IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Blaine Fabrication.comUnbalanced EngineeringHotpart.comSolo PerformanceUMI Performance

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I'm entering a lemons race. Need a cheap or free race seat
matt f
post Jan 18 2010, 03:43 PM
Post #1

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 228

As the title says. I need something before June, so I've got time.

Thanks,

Matt
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Jan 18 2010, 04:24 PM
Post #2

Veteran Member

Member No.: 385

Double-check the rules. I _think_ seats are considered part of the safety equipment, so it's open. You can then go cheap, or get new and not have to worry about it hitting your bottom line.

What'cha running? You're going to love LeMons!

+Quote Post
matt f
post Jan 18 2010, 04:51 PM
Post #3

We picked up an 88 Turbo Coupe (5 speed) on Friday. After an alternator replacement, the alt overcharged the system and fried some fusible links. While waiting for a replacement, it was sideswiped by a drunk.

So now, It's ours. For better or worse.

There's a guy on the Turbo T bird website who was very competitive in 3 races, while not touching the stock 140 kmile engine. He even bumped up the timing for his 2nd and 3rd races.

So my brother and I are debating on whether or not to completely gut it and install a V8 setup, or to try to get a race or 2 out of the 2.3T unit. Either way, the car's going on a serious diet, with a target raceweight of 27-2800 lbs.

I just saw that you have an SVO. One of the mods we're going to do is to install a master from one. Do you have a resource for parts that I might use? Also, If you've got any SVO buddies looking for an engine, I may have one for sale or trade. 30 kmiles on a rebuilt bottom end (030 over) w/ a slighly hotter cam.

Thanks,

Matt

Lemons AKA: Sir Thomas Crapper

This post has been edited by matt f: Jan 18 2010, 04:53 PM

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jan 18 2010, 05:18 PM
Post #4

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

I'd run the 2.3. Stock power is good since cooling issues were what killed lots of the Toyota cars like we ran (we ran a Supra...with a 3 core copper/brass radiator that came out of my Camaro in it) and we had no issues (the first year). You don't typically need huge HP in this race. You need to finish. You can't win it from the pits while fixing stuff. If it's a rebuilt engine, I'd run it as is and go have fun. If it blows up, put a V8 in it.

+Quote Post
Todd
post Jan 19 2010, 02:07 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,682

a supercoupe should work just fine. i wouldn't bother swapping to a V8...they don't care for v8's. the SC that ran at spring 09 was pretty fast...but weight reduction is definitely in order. see if you can find any ford motorsports suspension parts to stiffen the suspension.

+Quote Post
matt f
post Jan 19 2010, 04:18 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Todd @ Jan 19 2010, 09:07 AM) *
a supercoupe should work just fine. i wouldn't bother swapping to a V8...they don't care for v8's. the SC that ran at spring 09 was pretty fast...but weight reduction is definitely in order. see if you can find any ford motorsports suspension parts to stiffen the suspension.

Its a turbo coupe (2.3 I4)

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Jan 19 2010, 05:19 PM
Post #7

Veteran Member

Member No.: 385

What Kevin said! "To finish first, first, you must finish."

Make laps, stay clean, watch for the flags and make laps. We ran a stupid little Isuzu Impulse in Houston, and finished 28th by doing just that (4 of 5 teammates had never turned a wheel on a road course). Put good gas in that turbocoupe, and get better cooling to the IC and let 'er go. If it doesn't ping, advance the timing a bit, but resist the urge to up the boost, or you'll be spending time in the pits. Our SVO has been autocrossed for about 5 years with the only failure being a clutch (>100K mile clutch disk) and head gasket (we let someone else drive the car).

Spend your time on getting the car light, and making it handle. You can take a bunch of people coming off the corners with the turbo, if you can plant your foot on the loud pedal immediately after your initial turn-in. Get some old GT swaybars, try to find some motorsport springs that look like crap, pull the interior out and have fun!

I'd completely gut it, install a roll cage and harnesses and have fun with the 2.3T.

+Quote Post
Fauxhawk
post Jan 20 2010, 03:37 PM
Post #8

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,837

I was all set to enter the Lemons with an 87 Turbocoupe that someone had previously swapped to a 306ci SBF with a T5 transmission.

I have a racing seat from it for $20 just to recover what I had in to it. We didn't make the race as there were some issues that popped up (IE: Michigans economy) and everyone started dropping out like flies.... if you're near Michigan, LMK... I also have a 5 point harness that could be used for mock up purposes as it's missing it's SFI tag.

Here's some tips: Convert the gas tank to a fuel cell. The fox chassis cars always get removed from the race by people who cannot drive hitting them in the qtr panel near the fuel filler. The neck then brakes and causes a fuel leak that cannot be repaired, removing you from the race completely. A cheap fuel cell falls under the safety category (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

And the 2.3T - make sure you keep it cool. Ford had issues with them running hot doing long term testing around race tracks. After a couple hours of abuse the headgasket was wanting to let go.

This post has been edited by Fauxhawk: Jan 20 2010, 03:39 PM

+Quote Post
matt f
post Jan 20 2010, 07:16 PM
Post #9

If you could ship it, I'd be happy to take it off your hands. Either that, or we could just pass it from member to member till it gets to PA:)

QUOTE (Fauxhawk @ Jan 20 2010, 10:37 AM) *
I was all set to enter the Lemons with an 87 Turbocoupe that someone had previously swapped to a 306ci SBF with a T5 transmission.

I have a racing seat from it for $20 just to recover what I had in to it. We didn't make the race as there were some issues that popped up (IE: Michigans economy) and everyone started dropping out like flies.... if you're near Michigan, LMK... I also have a 5 point harness that could be used for mock up purposes as it's missing it's SFI tag.

Here's some tips: Convert the gas tank to a fuel cell. The fox chassis cars always get removed from the race by people who cannot drive hitting them in the qtr panel near the fuel filler. The neck then brakes and causes a fuel leak that cannot be repaired, removing you from the race completely. A cheap fuel cell falls under the safety category (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

And the 2.3T - make sure you keep it cool. Ford had issues with them running hot doing long term testing around race tracks. After a couple hours of abuse the headgasket was wanting to let go.

+Quote Post
Fauxhawk
post Jan 20 2010, 07:50 PM
Post #10

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,837

QUOTE (matt f @ Jan 20 2010, 02:16 PM) *
If you could ship it, I'd be happy to take it off your hands. Either that, or we could just pass it from member to member till it gets to PA:)

QUOTE (Fauxhawk @ Jan 20 2010, 10:37 AM) *

Let's see what I can do. Not sure how cheap shipping will be, i'll find out tho.

It's a composite/plastic/whatever 1 piece summit racing seat that's got a leather cover over it.

+Quote Post
matt f
post Jan 20 2010, 08:14 PM
Post #11

I appreciate the effort faux bro'

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 10:21 AM