IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
UMI PerformanceSolo PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.comHotpart.comUnbalanced Engineering
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I think my trailer has been stolen, ...any lawyers in the house?
KeithO
post Oct 17 2006, 11:53 PM
Post #1

Veteran Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 14

I paid a local marina a fee to allow me to park my race car trailer where they also rent spaces for people to keep their boat trailers. On the way home from work, I dropped by to get some parts out of my storage box and the trailer was gone.

No one with any authority was there so I left my name and number and plan to follow up with a phone call tomorrow morning.

Just how SOL am I? I am assuming that the people that rented me the spot will wash their hands of this.

This will break the bank. I can't cover this, a HANS, a helmut, a new seat plus all of the normal offseason stuff. People suck.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
slowTA
post Oct 18 2006, 12:06 AM
Post #2

Experienced Member

Member No.: 331

QUOTE (KeithO @ Oct 17 2006, 07:53 PM) *
People suck.

I couldn't agree more! Lets hope they just had to move it behind a really big boat and you couldn't see it. I guess they could have 'borrowed' it for some reason.

+Quote Post
CMC #37
post Oct 18 2006, 02:43 AM
Post #3

CMCer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 194

OMG! I'd ask for their insurance card and call mine. Let them work it out, hope it turns out right for ya. Thieves definitely suck.

+Quote Post
prockbp
post Oct 18 2006, 02:50 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

yah.. that sucks.. you're prolly SOL.. we had a couple trailers stolen back when i was a landscaper and there's really nothing you can do

trailers are high theft items because it's so easy to get new license plates for them..

but who knows.. maybe the storage company has some kick ass insurance..

+Quote Post
John_D.
post Oct 18 2006, 03:04 AM
Post #5

Engine and Tools Moderator

Member No.: 6

If you paid them, and there was nothing in writing, they probably have some responsibility. If you signed a waiver, they may have no responsibility.

+Quote Post
JKnight
post Oct 18 2006, 04:16 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 141

No legal advice Keith, although my mom is an attorney (former contract attorney, although retired and with lapsed BAR membership), and may be willing to look over any docs that you signed. You may be better off in that respect talking to a standing member in your state.

We left the Camaro in the trailer with all the track gear on Sunday night, looking to unload on Monday. I worried the entire time, despite having retired neighbors that would notice someone cutting the lock and stealing our rig.

Whenever I hear of stolen race trailers, with or without cars inside, it tears me up. I'm glad to hear that, if it is gone, that the car wasn't part of the take.

Good luck.

Jason

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Oct 18 2006, 09:26 AM
Post #7

I build race cars

Member No.: 874

I had my trailer in a storage yard for a while and the contract pretty much absolved the yard of any responsibility whatsoever. The good news is that insurance on the thing ($100 ded comp, $250 ded liability) is like $12/year.

+Quote Post
KeithO
post Oct 18 2006, 10:54 AM
Post #8

Veteran Member

Just to clarify -

This marina is a business that includes dock spaces, land-based spaces, a garage (for boats), a big restaurant/bar right on the water. The spaces that they rent are the grassy area where the bar overflow parking ends up. There is no limit to access to this area. I had a lock on the hitch-ball latch and that was all I had for security. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/banghead.gif)

I signed a lil paper about the size of a dollar bill which was simply a receipt for paying a 6-month fee to park my trailer there; I also have the cancelled check. If I signed I waiver of responsibility, I don't remember doing it though I tend to "switch off" and sign those things without thought any more. I figure I'll start with the rental place, once they disappoint me then I'll call my insurance company (homeowners?) then after that just be depressed for a while once I find that I am screwed. That is my prediction on how things will go.

I did not have specific insurance for the trailer.

Let's see what happens today.

+Quote Post
pknowles
post Oct 18 2006, 12:19 PM
Post #9

Experienced Member

Member No.: 193

I'm sorry to here about this Keith, this really sucks.
QUOTE (KeithO @ Oct 18 2006, 06:54 AM) *
I had a lock on the hitch-ball latch and that was all I had for security. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/banghead.gif)

Other then a wheel lock, which I don't think is any better then a hitch-ball latch, how is anyone to secure an open car trailer?

+Quote Post
Ojustracing
post Oct 18 2006, 12:24 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 66

Keith was the car in the trailer? Or just a bunch of race acc.
sorry to hear about this.

John

+Quote Post
mitchntx
post Oct 18 2006, 01:15 PM
Post #11

Nothing says 'I love you.' like a box of Hydroshoks

Member No.: 4

I hate this for you, Keith. Damn the luck.

While the trailer itself might not be covered, it's very possible the contents are under you home owners policy.

+Quote Post
AllZWay
post Oct 18 2006, 01:52 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 74

That definitely sucks... Good luck on the outcome.

+Quote Post
firehawkclone
post Oct 18 2006, 02:09 PM
Post #13

Grumpy

Member No.: 81

This just sucks Keith! I would call the police right now! And get on all of the local boards you can find, so poeple will be on the look out!

+Quote Post
00 Trans Ram
post Oct 18 2006, 02:23 PM
Post #14

Experienced Member

Member No.: 303

Don't write off the rental company so fast. You'd be surprised just how much liability they can be at, regardless of if you signed a waiver. For instance, you ever been to one of those pools that says, "Swim at own risk"? Did you know that if something happens that they can still be liable?

My point is that you need to fight like hell to have the rental company pay for everything. You signed a rental agreement with them. The trailer was on their property. That makes it their responsibility (to a point). Go up the chain of command at the company until you get someone to give you what you want. If you get to the CEO, and still don't get it, tell them you'll have your attorney call them. Then, see about getting an attorney. It could be too expensive, but maybe not. Oftimes they will work on a contingency basis, where they get some percentage of the winnings. That means you won't get all your money back, but you may not have to pay, either.

One thing you should do now is get proof of the stuff in your trailer. Receipts are golden. Credit card statements are pretty good. Photos of the trailer are platinum. Think about any pictures that may have the trailer in the background. If you bought something (your seat, for instance) with cash, and have no way of proving it was in the trailer, it'll be tough to get reimbursed for it. Also, sworn statements from people who saw what was in the trailer can help (wife, fellow racer, etc.).

Also, call the company that sold you the hitch lock. They may have a policy that reimburses you if the trailer is stolen.

+Quote Post
KeithO
post Oct 18 2006, 02:51 PM
Post #15

Veteran Member

Just to clarify - my whining about HANS, helmet, seat was because I have to buy them this off-season - none of these were in the trailer. What was in the trailer was rotors, pads (one set was brand new), belts, hubs, rad hoses, bleeders, bushings, oil, tie downs, etc. I can't produce credible receipts for these things.

The car was NOT on the trailer. The car is sitting on jackstands in my garage waiting for me to install my new springs and a post-season fluid change....

It seems that the rental place isn't moving fast. I am trying to get them to call the police but the "General Manager" is out and they are trying to contact her. We'll see.

I think I'm SOL but I am going to keep trying. I won't give up until it's a dead issue. That's just the way I am.

This post has been edited by KeithO: Oct 18 2006, 02:51 PM

+Quote Post
KeithO
post Oct 18 2006, 03:18 PM
Post #16

Veteran Member

Update:

As it turns out:
There were some guys fooling around with the trailer trying to steal it and the marina staff got suspicious. They went and talked to these guys and correctly concluded that they were not the owners of the trailer. They ran them off and noticed that they just parked down the street waiting. So, instead of risking the trailer being stolen when they left for the day, they actually forklifted it to another lot at another location.

I am extremely pleased that the trailer wasn't really stolen and genuinely impressed with the lengths that these people took to protect my property.

Maybe people don't suck after all.

This post has been edited by KeithO: Oct 18 2006, 03:18 PM

+Quote Post
CMC #37
post Oct 18 2006, 03:29 PM
Post #17

CMCer

Member No.: 194

Wow! Totally unexpected happy ending! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Ojustracing
post Oct 18 2006, 03:36 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 66

Holy CRAP!!!!! I too never thought it would come out with this ending. Now sit back and have a beer.... or a couple..(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

John

+Quote Post
AndyJ
post Oct 18 2006, 03:45 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 791

Keith,

Go buy a lottery ticket. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) while you are hot!

+Quote Post
rmackintosh
post Oct 18 2006, 03:51 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 27

QUOTE (KeithO @ Oct 18 2006, 10:18 AM) *
Update:

As it turns out:
There were some guys fooling around with the trailer trying to steal it and the marina staff got suspicious. They went and talked to these guys and correctly concluded that they were not the owners of the trailer. They ran them off and noticed that they just parked down the street waiting. So, instead of risking the trailer being stolen when they left for the day, they actually forklifted it to another lot at another location.

I am extremely pleased that the trailer wasn't really stolen and genuinely impressed with the lengths that these people took to protect my property.

Maybe people don't suck after all.

Fuckin' A! THAT is cool! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 04:01 AM