IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Blaine Fabrication.comHotpart.comUnbalanced EngineeringUMI PerformanceSolo Performance

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A trip to the coast, tentative plans ...
mitchntx
post Dec 16 2005, 02:23 PM
Post #1

Nothing says 'I love you.' like a box of Hydroshoks

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4

Some of you know, most of you don't ...

In August, my step father was given 6 months to finish his battle with cancer. In November, my wife and I moved them to a duplex 3 houses down the block from us so that we could keep an eye on them and make sure they were getting decent care.

My step father never made it to the duplex.

He has been in a hospital bed in my dining room since November 14th. My loving wife has nutured him and given him 5 weeks of care he would have never received anywhere else. The end is very close, now.

Thanksgiving and Christmas has been consumed with this. Along with our 27th wedding anniversary and my birthday.

Consequently, we both need a vacation ... I was thinking around Valentine's day or a little later in the spring.

I have a few relatives that live in SoCal and I thought we might drive out there.

How many of you guys live along the I10 region between DFW, Texas and San Bernadino?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Dec 16 2005, 02:55 PM
Post #2

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

Mitch, I had no idea.... I had really been hoping that your year was on the upswing. I hope that next year starts fresh and becomes everything you could ask for. I'm terribly sorry to hear this.

If you head east (and why would you?), I have a couple semi comfortable couches available in Columbus, OH (I may have an actual bed in the guest room by then....who knows). You and your family are always welcome.

+Quote Post
bsim
post Dec 16 2005, 02:55 PM
Post #3

Race Driver

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 205

Sorry to hear that Mitch - but once you make it to the end of I-10 there's a couple of us here that'll spring for a few of those fancy imported beers (you know, Shiner Bock). (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
firehawkclone
post Dec 16 2005, 03:10 PM
Post #4

Grumpy

Member No.: 81

Life.......happy and sad time's all at once! The happy time's are not so happy if it wasn't for the sad time's! Hang in there buddy.

Mitch I live about 100 mile's north, but it would be great to meet you (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

John

+Quote Post
CMC #37
post Dec 16 2005, 06:25 PM
Post #5

CMCer

Member No.: 194

I live about 375 miles north of John....I do visit and have business every so often down in SoCal so mebbe I can meet ya!

+Quote Post
GM01SS
post Dec 16 2005, 07:03 PM
Post #6

Nitto Destroyer!

Member No.: 29

Mitch............Just a guy who lurk's here!

Sorry to hear of your situation, it can be consuming. ( unfortunately, been there and done that)

Please hang in there for each other, it will get better with time.

If you decide to go way east (Upstate NY) could show you a good time in Rochester, and take a trip to Watkins Glen International.

God be with you and your family ( hope I am being polictcally correct here)

Gary

+Quote Post
John_D.
post Dec 16 2005, 07:37 PM
Post #7

Engine and Tools Moderator

Member No.: 6

Sorry to hear that.

It is good that you are able to be there for him. I would definitely prefer to have family looking after me at the very end like that.

+Quote Post
rmackintosh
post Dec 16 2005, 07:47 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 27

Mitch....hope all works out for the best for you and your family....sounds like you guys DESERVE a vacation! Best wishes....

+Quote Post
CMC#5
post Dec 16 2005, 10:07 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 160

Best wishes for you and yours Mitch. Hope things work out and improve.

As far as vacation time...maybe you should head West at about the right time to stop over in Fontana for the CMC and AI races in March! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
mitchntx
post Dec 16 2005, 11:31 PM
Post #10

Nothing says 'I love you.' like a box of Hydroshoks

Member No.: 4

No firm plans have been made, but the wife really wants to visit Disneyland again ... (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

And the relatives I have out there (San Bernadino) are well into their 70s. So, I should take an oppurtunity to visit them one more time while the oppurtunity is still there.

I'm just looking to see how we could plan for 3 or 4 days out there.

Also, not sure if we would rent a car here and drive out there, seeing some of America or just fly out, rent a car and then fly back. I like a leisure drive, personally ... but this is for the wife.

I thought about trying to coordinate the trip around a CMC event, but it's not high on HER priority list. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I very much appreciate the sentiments. I lost a brother in July. So this has been a very difficult year ...

But, it is very fulfilling knowing that we are doing the right thing and caring for him and my mom (blind and crippled with arthritis). They are both in their 80s, been extremely generous and deserve the best we can offer. My racing and racing budget is taking a back seat ... 2006 might see CMC #9 on a limited schedule ... but that's OK ...

To give you an idea of just how fulfilling it is ...

Last night at 4am my wife and I got up and had to change him. Like I said, he is bed-ridden. He had made quite a mess ... We got him up and my wife grabbed some wipes to help clean him and apparently they were freaking cold! I was holding him up in bed and he looked at me and asked if Debbie was trying to hurt him or just give him pneumonia. He had the biggest grin on his face.

Here is a WW2 vet, retired SWBell lineman and ex-Deputy Sheriff sitting there with me, having most of his pride and dignity stripped away because of the cancer and still has a great attitude. He is a true inspiration ...

+Quote Post
Tony99SS
post Dec 17 2005, 02:47 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 291

Mitch,

I am very sorry to hear about your recent trials. Here's hoping your 2006 brings new beginnings and smoother waters for you and you r family.

I would heartily recommend NOT driving all the way to southern California from here. I have made the round trip drive at least a half dozen times (all of them solo) and trust me, there is not a whole helluva lot to see, and certainly not enough to waste three days total (1 1/2 each way, taking it easy) of a hard earned vacation staring at featureless interstate and dodging overzealous highway patrolmen. Hell, half the drive from here (Beaumont, in extreme Southeast Texas) to LA is in Texas. You know that if you've seen one stretch of West Texas, you've seen it all.

YOu and yours are in my thoughts,
Tony
Beaumont

+Quote Post
Formula WS6
post Dec 17 2005, 10:26 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 45

best wishes to you and yours this Christmas Mitch. sorry to hear about all the hardship you have been throught this year.

+Quote Post
KeithO
post Dec 17 2005, 11:21 PM
Post #13

Veteran Member

Member No.: 14

I wish you and your wife the best in this situation.

+Quote Post
2000Z-71
post Dec 21 2005, 04:00 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 314

Sorry to hear that Mitch. I went through something similar with my dad a few years back and it was the most difficult time in my life. Watching the man who I thought all of my life was invincible and there was nothing that he couldn't do be reduced by his health was not something that I thought could ever happen.

I'm in Phoenix, if you make the drive and want to stop, beers are on me. I would suggest getting a flight on Southwest. The plane tickets are probably cheaper than buying gas and you'll save yourself a rather desolate drive.

+Quote Post
nape
post Dec 21 2005, 05:53 PM
Post #15

Veteran Member

Member No.: 540

Sorry to hear about how rough it's been this year.

Cancer got my grandfather who had a similar resume to your father when I was too young to remember. Remember all the stories so you can tell everyone how he's a helluva guy.

Good luck and best wishes.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 12:48 AM