Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need 4L60e Parts!
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > Classifieds
StanIROCZ
I'm hoping someone has a 4L60e torn apart and sitting in a box in the corner of their garage somewhere.... Or maybe you know someone that does?

I need a couple parts:

40 tooth tone ring - It's pressed onto the outpshaft of the trans. Probably pretty tough to get off, so if you want to send me the whole shaft that's cool.

Vehicle Speed Sensor - It's located in the passenger side of the tail housing.

These parts can be found in 1993 and newer 2wd trucks and 1994 and newer rear drive cars.

This is a long shot but I'm also looking for a DRAC (digital ratio adapter controller) from a 89-94 S10, Astro Vans, and 90-95 full-size trucks. The VSS is wired into this and it conditions and applies a ratio to the signal that goes to the speedo and ECM.

Thanks, Stan
trackbird
I have one of the speedo calibration boxes you are looking for. I forget who's, but it's one. I used to have one that just had a knob on the side (a small pot you adjusted with a set screw), but it's long gone. The current car has one that uses dip switches to set the ratio. It's currently in the car, but it may not be there much longer. Let me see what my plans are and I'll put you at the top of the list for it.
Racerdad916
Stan,
I can call my dad tomorrow and see what he has at the shop. I know he had a few 4L80E cores in March when I was up there to put my Muncie together. I'll PM you tomorrow night...

Billy
StanIROCZ
Thanks guys, let me know what you find out.
StanIROCZ
I've visted a salvage yard the past couple days at lunch and was able to salvage a DRAC and a 3rd gen non-electric hatch latch, and another eletrical connector that I needed. I'm still looking for the VSS, connector, and ring.

Curiously there was 2 TPI f-bods with what looks like complete or near complete harnesses. Those go for around $150 on ebay last I checked. I'm going to see what the yard will sell them to me for.

I also saw a 60's Mustang that I'm going to check out more closely next time. Forget about making it a gem, if nothing else that'd make a cool AIX car (I'm thinking of the green one that I saw at Nationals). All you need is the stock floor, firewall, and front towers too be legal. Maybe I'll take some pics next time.
Racerdad916
Dad couldn't find a tone ring in the shop. He was going to look in the building where the cores are and let me know. He thought he could get it through Transtar (our trans parts supplier). I will let you know when I hear from him. Are you using a 4l80e in something?
StanIROCZ
QUOTE (Racerdad916 @ Apr 25 2008, 11:35 PM) *
Dad couldn't find a tone ring in the shop. He was going to look in the building where the cores are and let me know. He thought he could get it through Transtar (our trans parts supplier). I will let you know when I hear from him. Are you using a 4l80e in something?
Thanks for the effort. I'm putting in a Jerico 4 speed and it doesn't have any such speedo device. I was planning to not run a speedo at all, but I'm finding out that I'm going to have big problems with the ECM without it.

The easiest way I'm finding to rig up a VSS is to use the 40 tooth tone ring with the 15547452 sensor that I mentioned above. I've looked at adding a tone ring to the ring gear in the axle or a wheel speed sensor like the 4 channel abs on 4th gens but the speed is too slow. Also looked at adding a tone ring to the pinion flange. I think the best way is going to be to add the 40 tooth ring to the trans output shaft, so thats what I'm planning to do.
Racerdad916
My 89 has a speed sensor that screws into speedo cable near the trans (ex T-5 car), and it's a 2 wire. It uses normal speedo gears in the trans and uses the adapter for the ECM (that I don't use anymore). You are welcome to that if it will work. Is the output shaft on your Jerico small (TH350/T-5) or big (TH400/M22)?
StanIROCZ
QUOTE (Racerdad916 @ Apr 26 2008, 08:07 AM) *
My 89 has a speed sensor that screws into speedo cable near the trans (ex T-5 car), and it's a 2 wire. It uses normal speedo gears in the trans and uses the adapter for the ECM (that I don't use anymore). You are welcome to that if it will work. Is the output shaft on your Jerico small (TH350/T-5) or big (TH400/M22)?

The Jerico has the big shaft, 32 tooth.

Thats kinda the thing, the jerico don't have any speedo sensor provision AT ALL. Even the camaros with electric speedos have a gear driven sensor on the trans. Adapting speedo gears to the Jerico would be a hug PIA to get right but adding just the 40 tooth ring with a sensor shouldn't be too bad (fingers crossed). I have a lathe and a huge press at work so hopefully thats all I need.

This is the 2 sources of info that I'm using:
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/V8-chapters/V8-...eed-Sensors.pdf (I own this book, it has a lot of god info)
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/diy-prom...rico-trans.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.