IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Blaine Fabrication.comHotpart.comUMI PerformanceSolo PerformanceUnbalanced Engineering

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Obama Orders GM/Chrysler Out of NASCAR
2000Z-71
post Apr 1 2009, 06:09 AM
Post #1

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 314

Link:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_li...nascar_car_news

Obama Orders Chevrolet and Dodge Out Of NASCAR - Car News
With their racing budgets deemed “unnecessary expenditures,” GM and Chrysler are ordered to cease racing operations at the end of the season.

BY JARED GALL, ILLUSTRATION BY ERIC WOODWARD
April 2009

In a move sure to spark outrage, the White House announced today that GM and Chrysler must cease participation in NASCAR at the end of the 2009 season if they hope to receive any additional financial aid from the government. Companies around the globe—Honda and Audi, to name two—have drawn down racing operations, and NASCAR itself has already felt the pinch in the form of reduced team spending. A complete withdrawal from America’s premier racing series is expected to save more than $250 million between GM and Chrysler, a substantial amount considering the drastic measures being implemented elsewhere.

“Automakers used to operate on the principle of ‘win on Sunday, sell on Monday,’ but the Auto Task Force’s research just doesn’t validate that as true,” said the statement from President Obama. While fans have decried the Car of Tomorrow for heavily limiting what little personalization the cookie-cutter series had previously allowed to participating manufacturers, and drivers have slammed its brick-like aerodynamics and unpredictable handling, even the governmental oversight committee sees that the full-scale regulation of the cars leaves the manufacturers very little space for research and development. “NASCAR is a racing series that regulates down to the smallest detail of the cars, where a car badged a Chevrolet or Dodge differs only marginally from a Ford or a Toyota. There’s no technological development to speak of.”

The statement goes on further to say the same demand will be made of Ford if it asks for government assistance. “In order to receive this money, corporations must demonstrate they will spend it wisely. Racing has been said to improve on-road technology, but frankly, NASCAR almost flaunts its standing among the lowest-tech forms of motorsport. NASCAR is not proven to drive advancements that transfer from the racetrack to the road, and this nation’s way forward does not hinge on decades-old technology. We need new, and we need innovation.”

The President realizes this will be an unpopular call, but stands behind the decision, saying, “This is an obvious cut to make, but it is not an easy one. This administration is not ignoring the tremendous sentimental value and emotional appeal NASCAR holds for so many Americans. But now is not the time for sentiment and nostalgia; now is a time for decisive financial action. If our automotive industry is to emerge from this recession intact, then these difficult decisions must be made.”

Both Chevrolet and Dodge see the move as only temporary, and fully expect to resume racing in NASCAR as soon as they have stabilized and the government’s hand in their operations is minimized. “There is nothing really to say at this point,” said one representative, who wished to remain anonymous. “We’ve been doing this since the beginning, and we always assumed we’d be doing this until the end. Heck, nobody ever thought to think that there would be an end. But we ain’t done. As soon as this is over, we’re taking back our spot at the top.”

NASCAR officials remain tight-lipped about the call, but sources say series president Mike Helton and team managers are exploring several options, including other manufacturers to fill Chevrolet and Dodge’s vacated positions. Given the company’s recent interest in motorsport and the steady cash-flow and V-8 engine provided by its new Genesis sedan, sources indicate that NASCAR is pinging Hyundai to gauge the Korean company’s interest in occupying a spot in NASCAR. “Toyota was not well-received their first year in the sport, nor was their first season an easy one,” the source says. “But they learned, they applied the lessons, and they have proven very competitive this year.”

If Hyundai does indeed join the series, there will no doubt be a steep learning curve, and the move would leave Ford the lone domestic battling a pair of Asian makes in America’s most popular racing series. We wonder, however, how long NASCAR could hold that title without two of its most storied participants.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mojave
post Apr 1 2009, 06:10 AM
Post #2

I suck at the auto-x :(

Member No.: 727

I'm not sure if this is true, but today is April 1st...

+Quote Post
rmackintosh
post Apr 1 2009, 06:50 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 27

Too bad it is not true.....if it was it would be reason enough for Obama to have won the election!
(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif)

+Quote Post
sgarnett
post Apr 1 2009, 11:52 AM
Post #4

Seeking round tuits

Member No.: 33

I don't know if it is a joke or not, but every other article I can find is linking back to the C&D article.

It may be plausible, given the current situation. Maybe Obama figures the Democratic party will never need another vote from the Southeast, though I'm not sure how well he did among NASCAR fans anyway.

Nevertheless, I'd think there would be some independent corroboration if this was real.

+Quote Post
mitchntx
post Apr 1 2009, 11:57 AM
Post #5

Nothing says 'I love you.' like a box of Hydroshoks

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (2000Z-71 @ Apr 1 2009, 01:09 AM) *
NASCAR is pinging Hyundai to gauge the Korean company’s interest in occupying a spot in NASCAR.

QUOTE (Mojave @ Apr 1 2009, 01:10 AM) *

I'm with you ... I don't see it.

Politicians are all about winning next year's election.

+Quote Post
AllZWay
post Apr 1 2009, 01:20 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 74

QUOTE (mitchntx @ Apr 1 2009, 05:57 AM) *
QUOTE (2000Z-71 @ Apr 1 2009, 01:09 AM) *
NASCAR is pinging Hyundai to gauge the Korean company’s interest in occupying a spot in NASCAR.

QUOTE (Mojave @ Apr 1 2009, 01:10 AM) *

I'm with you ... I don't see it.

Politicians are all about winning next year's election.

Ford just might end being the largest and strongest car company in America.

Hopefully this is an Aprils Fool joke.

+Quote Post
sgarnett
post Apr 1 2009, 01:29 PM
Post #7

Seeking round tuits

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (AllZWay @ Apr 1 2009, 09:20 AM) *

I don't think there's any "might" to it.

+Quote Post
AllZWay
post Apr 1 2009, 02:03 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (sgarnett @ Apr 1 2009, 08:29 AM) *
QUOTE (AllZWay @ Apr 1 2009, 09:20 AM) *

I don't think there's any "might" to it.

True... Should have said only American car company that survives.

+Quote Post
bubba353z
post Apr 1 2009, 04:11 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 410

It's a joke - check the link again. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
roy
post Apr 1 2009, 05:30 PM
Post #10

Rennmeister

Member No.: 26

www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/motorsports/april_fools_obama_orders_chevrolet_and_dodge_out_of_nascar_car_news

Yep Aprils fools.

+Quote Post
2000Z-71
post Apr 1 2009, 05:32 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (bubba353z @ Apr 1 2009, 11:11 AM) *
It's a joke - check the link again. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Yes but it is fun to post and see the reactions. The sad commentary is that based on Obama's recent actions and opinions of him, some people actually believed it.

Logically why would Obama want to limit participation in an activity where everyone takes a turn to the left. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
AllZWay
post Apr 1 2009, 06:15 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Oooopps...The Apology.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_li.../sorry_car_news

+Quote Post
roy
post Apr 1 2009, 06:30 PM
Post #13

Rennmeister

Member No.: 26

Any other day I would of believed it.

+Quote Post
KeithO
post Apr 1 2009, 06:34 PM
Post #14

Veteran Member

Member No.: 14

QUOTE (roy @ Apr 1 2009, 12:30 PM) *
Any other day I would of believed it.

x2

+Quote Post
2000Z-71
post Apr 1 2009, 08:38 PM
Post #15

This has become absolutely hilarious. The story ran last night as originally posted here. Sometime this morning, Car and Driver added bold words in the introduction that it was an April Fool's joke. This afternoon, the story was removed from their website with an apology.

Now the apology has been removed and replaced with an explanation of the joke and a boast of the coverage that they have received.

Funny on so many levels. First the original story was funny. Then given Obama's recent actions and people's opinions of him, a lot of people weren't sure if it was a joke or not. Now it's hilarious to see how a bogus "news story" can be posted and picked up by so many sources and spread around the net.

Current text of website below:

April Fools' - Car News

April 2009

Car and Driver has a proud tradition of irreverent editorial and we amplify that each year with our April Fools’ Day joke. Check out coverage of this year's prank:

Huffington Post

Autoblog

Jalopnik

Drudge Report

Orlando Sentinel

Wall Street Journal

Associated Content

+Quote Post
1meanZ
post Apr 6 2009, 04:36 PM
Post #16

Mullet club chairman

Member No.: 1,135

i wish it was true. NASCAR sucks in it's current form. They need to go back to racing real cars again. I want to see the new G8 and the Charger pound on the Camry and Fusion. Talk about clubbing baby seals....

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Apr 6 2009, 06:05 PM
Post #17

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

I think NASCAR has sucked in any form after the old "Grand National" days. I find some of the old races interesting. You know, back when they built race cars out of production chassis cars and not just a floor pan? The kind of racing that caused things like the Monte Carlo Aeroback. They had to sell so many as street cars to make them legal, so, they did.

I have no love for the current crop of cars or the family that runs the nut house. On the other hand, I can't seem to enjoy watching much of any kind of racing (I did like WRC, so they killed it for more NASCAR).

Just my opinion, others may not agree.

+Quote Post
mitchntx
post Apr 7 2009, 12:35 AM
Post #18

Nothing says 'I love you.' like a box of Hydroshoks

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4

Anyone else see Gordon's cell phone call dropped in victory lane?

How ironic that Sprint laid off 1/4 off the field techs 2 weeks prior.

+Quote Post
00 Trans Ram
post Apr 7 2009, 02:42 PM
Post #19

Experienced Member

Member No.: 303

I was listening to "Blue Collar Radio" (XM/Sirius) the other day and they were talking about what could be done to help NASCAR. Some guy called in with the "novel idea" of going back to using stock-ish cars (factory cars) to race. Then, they started running with it and talking about introducing road courses, having regional competitions to encourage attendance, and even spreading it to other countries. On guy went so far as to say that the NASCAR drivers would probably have to have handicapped cars to give drivers from elsewhere in the world a chance.

I had to call in to tell them that this was all already in place. It's called "sports car racing" here in the US and "touring car racing" elsewhere. Kind of took the wind out of everyone's sails when they realized that it's already being done.

I responded to the guy who made the "drivers - handicap" comment by saying that, while I'm sure a few NASCAR drivers could handle sports/touring cars on a road course, most of them would have a hard time adjusting, and the world has some really good drivers that most Americans have never heard of.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 09:16 AM