking buy a boat and I'm sure 4wd in the truck would have been nice. So plan ahead.

+Quote Post
Pablo
post Aug 13 2011, 12:45 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 1,864

I was in your shoes about a year ago and decided at 31 to buy my first new vehicle. I wanted something that would tow my race cars and generally be able to do anything I wanted - camping, offroad, Colorado trips (wife is from the western slope) and haul some kids we've been planning on popping out. I looked at diesels, compared prices, capabilities, test drove a few. Decided a gasser was the way to go. I just couldn't see a reason to pay 7500 dollars more for the same truck when I am not towing for a living. And the 6.0 is a proven performer that will be around as long as the 60s/70s chevy trucks you still see driving today.
I've been extremely happy with my choice. The truck is awesome.

Unfortunately, (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) we are moving to Europe on military orders. While the military will pay to ship one vehicle, a 2500HD is just not going to be practical in Sicily. So it is up for sale right now.
I have taken meticulous care of this truck and it has hardly even seen rain here in So Cal. I never ended up towing anything or doing any heavy hauling (the orders put all of my plans on hold). Here are some picts, its a solid rig with some nice options but nothing over the top.

(IMG:http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g71/Chewbaccathedog/IMG_1072.jpg)

(IMG:http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g71/Chewbaccathedog/IMG_1075.jpg)

(IMG:http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g71/Chewbaccathedog/IMG_1079.jpg)

Heres the autotrader ad if you are interested http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p..._id=AT-120b46d1 I'll take 34k from a frrax member (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Hope that wasn't too much of a plug. If nothing else know that I think this kind of truck is great and wouldn't hesitate recommending something similar.

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Aug 16 2011, 01:05 PM
Post #33

Veteran Member

Member No.: 385

And if you're looking at a gasser, look for the 6.0 or 8.1. The newer GMs have 5.3's. While the HP is supposed to be up, the torque just isn't there. A friend who tows a 90 BSP Vette on an open trailer, recently traded his '03-'04 1500HD in for a new one. He says he really notices the lack of power.

+Quote Post
AllZWay
post Aug 16 2011, 04:29 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 74

More data points...

I have been towing with my '02 GMC 2500HD since 2002. I have roughly 130k on it now and all with absolutely nothing but oil changes. It has the 6.0 gas.

I tow my race car and trailer and my camper with it. I wouldn't mind a bit more power like the 8.1 gas has, but it still is capable of pulling my race car at 80mph on the highway.

My father had the 8.1 dually and it pulled circles around my 6.0, but gas mileage was way worse. I get about 11-12 mpg pulling and the 8.1 got about 7-9 mpg.

+Quote Post
Al weyman
post Aug 17 2011, 07:20 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 80,843

Here's my old bus, '92 Chevy DayVan 5.7 petrol. I converted it to LPG gas which is about half the price over here so worth doing, do you do that over there? Costs a bit to run but offset with no hotel bills and always at the track where the fun is! We can only tow at 60mph overhere so thats fine as keeps the fuel consumption down. (IMG:http://www.cadart.com/Images/Chevy%20Day%20Van.JPG)

This post has been edited by Al weyman: Aug 17 2011, 07:21 AM

+Quote Post
pknowles
post Aug 17 2011, 09:15 AM
Post #36

Experienced Member

Member No.: 193

QUOTE (CrashTestDummy @ Aug 16 2011, 09:05 AM) *
And if you're looking at a gasser, look for the 6.0 or 8.1. The newer GMs have 5.3's. While the HP is supposed to be up, the torque just isn't there. A friend who tows a 90 BSP Vette on an open trailer, recently traded his '03-'04 1500HD in for a new one. He says he really notices the lack of power.

A 1500HD is significantly different than a 1500 of the same body style. The 1500HD is basically a 2500HDish running gear, suspension, and brakes under a kinda half ton frame. I looked on Rockauto.com and the part numbers for brake calipers, rotors, and pads are the same between a 2500HD and 1500HD (at least for 2001). The 1500HD torsion bars are a little softer in the front, there is one less leaf in the back, and the rear axle is different compared to the 2500HD. The 1500HD also gets the 9.5" axle while the 2500HD gets the 10.5" for the 6.0L, mainly for the increased weight capacity. My 97 2500 has a 9.5" under it and has been great, so I would have no worries about it in a 1500HD. I have read that the 1500HD frame is thinker than a normal half ton, but I have not verified that.

GM has a trailer Max package for the new 1500's which gives you a 6.2L, 9.5" rear axle, etc. Not sure which brakes are under it, but you can only get a short bed (5" 9") with a crew cab unlike the old 1500HD which is a crew cab with a 6.5' bed.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 02:37 PM