IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Hotpart.comBlaine Fabrication.comUnbalanced EngineeringUMI PerformanceSolo Performance

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kart driving tips?
Absolut Speed
post Mar 11 2005, 05:09 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 7

Our scca region is having a weekend race at one of those nice indoor go-kart tracks. Last year, the club racers beat up on the autocrossers pretty badly.

So what's the secret to being fast in a kart? Short line vs. smoother, wider line; Hit the apex or late apex; hard brake & gas vs smooth transitions etc. I'd rather not have to resort to stock car tactics to keep people behind me. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2000Z-71
post Mar 11 2005, 05:24 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 314

If you're sliding you're slow.

The track and the carts will be different from what I've raced here in Az. I've just found that even the slightest hint of sliding will slow you down. There's nothing to stop you from getting a little practice time in before the event to become familiar with the carts and the track.

We've got a group in the office that makes a trip out to the indoor track every few months. There's 4 of us that are a little overly competetive and tend to make the others look slow. 2 of us have autocross experience, one has open tracked, and the other has quite a bit of dirt track experience. It's a lot of run and there's nothing wrong with "stock car tactics" to keep the others behind or even use them to pass. It's even kinda' fun.

+Quote Post
35th_Anniversary...
post Mar 11 2005, 07:12 AM
Post #3

Chapter 11 Racing

Member No.: 207

2 rules:
1. never lift. foot always to the floor. silly go-karts don't accelerate
2. shortest line is always quickest

depending on surface car may skip across asphalt, but keep your foot planted.

+Quote Post
Mericet
post Mar 11 2005, 03:01 PM
Post #4

Scaring slow F body drivers with a VW diesel

Group: Member
Member No.: 376

QUOTE (35th_Anniversary_AS_Camaro_SS @ Mar 11 2005, 02:12 AM)
2 rules:
1. never lift. foot always to the floor. silly go-karts don't accelerate
2. shortest line is always quickest

depending on surface car may skip across asphalt, but keep your foot planted.

Ditto on #1. Smooth is better and faster too. It really depends on the surface you are running on. On a lot of indoor tracks it tends to be very low grip and the tires stay cold as a result. This means sliding might be unavoidable.

Have fun!! :drive:

+Quote Post
bruecksteve
post Mar 11 2005, 03:33 PM
Post #5

Really Old Corner Carver

Group: Advanced Member
Member No.: 21

Driving karts like those require that you maintain speed. Minimal braking obviously helps.

The shortest line isn't necessairly the fastest way since shorter lines might require more braking or cause you to scrub off more speed in the turns than you would otherwise have to.

I'll send my son Matthew down there to take care of the road race guys for you... (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
bruecksteve
post Mar 11 2005, 03:49 PM
Post #6

Really Old Corner Carver

One more point, driving karts fast requires extremely smooth driving, they are not forgiving to abrupt and jerky driving habits.

And I don't know about your tracks, but here at Andretti Speedlab in Atlanta, you can't keep your foot in them. Transistions must be made smoothly or too much speed will be lost.

+Quote Post
Bald54
post Mar 11 2005, 05:13 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 101

If your're going to be driving an actual racing kart with some power, I'd suggest going to the gym and working out. There's a group of us that run occasionally at the local track. If you run every week or so your body gets used to the beating. I'm usually reduced to an invalid after running about 30 straight laps, with bruises on my hips and aching arms. The last time I ran my son t- boned me in the side so hard it just about knocked me out of the kart. It took me about 2 weeks to recover from that one. I've since come to the conclusion that out of shape 50 year olds should stay out of these things.

+Quote Post
bruecksteve
post Mar 11 2005, 05:31 PM
Post #8

Really Old Corner Carver

They will wear you out.

When I had Matthew at the Red Bull in Boston, I had a chance to talk with Danny Sullivan. He test drove one of the Rotax RM-1's before the kids got in them. He told me that he felt he was still in very good shape (he still drives alot) but he said they flat wore him out.

I know when I drive the karts here, I come back after 8 minutes of running and I'm breathing very hard.

+Quote Post
roy
post Mar 11 2005, 05:31 PM
Post #9

Rennmeister

Member No.: 26

I like rediculous amounts of power oversteer in a cart. . Currently prepping a kart with a Busa motor and front brakes . :drive: BTW that is not me I am just improving on this design.

+Quote Post
bruecksteve
post Mar 11 2005, 05:34 PM
Post #10

Really Old Corner Carver

I've seen that!!!

Huge engine on that thing!!! I don't think oversteer properly describes that kart!!!

+Quote Post
Mericet
post Mar 11 2005, 06:32 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Bald54 @ Mar 11 2005, 12:13 PM)
If your're going to be driving an actual racing kart with some power, I'd suggest going to the gym and working out. There's a group of us that run occasionally at the local track. If you run every week or so your body gets used to the beating. I'm usually reduced to an invalid after running about 30 straight laps, with bruises on my hips and aching arms. The last time I ran my son t- boned me in the side so hard it just about knocked me out of the kart. It took me about 2 weeks to recover from that one. I've since come to the conclusion that out of shape 50 year olds should stay out of these things.

I agree, if there is good power and grip, these things will wear you out. I remember following someone closely on a indoor track around a long lefthand sweep. He spun right in fornt of me. Instead of t-boning him I managed to get my kart sideways before hitting him. The next morning my wife asked me about the strange mark on my hip. It was the bruise left by the seam of my jeans! You could even see the individual stitching!

+Quote Post
Absolut Speed
post Mar 14 2005, 12:08 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7

Ouch.

Qualified 7 out of 10. I got a bit of helpful advice before the race though. I was told that I had a great autocross line, but a poor karting line (old habits die hard I guess). Anyhow, in the early crowded jockeying, my bad practicing line helped me steal an inside corner since I knew how to drive it tight. Then once I got out in the open, I was able to hang on for 4th out of 10 after 20 laps without resorting to blocking or bumping. So I'm not a natural, but I didn't finish last, so I succeeded in accomplishing my goal for the day. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Mericet
post Mar 14 2005, 02:58 AM
Post #13

As long as you had fun in the process too! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:30 AM