IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

UMI PerformanceHotpart.comSolo PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.comUnbalanced Engineering
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Laguna, Long Haul from BC
ReEntryRacer
post Mar 16 2008, 04:49 PM
Post #1

ReEntryRacer

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 569

I dropped into Laguna Seca a few days ago while I was heading back to Canada after a vacation in AZ. We watched the Audi bunch having so much fun that I have convinced my wife to support me in a long haul back down there this season with my SCCA-legal GT1 car. Its just production-based and nowhere near as fast as purpose-built tube-frame 'real' GT1 cars, but I want to try that track before I get much older/fatter/slower. I have joined SCCA-SF Region in preparation, and see three SCCA events listed, one in early May, another in late June and another in early Oct. I could REALLY use some advice as I prep the car and plan the long trip down from British Columbia. Is there anyone on here that intends to compete in one or more of these weekends? This old 'newbie' could use all the local information he can get! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
Larry
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rmackintosh
post Mar 16 2008, 08:56 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 27

QUOTE (ReEntryRacer @ Mar 16 2008, 11:49 AM) *
I dropped into Laguna Seca a few days ago while I was heading back to Canada after a vacation in AZ. We watched the Audi bunch having so much fun that I have convinced my wife to support me in a long haul back down there this season with my SCCA-legal GT1 car. Its just production-based and nowhere near as fast as purpose-built tube-frame 'real' GT1 cars, but I want to try that track before I get much older/fatter/slower. I have joined SCCA-SF Region in preparation, and see three SCCA events listed, one in early May, another in late June and another in early Oct. I could REALLY use some advice as I prep the car and plan the long trip down from British Columbia. Is there anyone on here that intends to compete in one or more of these weekends? This old 'newbie' could use all the local information he can get! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
Larry

Likely I will be at all three of those events.

Pending my car getting done, and me finding a new job..... (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)

THE MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE I CAN INSTILL ON YOU IF YOU ARE GONNA HAUL ALL THE WAY DOWN HERE FOR LAGUNA IS........MAKE SURE YOUR CAR WILL PASS SOUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laguna is sound NAZI's and they have park rangers roaming around with sound meters nailing people......I see it all the time, folks towing for miles and they turn 4 laps all weekend because they can't get the car to pass sound.

This is assuming your car is sorted in all the "normal" areas and is fairly reliable.....

IT IS THE BEST TRACK TO DRIVE ON PERIOD, so I think you should come on down! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/cool2.gif)

+Quote Post
ReEntryRacer
post Mar 16 2008, 10:06 PM
Post #3

ReEntryRacer

Thanks for the encouragement Randy. I see from your website that you had a big one at the last race in Laguna.
I hope you can recover from that severe damage in time to run the whole season.

About the noise issue; can you tell me the dB limit(s) for big bore cars? I play around with those fast GT1 cars here at home and we have to meet 95 dB taken at 50' from the track edge at an acceleration zone. I never quite get to 95 so I hope that will work down there. You have experience with SCCA GT and IT so maybe you can tell me how SCCA will want my car placed. I know its not IT-legal due to its age, and I'm not sure how they will view my underpowered car (~340 RWHP) in GT1. We have a run-what-ya-brung type of GT group here that allows any year of car as long as it meets all CACC/SCCA safety preparation rules. As well as CACC/SCCA GTS 1-4 classes, we have a GT-O (over 4000cc) class for odd-ball cars with rotary engines in Fieros and Datsun 510's etc. What run group do you think I'd be best in?

+Quote Post
rmackintosh
post Mar 17 2008, 05:32 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (ReEntryRacer @ Mar 16 2008, 05:06 PM) *
Thanks for the encouragement Randy. I see from your website that you had a big one at the last race in Laguna.
I hope you can recover from that severe damage in time to run the whole season.

About the noise issue; can you tell me the dB limit(s) for big bore cars? I play around with those fast GT1 cars here at home and we have to meet 95 dB taken at 50' from the track edge at an acceleration zone. I never quite get to 95 so I hope that will work down there. You have experience with SCCA GT and IT so maybe you can tell me how SCCA will want my car placed. I know its not IT-legal due to its age, and I'm not sure how they will view my underpowered car (~340 RWHP) in GT1. We have a run-what-ya-brung type of GT group here that allows any year of car as long as it meets all CACC/SCCA safety preparation rules. As well as CACC/SCCA GTS 1-4 classes, we have a GT-O (over 4000cc) class for odd-ball cars with rotary engines in Fieros and Datsun 510's etc. What run group do you think I'd be best in?

Yeah, I got clocked pretty good. T-boned a Datsun 510....which I raced for 9 years....at over 100 MPH! He was WAAAAAAY out of shape and fishtailing wildly and came at me with no "warning" and I was stuck.... (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I am working on the car now. Just dropped the motor and tranny in this weekend. I WILL miss the season opener in 2 weeks for sure. I HOPE to get it together for the May Laguna race....round #2.

If your car is not tube framed, and you run on DOT tires....you will be elegible for ITE, which is what I run. There is no year cut off and there are plenty of 3rd gens that run....even an occaisional 1st gen. You will still be under powered for the hardware we see around here, but you WILL have someone to race with as ITE has a large spread of car type and prep. There are three rules:

1. Must be tub based production car
2. Must run on DOT tires
3. Must meet IT category safety rules

As far as sound....man, you guys are even tighter than we are! They attempt to put us in a 103 db window.....and most of our runs are that. However, due to scheduling we may have a 101 db session or two in there...sometimes it is a race. Since sound is set by windows, you can have the db limit change mid session! I will say this, many say that their car "grows" a few db at Laguna....ie if their car was a 101 db at Thunderhill....it can be say a 104 db at Laguna....just the way it goes. If you are that quiet, you **SHOULD** be OK. However, I would bring some turndowns, or other means to "tune" the dbs if you can.

If you have a fuel cell, you could run in GT-1 as well....you would be way under manned, but you could double enter in both ITE (group 1) and GT-1 (group 3) to maximize the track time you get for the HELLACIOUS tow you have in store.

Come on down!
(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif)

+Quote Post
ReEntryRacer
post Mar 17 2008, 06:13 AM
Post #5

ReEntryRacer

Wow, you are a fount of knowledge! A couple more questions please:
1. Are Hoosier R5s or R6s considered DOT by SCCA? They say DOT on them, but they are radial race slicks in passenger car sizes. I use Hoosier radial rains too.
2. I normally use 4.10 rear gears, and never see 5th gear with my T5 up here. Can you guess what gears a T5 car with only 6000 RPM needs at the longest/fastest straight at Laguna?
3. I think I have all GT1 required items including 10lbs of Halon, forged bellhousing, DS loops, 22 gal. fuel cell. I still have a glass rear hatch with hoodpins only, no straps. Will that bounce me?
4. I saw something about a recently proposed/revised rule about NASCAR-like bars into the door rather than across it. If so, I will need to remove my aluminum inner door liners and do some cutting and welding.
Thanks again. You are helping me enormously!
Larry

+Quote Post
rmackintosh
post Mar 17 2008, 03:02 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (ReEntryRacer @ Mar 17 2008, 01:13 AM) *
1. Are Hoosier R5s or R6s considered DOT by SCCA? They say DOT on them, but they are radial race slicks in passenger car sizes. I use Hoosier radial rains too.
2. I normally use 4.10 rear gears, and never see 5th gear with my T5 up here. Can you guess what gears a T5 car with only 6000 RPM needs at the longest/fastest straight at Laguna?
3. I think I have all GT1 required items including 10lbs of Halon, forged bellhousing, DS loops, 22 gal. fuel cell. I still have a glass rear hatch with hoodpins only, no straps. Will that bounce me?
4. I saw something about a recently proposed/revised rule about NASCAR-like bars into the door rather than across it. If so, I will need to remove my aluminum inner door liners and do some cutting and welding.
Larry

The Hoosiers are fine for ITE.

As for the rear gears....you might get into 5th on the front straight. I use 3.90's and have no problem but I go to 7000 RPM. The 4.10's should be really nice climbing up the hill however. I know some vintage guys who go even higher than that!

I am no expert on GT-1 rules. The rear hatch with glass I would **THINK** would be OK. They might prefer window clips to hold it in though.....I would ping Alan Blaine on here to get input from one who builds cars and knows the rules much more so than I. PM him and I am sure he could answer.

Same for the NASCAR bars. I would **THINK** you are OK, but Alan would know better.

This post has been edited by rmackintosh: Mar 17 2008, 03:03 PM

+Quote Post
ReEntryRacer
post Mar 18 2008, 08:18 PM
Post #7

ReEntryRacer

Thanks again. Good to know I don't need Toyos or something. I have been scouring the SCCA GCRs and GT1 rules to ensure I'm in compliance, and other than moving my oil cooler from the passenger compartment floor back to the front, adding the 3 support strips inside my lexan windshield, and adding the two strips outside the rear hatch, I look legal (if not very fast) in that class. I'm totally bafffled about ITE though. I see no references to that class on the official SCCA Cars and Classes site. I'm assuming its a local/regional thing? I see that your region also has a class called GTA in Group 3. The ICSCC up here has such a class that catches the GT cars that comply with the safety regs but not necessarily with the GT1 specs. Can you point me at a set of regs for that class? Sorry about all the questions. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
Larry

+Quote Post
rmackintosh
post Mar 19 2008, 02:19 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (ReEntryRacer @ Mar 18 2008, 03:18 PM) *
Thanks again. Good to know I don't need Toyos or something. I have been scouring the SCCA GCRs and GT1 rules to ensure I'm in compliance, and other than moving my oil cooler from the passenger compartment floor back to the front, adding the 3 support strips inside my lexan windshield, and adding the two strips outside the rear hatch, I look legal (if not very fast) in that class. I'm totally bafffled about ITE though. I see no references to that class on the official SCCA Cars and Classes site. I'm assuming its a local/regional thing? I see that your region also has a class called GTA in Group 3. The ICSCC up here has such a class that catches the GT cars that comply with the safety regs but not necessarily with the GT1 specs. Can you point me at a set of regs for that class? Sorry about all the questions. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
Larry

No problem. Questions are good and ALWAYS welcome.

Here is the ITE rules:

SFR SCCA ITE RULES

Not much meat there.....but VERY OPEN for you and others!

GTA is a spec class for Tube Framed spec motor/tire cars. You would not be eligible.

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Mar 20 2008, 06:33 PM
Post #9

I build race cars

Member No.: 874

QUOTE (ReEntryRacer @ Mar 16 2008, 11:13 PM) *
Larry

Larry - Welcome back to Laguna! I don't get there nearly as often as I'd like to anymore. My shop is 1hr from the paddock and I work weekend evenings so if you have any problems needing cut 'n paste give me a call 831 427-3296

1. Yes, Hoosier DOT radials are considered DOT tires for ITE.
2. Of our 3 tracks (Thunderhill, Sears Point, Laguna), Laguna has the shortest straights - I never touch the rev limit there on my car (6300rpm, 4th gear 1:1, 3.73 rear = 128mph) With 4.10 and 6000rpm you'll top out at 111mph in 4th - sounds kinda low for even a mild motor - so you may tickle the limiter before braking for T2 and/or T5.
3. They'll want 2 straps of metal 1/8 x 1" top to bottom over the rear window.
4. The new cage rules recommend NASCAR bars but do not require them. They DO require 2 door bars on each side - "X" is good.

Enter ITE as your primary class and have fun with the hotrodded street cars in group1 and as a second class GT1 or SP (Super Production - another regional class) in goup3. Both groups get 101db sound - if you have a chambered muffler you'll be OK if the car doesn't rattle or buzz from vibration.

Rules are here: http://scca.com/documents/Club%20Rules/GCR2008.pdf review the cage tube sizes in appendix G. If you are ERW you'll need a SCCA logbook from prior to 2003 to grandfather it. Fire system nozzles in the fuel cell compartment, and it should be completely sealed from the driver compartment, including filler pipe. Any fluid carrying hoses in the drivers compartment need to be metal. SCCA patch for the driver suit, stickers for car. For assistance with SCCA license and race entry, contact:
Customer Service Colleen Worthington
530-934-5588 ext 100
colleen@thunderhill.com

+Quote Post
ReEntryRacer
post Mar 20 2008, 08:34 PM
Post #10

ReEntryRacer

QUOTE (Blainefab @ Mar 20 2008, 11:33 AM) *
Larry - Welcome back to Laguna! I don't get there nearly as often as I'd like to anymore. My shop is 1hr from the paddock and I work weekend evenings so if you have any problems needing cut 'n paste give me a call 831 427-3296

1. Yes, Hoosier DOT radials are considered DOT tires for ITE.
2. Of our 3 tracks (Thunderhill, Sears Point, Laguna), Laguna has the shortest straights - I never touch the rev limit there on my car (6300rpm, 4th gear 1:1, 3.73 rear = 128mph) With 4.10 and 6000rpm you'll top out at 111mph in 4th - sounds kinda low for even a mild motor - so you may tickle the limiter before braking for T2 and/or T5.
3. They'll want 2 straps of metal 1/8 x 1" top to bottom over the rear window.
4. The new cage rules recommend NASCAR bars but do not require them. They DO require 2 door bars on each side - "X" is good.

Enter ITE as your primary class and have fun with the hotrodded street cars in group1 and as a second class GT1 or SP (Super Production - another regional class) in goup3. Both groups get 101db sound - if you have a chambered muffler you'll be OK if the car doesn't rattle or buzz from vibration.

Rules are here: http://scca.com/documents/Club%20Rules/GCR2008.pdf review the cage tube sizes in appendix G. If you are ERW you'll need a SCCA logbook from prior to 2003 to grandfather it. Fire system nozzles in the fuel cell compartment, and it should be completely sealed from the driver compartment, including filler pipe. Any fluid carrying hoses in the drivers compartment need to be metal. SCCA patch for the driver suit, stickers for car. For assistance with SCCA license and race entry, contact:
Customer Service Colleen Worthington
530-934-5588 ext 100
colleen@thunderhill.com

Alan,
Somehow I new I'd have to contact you about my plan. I've seen enough on this forum to realize you are the 'source' when it comes to race car prep in CA! Thank you for taking the time to help.
I can run my engine (almost stock ZZ4) to 6300 too (my limiter is set to 6350) but I try not to go there as my temps and pressures start to get less than optimum when I do. But since I usually do 1-hour races on a very tight track it may not be as much of an issue with higher speeds and less time spent in lower gears accelerating. The cage is ASN Canada FIA legal (1.75" DOM etc.) with a logbook from 2004. The SCCA GCRs say that all Canadian logbooks are accepted (9.2.1. D) and my CACC license is covered (in 4.4.5. F) as far as I can tell.

I have the fuel cell located within the old trunk/fuel tank area (partially cut out) with the top surface of the cell visible under the hatch, and the filler just as supplied (on the top of the cell). I closed in the rest of the removed 'floor' structure with aluminum, and installed a polycarbonate partition between the passenger area and the rear section per the 'alternate materials partition' rule. Will my use of expanding foam filler between the outer skin and the factory inner (speaker box?) structural members be considered adequate to block off the rest of the route for fuel/vapors to get forward? I can send pics if necessary. I have added a second 5 lb. Halon bottle and nozzle just for the fuel cell area. The other 5 lb. bottle has nozzles that point at me, and at the base of the carb.

I've never installed front or rear straps yet. Personally, straps on the outside of safety glass makes no sense to me, as it will simply explode if hit hard enough, but if that's the rule, then I'll attach them to the same bolts that attach the glass at the top, and bolt them to the metal hatch. Do I need the front inner ones if I enter GT1? I can't see them being any help either, as my 6mm windshield seems capable of surviving almost anything but an engine block thrown at it. But I realize rules are rules.

My exhaust (2 1/2 inch) has two simple glass-pack bottles, angled down just forward of the rear bumper, in the space on each side of the cell, with rear exit tailpipes. It seems to be 93-94 db with our noise equipment, so it should pass at Laguna.

The cage has two 1.75" tubes (~ parallel) between front and rear hoops on both door areas per the SCCA. It has two lower forward foot bars on the driver's side too. The front hoop also has extensions into the engine bay, and they attach at the strut towers as allowed by GT rules. Some original pictures during construction are on my (very outdated) website, www.ReEntryRacing.com which might explain what I'm saying.

My car is in the paint shop getting a new scheme, and I'll be able to start re-installing everything in a week or two. I will aim (work schedule permitting) at the May 5-6 Regional at Laguna, and failing that, the Double Regional June 27-29. I think I'm as stoked as an old guy gets about this, as Laguna Seca has always been on my 'Bucket List'. I hope I can meet some of the people on this site when I get down there, and thank you and Randy in person!

Larry Bell

+Quote Post
rmackintosh
post Mar 20 2008, 09:37 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (ReEntryRacer @ Mar 20 2008, 03:34 PM) *
I've never installed front or rear straps yet. Personally, straps on the outside of safety glass makes no sense to me, as it will simply explode if hit hard enough, but if that's the rule, then I'll attach them to the same bolts that attach the glass at the top, and bolt them to the metal hatch. Do I need the front inner ones if I enter GT1? I can't see them being any help either, as my 6mm windshield seems capable of surviving almost anything but an engine block thrown at it. But I realize rules are rules.

Larry Bell

Hey Larry!

I think with stock windows window clips should be sufficient. I will try and look at my book when I get home.

Personally I ran my 4th gen with a stock rear window for 4 years now with NO CLIPS or STRAPS and I was fine. GT-1 may be different.

Randy

This post has been edited by rmackintosh: Mar 20 2008, 09:38 PM

+Quote Post
ReEntryRacer
post Mar 20 2008, 09:54 PM
Post #12

ReEntryRacer

QUOTE (rmackintosh @ Mar 20 2008, 02:37 PM) *

Larry Bell

Hey Larry!

I think with stock windows window clips should be sufficient. I will try and look at my book when I get home.

Personally I ran my 4th gen with a stock rear window for 4 years now with NO CLIPS or STRAPS and I was fine. GT-1 may be different.

Randy

Thanks Randy. I guess i can relax about ITE, as I seem to have the bases covered, but to enter GT1 I bet I'll need the inner strips on my lexan windshield. Its the best time to install them while the car is all apart, so I'll just go get some material and figure something out. Same for the rear too.

+Quote Post
rmackintosh
post Mar 20 2008, 11:31 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (ReEntryRacer @ Mar 20 2008, 04:54 PM) *
QUOTE (rmackintosh @ Mar 20 2008, 02:37 PM) *

Larry Bell

Hey Larry!

Randy

Thanks Randy. I guess i can relax about ITE, as I seem to have the bases covered, but to enter GT1 I bet I'll need the inner strips on my lexan windshield. Its the best time to install them while the car is all apart, so I'll just go get some material and figure something out. Same for the rear too.

I did the front lexan a few years ago and have the inner supports. I can dig up some photos tonight.

As for the rear, I am doing the lexan supports AS WE SPEAK, so no pics yet, but I did a 1" by 1/8" aluminum strap top to bottom INSIDE the window with bolts every 6".

+Quote Post
ReEntryRacer
post Mar 21 2008, 12:34 AM
Post #14

ReEntryRacer

Pictures of your front straps would certainly help, although I have a 3rd gen with a two-piece custom aluminum panel with all GM stuff removed. I do have a new lexan rear hatch 'glass' but have held off on using it due to the weight shift. I already have a tail-happy tendancy from too much weight on the front wheels, and removing about 80 pounds of rear glass will just make it worse. I'm trying to find a way to get more weight off the front, and then I'll do the rear lexan. Your strips on the inside is a good idea, so I'll steal it when I finally get that done!
When you have time, can you send your pics to ReEntryRacing@shaw.ca ? Did I say I appreciate all this help?? (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
rmackintosh
post Mar 21 2008, 02:28 AM
Post #15

Here they are. Not too much detail...but all I have. I got the "T" strap at a local hardware store and pop riveted it in top and bottom. The slotting also holds the window/straps up:

(IMG:http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2133/2348223677_46fabc3abf.jpg)

(IMG:http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2152/2348223433_419047b9b4.jpg)

(IMG:http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2037/2348223269_22f3de4579.jpg)

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Mar 21 2008, 10:47 AM
Post #16

I build race cars

Member No.: 874

QUOTE (ReEntryRacer @ Mar 20 2008, 01:34 PM) *
Alan,

I can run my engine (almost stock ZZ4) to 6300 too (my limiter is set to 6350)

The cage is ASN Canada FIA legal (1.75" DOM etc.) with a logbook from 2004.

Will my use of expanding foam filler between the outer skin and the factory inner (speaker box?) structural members be considered adequate to block off the rest of the route for fuel/vapors to get forward?

I've never installed front or rear straps yet. Personally, straps on the outside of safety glass makes no sense to me,
Do I need the front inner ones if I enter GT1?

My exhaust (2 1/2 inch) has two simple glass-pack bottles, angled down just forward of the rear bumper, in the space on each side of the cell, with rear exit tailpipes. It seems to be 93-94 db with our noise equipment, so it should pass at Laguna.

www.ReEntryRacing.com which might explain what I'm saying.

Larry Bell

Larry - Sounds like you're in good shape for gearing, cage, sound, and fire control.

I think SCCA will be fine with the foam filler if it fills all the gaps - my concern is the flammability of some of that stuff. I'd suggest chipping off a chunk and lighting it off and see what happens - consider whether it adds or subtracts from the function it's to perform.

Car looks nicely prepped, some nice features in the cage. A couple of comments, not problems with SCCA but things I've learned along the way:

Reroute the big +12V cable inboard of the cage tubes - if you get hit at the A/B pillars the insulation could get cut, and cause a short that can't be fixed with the cutoff switch.

The soft foam padding is going out of style - NASA requires the hi density padding anywhere near the head - recommended.

Cover all +12V terminals with insulating boots

Stickers for cutoff switch, fire system, transponder (AMB required down here)

The windshield clips are there to keep a loosely/poorly installed windshield (both glass and Lexan) in place - highly redundant with the OEM seal, but I use RTV to make them easier to get out - seems to be a yearly thing with a well used car. I'm sure SCCA will want the internal braces as spec'ed for Lexan in front. I doubt that OEM rear glass needs the straps - I can give my local regional tech guy a call and ask him.

Definitely replace those rings ;-)

+Quote Post
ReEntryRacer
post Mar 21 2008, 04:40 PM
Post #17

ReEntryRacer

Reroute the big +12V cable inboard of the cage tubes - if you get hit at the A/B pillars the insulation could get cut, and cause a short that can't be fixed with the cutoff switch.

Actually, I've found a way around that problem. I use a 100 amp marine-type fuse right at the battery box (which is now non-conductive). Since the cranking requirement will blow that fuse, I have a relay that activates only when cranking that jumpers the fuse holder, so that during cranking that main line to the master shut off is unprotected, but once the start button is released, it is fuse protected again.

The soft foam padding is going out of style - NASA requires the hi density padding anywhere near the head - recommended.

Yep, ahead of you there too, I have removed all of the old low-density foam, and once the car is being reassembled after the paint job, it will use the new high density strips at required locations.

Cover all +12V terminals with insulating boots

As I said, those pictures are old, and the car has been tweaked for 4 years, so those items were done long ago.

Stickers for cutoff switch, fire system, transponder (AMB required down here)

See above! Although I see the requirement for an AMB sticker has been rescinded.

The windshield clips are there to keep a loosely/poorly installed windshield (both glass and Lexan) in place - highly redundant with the OEM seal, but I use RTV to make them easier to get out - seems to be a yearly thing with a well used car. I'm sure SCCA will want the internal braces as spec'ed for Lexan in front. I doubt that OEM rear glass needs the straps - I can give my local regional tech guy a call and ask him.

I would really rather not put those rear straps on, so it would be great if I could get a ruling of some sort prior to doing so.

Definitely replace those rings ;-)

I really must re-do my website someday. Those pics of the piston/ring failure were from an engine I bought on a handshake that was supposed to be "running fine, just using a bit of oil"! It lasted 2 minutes and that was the result. It didn't even make it past warm-up!

Thanks Again!

+Quote Post
ReEntryRacer
post Jun 3 2008, 06:41 AM
Post #18

ReEntryRacer

Well, an update for Randy and Blaine and those who might have interest. I'm just relaxing after the rush with all the details, details, details of re-assembling the car and its first shakedown, a Double Regional here at Rivers Edge Road Course last Friday - Sunday. I entered both GT1 and GTO (very much like ITE) and I was very happy with the engine's new power, new non-power brakes, altered clutch pedal travel, and all the little changes made to ensure SCCA SFR will not chase me home when I show up down there, as I've booked the motel and faxed the race entry over 3 weeks ago. The car was great right out of the shop, with a few changes to the Koni DAs and tire pressures. Our track has recently seen over $100,000 in changes to the layout, and that was a bargain! What used to be a track for light FWD cars has now become an even-handed one with advantages for both brute power and for light weight. The result was that all drivers were learning a new track and there was every line imaginable being tried! The Closed Wheel 1 Group (GT1 and other similar power/wt cars) were putting on a good show during all the practice and quals, but in the first race the first 5 cars of 30 cleared turn 1 and then there was a spectacular 5-wide shmozzle behind them, and I was caught up in it, sliding with all wheels locked up to within 4 inches of another GT1 car that had come 180 degrees and right across the track to meet me head on at about 60 mph. The two of us were the last to get restarted and underway, with 3 cars DNF'd at that time. All was OK with mine, but second from last position was a crappy start to my season. The pace car took us around for 3 laps while the DNFers were removed, then we got a green. So I turned it up a few notches for less than 2 laps and then the 3-year old Centerforce disc let go into my scattershield and my day was done. Pitiful luck, but the car is otherwise intact and I got enough track time during the Friday practices and the Sat. qualifiers to sort out the car reasonably well. Running 6300 RPM versus 6000 previously and about 40 more HP did the old clutch in. A new one goes in tomorrow, and then I'll prep the car for Laguna. I'm really looking forward to meeting some of you down there. See you on the 27th.
Larry

+Quote Post
rmackintosh
post Jun 3 2008, 03:49 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (ReEntryRacer @ Jun 3 2008, 01:41 AM) *
Well, an update for Randy and Blaine and those who might have interest. I'm just relaxing after the rush with all the details, details, details of re-assembling the car and its first shakedown, a Double Regional here at Rivers Edge Road Course last Friday - Sunday. I entered both GT1 and GTO (very much like ITE) and I was very happy with the engine's new power, new non-power brakes, altered clutch pedal travel, and all the little changes made to ensure SCCA SFR will not chase me home when I show up down there, as I've booked the motel and faxed the race entry over 3 weeks ago. The car was great right out of the shop, with a few changes to the Koni DAs and tire pressures. Our track has recently seen over $100,000 in changes to the layout, and that was a bargain! What used to be a track for light FWD cars has now become an even-handed one with advantages for both brute power and for light weight. The result was that all drivers were learning a new track and there was every line imaginable being tried! The Closed Wheel 1 Group (GT1 and other similar power/wt cars) were putting on a good show during all the practice and quals, but in the first race the first 5 cars of 30 cleared turn 1 and then there was a spectacular 5-wide shmozzle behind them, and I was caught up in it, sliding with all wheels locked up to within 4 inches of another GT1 car that had come 180 degrees and right across the track to meet me head on at about 60 mph. The two of us were the last to get restarted and underway, with 3 cars DNF'd at that time. All was OK with mine, but second from last position was a crappy start to my season. The pace car took us around for 3 laps while the DNFers were removed, then we got a green. So I turned it up a few notches for less than 2 laps and then the 3-year old Centerforce disc let go into my scattershield and my day was done. Pitiful luck, but the car is otherwise intact and I got enough track time during the Friday practices and the Sat. qualifiers to sort out the car reasonably well. Running 6300 RPM versus 6000 previously and about 40 more HP did the old clutch in. A new one goes in tomorrow, and then I'll prep the car for Laguna. I'm really looking forward to meeting some of you down there. See you on the 27th.
Larry

Glad you got the car out there....albeit late.....I KNOW ABOUT THAT! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)

Sounds like we are in similar boats....my QM clutch had "issues" after the pilot bearing backed out of my crank. Did you hit the other GT-1 car? If so, any damage?

Do you have pics of your car?

Hope to see you there!

Randy

+Quote Post
ReEntryRacer
post Jun 3 2008, 07:19 PM
Post #20

ReEntryRacer

Glad you got the car out there....albeit late.....I KNOW ABOUT THAT! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)
Sounds like we are in similar boats....my QM clutch had "issues" after the pilot bearing backed out of my crank. Did you hit the other GT-1 car? If so, any damage?

Do you have pics of your car?

Hope to see you there!

Randy

No damage to my car at all, as I didn't quite hit him. I'm unable to get any pictures to my website right now, and I'd love to post some on here, but can't see how to get them from my computer to this post. My wife was fooling around with our new HD video camera too, and I 'm working on getting a few clips available of our car and track. For now, the avatar shows a rear shot taken this w/e.

This post has been edited by ReEntryRacer: Jun 3 2008, 07:22 PM

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:46 PM