IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Solo PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.comUnbalanced EngineeringHotpart.comUMI Performance

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Loading cars on trailers safety discussion
trackbird
post Sep 17 2008, 01:00 AM
Post #1

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

We all know that Glenn won the CMC (Camaro Mustang Challenge) race in his Camaro. In the process, he got into the back of a Porsche 944 that was a much slower car. It was a racing incident and it happens, but that bent the tow hook on the front of the car.

Anyway, when we loaded it in the trailer, I managed to get the winch hooked up to the bent hook so we could pull it up the ramps (I didn't "like" that, but I didn't think it was going to be a big deal). Once it was up in the trailer, I hooked the rear straps to the axle and the floor of the trailer and Glenn told me to tell him when the straps were snug (as he pulled the car up with the winch). Just as they were pulled snug, I told him "tight" and hopped up. I no sooner got to my feet (standing right against the rear bumper) and he bumped the winch "extra snug" and the tow eyelet broke off of the car. The car quickly rolled out of the back of the trailer. Problem was, I was standing right there. I really hadn't had a chance to get my footing before I found myself trying to stop a car. I couldn't get out of the way, it was already "into me". So I tried jamming my foot into the trailer ramp and slamming my knee into the back of the bumper. That slowed it down, but I still couldn't get enough grip or balance to actually stop it. And, the ramp ends half way down and I'm wondering if I'm going to fall off of the end (and then what). That's when Jeff Burch (last years NASA CMC champion) and another guy jumped in to help (thanks guys!!!). Luckily they saw what was going on and dove in and helped me hold the car until we could get it blocked in place.

So, it's really a good thing that I stood up as quick as I did, or I'd have probably been under the car. And, it's an even better thing that those guys arrived... or I'd have probably been under the car.

I wound up with some sore muscles and such, but I'm otherwise fine (and feeling pretty good already).

In the past, I've been known to use a wheel chock when loading with a winch. I just slide it up the ramp behind the car "just in case". In this case, I questioned the tow hook, but didn't act on that. And this does put you right behind a rather heavy object that's on wheels. So, nobody got hurt, but it reminded me to bring up the subject of being safe while loading your car on the trailer. Use wheel chocks or stay out from behind it. Don't pull them down with the winch, you can snug it with a tow strap hooked to something more substantial than the eyelet and I'm sure there are other things to suggest as well.

I goofed by not trusting my instinct about that eyelet and could have managed to get myself hurt. I just wanted to post this to remind everyone to think before you wind up standing where I was standing at just the wrong time.

Be safe!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sgarnett
post Sep 17 2008, 01:39 AM
Post #2

Seeking round tuits

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 33

Yikes!!!

+Quote Post
GlennCMC70
post Sep 17 2008, 02:46 AM
Post #3

Veteran Member

Group: Member
Member No.: 8

using the tow hook was not the problem, it was the DAMAGED tow hook that was the problem. i should have known better and will in the future. i think w/ all got a "freebie" w/ this one as it could have easily been a "hard lesson learned".
Kevin, i'm so glad your OK.

+Quote Post
roadracetransam
post Sep 17 2008, 03:03 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,201

so Kevin found a part time job as a wheel chock (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/nutkick.gif)

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Sep 17 2008, 03:33 AM
Post #5

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Member No.: 196

QUOTE (GlennCMC70 @ Sep 16 2008, 10:46 PM) *
using the tow hook was not the problem, it was the DAMAGED tow hook that was the problem. i should have known better and will in the future. i think w/ all got a "freebie" w/ this one as it could have easily been a "hard lesson learned".
Kevin, i'm so glad your OK.

Exactly, it was the fact that it was damaged that was the issue. We all should have known better. Ultimately there was no harm done and it was a good reminder to all of us, and I figured everyone else could use the reminder as well.

I'm fine, the sore muscles are all feeling pretty good. It wasn't anymore your fault than mine. We both missed it and used that hook. Not your fault. Just dumb, we're all smarter and we'll do better from here on out.

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Sep 17 2008, 10:24 AM
Post #6

I build race cars

Member No.: 874

Glad you were not hurt, it doesn't take a whole lot of space for a car to build up enough momentum to do damage. It wins.

I've done a lot of jacking and towing, and have had things happen that I will never admit to ;-) Now, when I get a car on a trailer, either winched or driven, I immediately chock the front wheels, and then tighten a strap on the front before I get behind the car.

+Quote Post
Teutonic Speedra...
post Sep 17 2008, 11:09 AM
Post #7

LS1 Inside! / Toolbox / Mechanical Engineer

Member No.: 179

I get the car on the trailer, leave it in gear (no parking brake on car). I then chock the rear wheel, put the front straps on so they will hold the car, but not pulling against the tranny while in gear. I put the car in neutral, then do the rear straps, then tighten the fronts, then tighten the rears, remove the chock.

+Quote Post
Pony Exp.305
post Sep 17 2008, 12:32 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 998

(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) Kevin, Glad you okay and alive...Yes, I had using load trailer a lot. I have to careful with loading car on trailer. Be Judgement.
Watched on TV "Wrecked" Good show...

+Quote Post
Crazy Canuck
post Sep 17 2008, 05:37 PM
Post #9

North of the border

Member No.: 177

glad you're ok, Kevin...

+Quote Post
CMC #37
post Sep 17 2008, 05:43 PM
Post #10

CMCer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 194

QUOTE (Teutonic Speedracer @ Sep 17 2008, 06:09 AM) *
I get the car on the trailer, leave it in gear (no parking brake on car). I then chock the rear wheel, put the front straps on so they will hold the car, but not pulling against the tranny while in gear. I put the car in neutral, then do the rear straps, then tighten the fronts, then tighten the rears, remove the chock.

This is what I do loading by myself also. My problems have more been about not having the car in gear in the paddock when I thought it was....folks have saved my butt on that one! One time the front tire ran over my foot. Thank goodness the car had a ton of negative camber or I probably would not have been able to race that weekend! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

I have noticed a tendency for folks not to put a blanket or something on their winch cable when winching their cars into their trailers. PLEASE do this. You do not want to be on the receiving end of a loose winch cable! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

+Quote Post
00 Trans Ram
post Sep 17 2008, 09:19 PM
Post #11

Experienced Member

Member No.: 303

Also, some good info from GM in the latest Sportscar or GRM on hauling a car.

I wonder why no one makes spring-loaded wheel chocks for trailers? You know, they sink into the floor when you're pulling onto the trailer, but spring up when the wheel passes it? You'd be able to manually lower them for getting the car off the trailer.

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Sep 17 2008, 10:11 PM
Post #12

I build race cars

Member No.: 874

QUOTE (00 Trans Ram @ Sep 17 2008, 02:19 PM) *
I wonder why no one makes spring-loaded wheel chocks for trailers? You know, they sink into the floor when you're pulling onto the trailer, but spring up when the wheel passes it? You'd be able to manually lower them for getting the car off the trailer.

What would you be willing to pay for a product like this?

+Quote Post
roadracetransam
post Sep 18 2008, 02:36 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Good idea, you could use that together with a wheel stop. Essentialy drive onto the trailer till it hits that stop, and the chock pops up at the same time. Load and lock and ready to go.
By the way, I left the emergency brake on the car for just this reason. Putting it into gear works, but you can't get out of the car and have it idle at the same time. Makes it impossible to hop out if the car on any incline with the engine running.

+Quote Post
00 Trans Ram
post Sep 18 2008, 02:28 PM
Post #14

Experienced Member

Member No.: 303

QUOTE (Blainefab @ Sep 17 2008, 05:11 PM) *

hahaha - Alan, I'm probably the wrong person to ask that question to! I've got a converted utility trailer with baords for the floor. I'm the textbook definition of "budget racer". But, I get lots of good ideas!

However, if I put on my "I've got an enclosed trailer and can afford this" hat, then I'd think $200 would be a good price. It'd have to be something that I can just cut a hole in the floor and bolt/rivet into place. Heck, you may even be ablt to make it flat enough when compressed so that it wouldn't require cutting. I'm not that good of a fabrictor - but I think you could pull it off!

+Quote Post
pknowles
post Sep 18 2008, 03:55 PM
Post #15

Experienced Member

Member No.: 193

QUOTE (Teutonic Speedracer @ Sep 17 2008, 07:09 AM) *

I do something very similar.

1) I get the car on the trailer, leave it in gear AND use parking brake. If I'm on flat ground I'll just use the parking brake.
2) Put all 4 straps on the car, but leave them loose so that I don't pull against the trans.
3) Put the car in neutral
4) Tighten straps
5) Engage parking brake.

It's simple, it works and I don't need chocks!

+Quote Post
CMC #37
post Sep 18 2008, 04:29 PM
Post #16

CMCer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 194

QUOTE (00 Trans Ram @ Sep 18 2008, 09:28 AM) *
QUOTE (Blainefab @ Sep 17 2008, 05:11 PM) *

hahaha - Alan, I'm probably the wrong person to ask that question to! I've got a converted utility trailer with baords for the floor. I'm the textbook definition of "budget racer". But, I get lots of good ideas!

However, if I put on my "I've got an enclosed trailer and can afford this" hat, then I'd think $200 would be a good price. It'd have to be something that I can just cut a hole in the floor and bolt/rivet into place. Heck, you may even be ablt to make it flat enough when compressed so that it wouldn't require cutting. I'm not that good of a fabrictor - but I think you could pull it off!

Cutting holes in the bottom of the trailer is out for me!

+Quote Post
slowTA
post Sep 18 2008, 10:27 PM
Post #17

Experienced Member

Member No.: 331

QUOTE (Blainefab @ Sep 17 2008, 06:11 PM) *

I saw that follow up post coming a mile away.

I think some kind of contraption that drags a wheel chock up the trailer behind the car would work just as well and wouldn't require cutting the floor. Think a bar the width of the car with a chock on each end. Hook it to the axle with 2 straps towards the ends. It would resemble those jousting/baton things they used on American Gladiator with rubber triangle chocks on either end. This would probably be overkill and cumbersome for a car and trailer that are easy to load.

Or you could come up with something smaller that stays behind one wheel.

This post has been edited by slowTA: Sep 18 2008, 10:28 PM

+Quote Post
roadracetransam
post Sep 18 2008, 10:42 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (slowTA @ Sep 18 2008, 03:27 PM) *
I think some kind of contraption that drags a wheel chock up the trailer behind the car would work just as well and wouldn't require cutting the floor. Think a bar the width of the car with a chock on each end. Hook it to the axle with 2 straps towards the ends. It would resemble those jousting/baton things they used on American Gladiator with rubber triangle chocks on either end. This would probably be overkill and cumbersome for a car and trailer that are easy to load.

Or you could come up with something smaller that stays behind one wheel.

now that just sounds silly

I can see that getting caught in a bunch of things.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:41 PM