IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Solo PerformanceHotpart.comBlaine Fabrication.comUnbalanced EngineeringUMI Performance

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> why an f-body?
Eric02z
post Feb 1 2004, 04:57 AM
Post #1

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 118

Thought i'd see just why everyone here races an f-body vs something else.

My reasons; (no order)
1. underdog factor (normally only f-body out on course)
2. V8/muscle car tie in to what I grew up with.
3. Entry price for a very potent LS1 car out of the box. (ye old bag 4 buck)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Formula WS6
post Feb 1 2004, 02:59 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 45

basically the same for me. i love f bodies, firebirds and trans ams in particular. so it was only natural for me to get one or two.

+Quote Post
sgarnett
post Feb 1 2004, 03:07 PM
Post #3

Seeking round tuits

Member No.: 33

Well, there's the bang for the buck stuff, and I love the 4th gen body styles (although it took me a while to warm up to the 98+ Camaro nose). I find the 4th gen f-bodies to be VERY comfortable (for the driver). Miatas and Mustangs are very cramped.

I've got an MGB too, and have though about autocrossing it. In it's current state of arrested decay it will probably remain fun to drive for a long time, but subjecting it to competition abuse would require some refurbishing.

+Quote Post
y5e06
post Feb 1 2004, 03:11 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 88

I'm a corvette guy. It was time to pick a car to use for Auto-x, track days, time trials etc. I just couldn't bring myself to flog the crap out of my C4. I love V8, RWD, and affordable (cheap) cars. A second C4 just wasn't in the cards. Also, at the time FS and ESP were fairly decent classes around here. I originally wanted a Fox body. But we all know how crappy those supensions are. So a 4th gen fit perfect. In retrospect, it was a great choice. I really enjoy the Z28. Bang for the buck its just sooo much fun, I really like the look, and I'm a fan of LT1's (see sig!) Its just heavy and eats tires!

+Quote Post
SSpeedracer
post Feb 1 2004, 05:05 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 61

I don't "race." Only do the open track thing.

I agree with the bang for the buck factor. Now take that to the next step.... bang for the buck for a convertible. I could not find any other high powered convertible for anywhere near the price of my SS, that could perform nearly as well.

The convertible out performs most every other "streetable" vehicle that shows up to the OT events I go to, and I can drop the top to take my wife for a cruise. Car meets my expectations in many categories without giving up much.

One last thing... Gear Head factor. I think I would be bored buying a "turn key" performance vehicle that did not have available aftermarket speed equipment available.

+Quote Post
Ojustracing
post Feb 1 2004, 05:06 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 66

After being a straight line guy since 94, and low 9's and 140mph were getting boring(I hate to say that). I raced in the OLOA 03'. After the event went out and bought an older LX to make into a OT car. Well after doing some stuff to the car and finding out that this is going to get expensive really fast then I still have a old LX. I went looking. A vette was out of the question, need some type of back seat for my wife and daughter. A bird or camaro came to the top of the list. So I went and bought a car that had some track miles and a bunch of the usual stuff and here I am. Later John

+Quote Post
prockbp
post Feb 1 2004, 10:19 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

they're good looking cars..... the earliest i can remember really falling in love with F-bodies was when i was bout 10 years old... driving to my grandma's house and passing a brand new black IROC-Z on the way... that's about all it took

they're cool.... only recently did i discover what a kick ass performer f-bodies are

i'm totally oposite of Morgan... if i had a brand new Vette and a brand new Z28.. i would flog the vette to death much sooner than i would tear up the z28...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 08:20 AM