IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Blaine Fabrication.comHotpart.comUMI PerformanceUnbalanced EngineeringSolo Performance

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Back from Nashville, As usual, we broke it (both of them.....
trackbird
post Apr 18 2004, 08:19 PM
Post #1

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

Drove to Nashville to find out that car #1 (the 71 Mach 1) had ripped the front yoke off the driveshaft on Friday. There was no penetration on the weld on the front of the tube and it finally lost the battle with the 331 small block in the car. The company that built it was sending one overnight, Saturday delivery to get us out on track.

Car #2 (IMSA Mach 1) had broken the fitting between the rear master cylinder and the brake fluid recirculator valve. It broke off flush with the master cylinder and was brass (that scared me).

The weekend was off to a good start.....

My friend tried to use an extractor on the master cylinder to remove the fitting (it just drilled it out). So I tapped it with a pipe thread tap and salvaged that end. The recirculator finally came apart after finding something to fit snugly inside the brass fitting to grab it with pliers and remove it. A few new fittings and that was all fixed.

When bleeding the brakes, I discovered a leaking right rear axle seal. Done for the weekend with that car.

Meanwhile the driveshaft showed up...with a cracked seal on one of the caps (hard plastic seals, junk). I pulled out our spare U-joint and it was not the same. So, I managed to determine that the caps would interchange (between brands even) so I swapped the caps and reinstalled the U-joint. We hit the track to determine that the driveshaft that departed on Friday took the pinion bearing and pinion seal with it. So, due to a rear end rebuild, that car was also done for the day.

I offered to swap center sections between the IMSA car and the AIX car (both 9") and get one running, but my friend decided to call it a weekend (the IMSA car is for sale and he didn't want to cannibalize it). Such is another day in the life of a race car (or 2).

I guess it all falls under the "that's racin'" category. I'm starting to get used to this. We break stuff better than anybody I know.

So, I managed to leave early to drive back home (450 miles).

And, due to construction, I didn't even get to see Nashville..... (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

You can see who I was with at Team Dark Horse Racing

Yea, I know it's a Ford, but I feel compelled to work on the ugliest race cars on the planet (both of them).

I think I'd rather be doing brake jobs in the pits with Mitch..... (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
94bird
post Apr 18 2004, 10:25 PM
Post #2

Insert catch phrase here

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 20

You were at the Mustang anniversary event right? Did you see the new GTR there?

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Apr 18 2004, 10:57 PM
Post #3

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

QUOTE (94bird @ Apr 18 2004, 05:25 PM)
You were at the Mustang anniversary event right? Did you see the new GTR there?

Yes I was and no I didn't. I was stuck in the pits and never made it to the display area. I did see a regular 2005, it was running the track events. I actually kinda like it. I'm not sure I'd buy one, but it is starting to grow on me.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:08 PM