IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Blaine Fabrication.comHotpart.comUnbalanced EngineeringUMI PerformanceSolo Performance
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Am considering retirement, Just ranting ....
98_1LE
post Apr 4 2004, 04:05 PM
Post #41

Experienced Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 55

Lets be nice. For the record, I never said anything on the lines of the last page here. The motor was abused, it decided to go boom. The car was real strong when stock, and I assume it was a little loose. 34.5K miles and 60 days of racing later, it broke.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dave B
post Apr 4 2004, 04:11 PM
Post #42

Dave B

Member No.: 169

Mitch, sorry to hear you are having serious second thoughts.

Do you have any "Time trial" type events in Texas?

I know how you feel ( I think). Not enough money for full road race, Autox is just too slow and as Open tracking gets more competitive the costs skyrocket. Here in the Great White North we have a VERY competitive series of Solo 1 events which basically are time trials on race tracks with no fender to fender racing. It's alot like professional type qualifying. The series is really tight and pits cars against other cars of similar performance based on wgt/HP and a fudge factor "handling index". Any modification other than nitrous is allowed so you don't have to worry about bending the rules or building a car to fit a certain classification.

This series is basically "run what you brung" and we get everything from street driven grocery getters to fully prepped and heavily modified full out race cars. The competition is very friendly ( after all, the year end prizes are just not that big) , sanctioned by the Canadian Autosport Club (C.A.S.C.) which is the equivalent of the SCCA. The costs are generally less then 20% of road racing and vehicle damage is very rare. Although I change rotors, pads and tires at the track, my 97 LT1 has never left me stranded and is my daily driver.

From what I hear, Solo 1 in the USA is almost non existant and maybe its time for that to change. It might suit you well.

If you are interested I can forward to you a somewhat long Word document that explains the series to you. It is supposed to be on the www.casc.on.ca website but isn't yet.

+Quote Post
94bird
post Apr 4 2004, 04:25 PM
Post #43

Insert catch phrase here

Member No.: 20

Solo 1 is rare here, but NASA has started a time trials series that takes place during most of their HPDE weekends I believe. I don't think that's directionally correct for Mitch's concern though. He, like many of us, has realized that OT days end up escalating in competitiveness until days at the track can become more work than fun. Actually racing will likely drive up the work load even more, and you can only hope the fun factor goes up even more.

Mitch, between this decision and whether you need a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton truck your life is full of quandries at the moment. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) Then again, if you back off the OT days for awhile you don't need either truck do you? (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Apr 4 2004, 05:42 PM
Post #44

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

QUOTE (94bird @ Apr 4 2004, 11:25 AM)
Mitch, between this decision and whether you need a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton truck your life is full of quandries at the moment. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) Then again, if you back off the OT days for awhile you don't need either truck do you? (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

I think he already bought a truck. 3/4 ton, I think.....

The new question is:

"To tow, or not to tow. That is the question"

(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
mitchntx
post Apr 4 2004, 06:19 PM
Post #45

Nothing says 'I love you.' like a box of Hydroshoks

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4

Chuck, Andrew ... I was just thinking out loud. I wasn't trying to place blame anywhere. Just throwing out possibilities ...

Yes I bought a 3/4 ton ... a 1/2 ton was the same money ...

I don't know what I'm gonna do. The best advice I've seen is to just back off and let it sit for a while. I'm currently knee-deep in hell-month. I am giving room for that as a factor in my decision.

But, to let everyone know ... it has nothing to do with what anyone has said or done. I hold no ill will towards anyone. The cross roads I am at is purely mine and not influenced by anyone but me and my wishes.

+Quote Post
94bird
post Apr 4 2004, 06:52 PM
Post #46

Insert catch phrase here

Member No.: 20

What's hell-month?

+Quote Post
mitchntx
post Apr 4 2004, 08:22 PM
Post #47

I work at a nuke power plant. It's a 2 unit site and each unit goes down for 4-5 weeks every 18 months for refuel and maintenance.

84 hour weeks are not uncommon ...

+Quote Post
rmackintosh
post Apr 4 2004, 11:40 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 27

DEFINATELY stay away from the car during these times....frustration is easy in racing....ESPECIALLY when you already have "other" pressures...

...schedule time away from racing during these periods for sure...

.....just forget it, and go work on Lou's car for relaxation when you can.....bet THAT IS FUN!

(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

+Quote Post
bowtieboy
post Apr 5 2004, 02:28 AM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Member No.: 195

QUOTE (mitchntx @ Apr 4 2004, 02:22 PM)

(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) - I knew you had longer weeks durring that time, but I never gathered that it was that bad.

16 hour days + 7 hours of sleep = no life durring that period......sorry to hear that.

+Quote Post
AllZWay
post Apr 5 2004, 02:56 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 74

Mitch... It is definitely not time to give up on OT events. Just schedule less per year and I guarantee your interest will be there.

It is just killing me to not go when all you guys are going.

I sure hope everyone is still on for the Nov. event??? I am planning now for it. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
tracknut
post Apr 5 2004, 05:51 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 48

I can sympathise with the situation, Mitch, I've been there myself. In my case what I did was continue to attend events, but only as a spectator. It let me enjoy some of the fun that got me into the hobby, with no chance of my car dying on me. After a short break, I was back to wanting to be on the track, not upset with my car, etc.

That, or buy a Radical.

Dave

+Quote Post
Norm Peterson
post Apr 5 2004, 06:08 PM
Post #52

Darksider

Member No.: 49

Mitch

Let me suggest that you perhaps avoid events scheduled immediately before one of your RFO's. Don't let the temporary job pressures that you know are coming affect the fun stuff. Funny thing about certain kinds of stress - one's patience seems to be one of the first victims.

Right now I'm at a temporary job in Scriba, NY, working as contract engineering support for NMP2's RFO9, so I know exactly what you're talking about . . .

Norm

+Quote Post
mitchntx
post Apr 5 2004, 07:09 PM
Post #53

Norm, I work in our QA/QC organization ... specifically Nuclear Network Coordinator. Need OE???? (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

During the outages I am a HP tech. I'm working generators ... we're critical path!!!!! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

+Quote Post
sgarnett
post Apr 5 2004, 08:00 PM
Post #54

Seeking round tuits

Member No.: 33

That ol' Tim Taylor gene gets us in a lot of trouble. The natural progression in a lot of things is to keep getting in deeper and deeper until suddenly it's no fun anymore. The trick is moderation.

+Quote Post
mitchntx
post Apr 6 2004, 12:26 AM
Post #55

Sean ... I agree 100%.

My next event MIGHT be in November ....

+Quote Post
MikeP-99Z
post Apr 6 2004, 05:06 AM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Member No.: 128

..or finish putting the cage in it...

you too Chuck.

Let's see, I race about 6 weekends per year, car went on the track with 270 total miles in 1999. Car has 8300 total miles (only about 1500 on the street). I'm on motor #5, which is about to go boom, so I need to find/rebuild motor #6. Tranny #2, clutch #4, rear end #5, hood #3, bumper covers #2, front fenders #2, calipers/rotors #lots...

Was it worth it? Depends on your perspective...lots of wasted money, lots of good competition, many emotional highs and lows. OT gets old after awhile, time for a new thrill...like three- or four-wide into Turn one at TWS in the rain. It's a whole new focus level.

If ya can't bear to take a chance on wrecking the current vehicle, find a car that you're a little less attached to, that costs a bit less, that wouldn't be a heart breaker if damaged - and go wheel-to-wheel. Plenty of cheap to moderately priced third gen A/S cars out there - toss a bullet-proof 350 in 'em and go AI.

Spec Miatas are fun, but a front running one is far more expensive than you might think.

+Quote Post
231go
post Apr 6 2004, 05:17 AM
Post #57

F-bodyless....

Member No.: 77

QUOTE (MikeP-99Z @ Apr 5 2004, 11:06 PM)
Let's see, I race about 6 weekends per year, car went on the track with 270 total miles in 1999. Car has 8300 total miles (only about 1500 on the street). I'm on motor #5, which is about to go boom, so I need to find/rebuild motor #6. Tranny #2, clutch #4, rear end #5, hood #3, bumper covers #2, front fenders #2, calipers/rotors #lots...

Mental note, do not buy this guys car when he decides to sell.... (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
MikeP-99Z
post Apr 6 2004, 03:33 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Member No.: 128

Road race a car in a showroom stock class long enough, with no bullet-proof parts, and things tend to break. Just part of the game. Having motors built on the "loose" side also tends to accelerate the time in between rebuilds.

+Quote Post
AllZWay
post Apr 6 2004, 03:40 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 74

QUOTE (231go @ Apr 5 2004, 11:17 PM)
QUOTE (MikeP-99Z @ Apr 5 2004, 11:06 PM)
Let's see, I  Car has 8300 total miles 

Mental note, do not buy this guys car when he decides to sell.... (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

But it only has 8300 miles on it. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Some unsuspecting person will buy this car off a used car lot one day thinking they got a great deal. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

+Quote Post
GuySS
post Apr 7 2004, 12:13 PM
Post #60

Member No.: 271

Okay Mitch, I've read this and re-read this "retirement" thing too much. What are you going to do, raise orchids? You going to get a street rod and enter car shows, boring and very political. You want carnage, go T2 with Mike. (He's to blame for all the fun I'm having in a way also. I didn't know what a stock SS could do). You want to play, you pay. Whatever level you go to. So what. You would be in the shop anyway wouldn't you, rebuilding your weedeater or orchid sprayer, or something. Get through hell month at comanche peak or what ever it's called now and fix your broke little motor or go find something you can rub paint with and let's go.
I get to play in the camaro maybe 5 times a year. Am I having a ball, yes. Besides my oldest bud in the world that I travel with, it's folks like you and Chuck and Mike (and just keep adding names) that make this whole car thing coooooollllllll. Do I do it for bragging rights, no. Do I compete, yes in a way; with me, and there is no tougher competitor. Would I step up to CMC, T2, etc, IN A HEARTBEAT, if my family would go for it. So in the meantime I go to the few track events I can and in between I live in the garage repairing or improving the camaro, working on my '40 chev, or rebuilding my orchid sprayer (just kidding here).
Just one last thing, what kind of 3/4 ton did you buy to pull your trailer, and what have you found to put on the trailer that's not white?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 12:52 PM