IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Blaine Fabrication.comSolo PerformanceHotpart.comUnbalanced EngineeringUMI Performance

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pain in the a$$ to remove heater core?, Started the gutting.....
Teutonic Speedra...
post Sep 3 2004, 12:01 AM
Post #1

LS1 Inside! / Toolbox / Mechanical Engineer

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 179

My A/C (condenser, lines, compressor) has been gone since the beginning of the year. Now I'm gutting the rest of the car. Just wondering how hard it is to remove the heater core and all the associated garbage attached to it. It looks really tight in that part of the engine compartment.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NataSS Inc
post Sep 3 2004, 12:15 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 73

I have heard numerous times that to remove the heater core you have to pull the dash out of the car. If ANYONE knows a way to get that thing out of there without pulling the dash.....FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE TELL ME.

I need to get mine out as well, but with the current config of the cage, pulling the dash isnt an option.

EDIT:
OOPS! thought you meant behind the dash area. getting the stuf in the engine compartment out is a breeze. Took me a couple of hours. Most of that time was spent drinking beer though (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
rmackintosh
post Sep 3 2004, 01:44 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 27

....engine compartment = EASY

....under dash = PULL THE DASH (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

+Quote Post
Ojustracing
post Sep 3 2004, 01:52 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 66

Just got done looking up the info. Book time is 2.5 hrs.
Reading the directions it looks like there is a cover that goes over heater core that has to get pulled off and then the heater is behind it. My software wont let me cut and paste the info. Sorry. It doesnt look that bad of job to save 3 lbs. Later John

+Quote Post
Soma07
post Sep 3 2004, 05:39 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25

I replaced mine about 2yrs ago in my 93 and I thought it was relatively easy? Took me about 2hrs if I recall.

Remove the glovebox and the plastic panel trim panel below it. From there you should see a roughly cylindrical shaped black pastic object. There are a few screws holding it together, once thats off you should have a clear view of the heater core. IMO the hardest part was getting the hard lines off the core fished up though the opening in the firewall. Even then it wasn't that bad IMO.

+Quote Post
94bird
post Sep 3 2004, 05:59 AM
Post #6

Insert catch phrase here

Member No.: 20

Dennis, pulling the dash will make it much easier. It was still a bear to get mine out. After a lot of wrestling with it I finally just broke up the black plastic housing it was in and got to the core. It was not a fun job, but I'm glad I did it.

However, I used to run the heater all the time while on track to help cool the car. That option is gone once you remove the heater core. It did help to run it, but I'll fix the problem the right way as soon as I get back on track.

+Quote Post
Teutonic Speedra...
post Sep 3 2004, 01:16 PM
Post #7

LS1 Inside! / Toolbox / Mechanical Engineer

Member No.: 179

Thanks guys!

+Quote Post
NataSS Inc
post Sep 3 2004, 06:20 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 73

QUOTE (94bird @ Sep 2 2004, 11:59 PM)
After a lot of wrestling with it I finally just broke up the black plastic housing it was in and got to the core. It was not a fun job, but I'm glad I did it.

So it CAN be pulled out without yanking the dash?

+Quote Post
94bird
post Sep 3 2004, 09:54 PM
Post #9

Insert catch phrase here

Member No.: 20

Oh no, my dash was out when I did this. It gave me more room to swing my hammer. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:52 PM