Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hellwig adjustable rear sway bar order thread
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > Advertiser Sales & Group Purchases
trackbird
Guys, I'm getting setup as a dealer with Hellwig products. As usual, I like to try to save the racers money and I like working with companies who make stuff we need. Hellwig has been willing to listen to us, ask our opinions and they are even looking into making this bar available for us without the end links for those who want it that way. I do not have price sheets, but if you tell me what you want (and their part number so there is no confusion) and I'll get prices.

Edit:

And, you can order them through me. I spoke with Dave about pricing and I can do them for $229 + freight (retail is $259 + freight). This is the price for the kit with end links. We still have to see if it will be practical to do the kit without end links, so I don't have a price on that setup yet.

Lets give this until May 30th and we'll get ready to order. PM me for paypal info or to mail a money order.

So far I have Tommy 55 down for one bar without end links. How many of these might we need total (how many other bars and I know Mitch was looking for stuff for his tow rig)?

Prices for Mitch on 7676 and 7677.
soultron
QUOTE (trackbird @ May 12 2008, 04:13 PM) *
Guys, I'm getting setup as a dealer with Hellwig products. As usual, I like to try to save the racers money and I like working with companies who make stuff we need. Hellwig has been willing to listen to us, ask our opinions and they are even looking into making this bar available for us without the end links for those who want it that way. I do not have price sheets, but if you tell me what you want (and their part number so there is no confusion) and I'll get prices.

So far I have Tommy 55 down for one bar without end links. How many of these might we need total (how many other bars and I know Mitch was looking for stuff for his tow rig)?

Prices for Mitch on 7676 and 7677.

I'm waiting for a price, but I'm interested as well. 2thumbs.gif
trackbird
$229+ freight for the bar with end links.
sgarnett
I'll take one.

If there's ever a run of 1" bars, I'll probably take one of those too, but without the endlinks. One of these days/months/years, I'll get around to lowering the PHR a little more.

Ya know the classic big game hunters's trophy room, like Teddy Roosevelt or Ernest Hemingway might have had? I'm thinking about adding a swaybar wing to the garage ....
JKnight
Put me down for one.

Jason
marka
Howdy,

What size is this bar again? How do the adjustment holes compare to stock 19mm bar stiffness?

Mark
trackbird
QUOTE (marka @ May 21 2008, 03:00 PM) *
Howdy,

What size is this bar again? How do the adjustment holes compare to stock 19mm bar stiffness?

Mark

It's a 22mm bar. I do not have the numbers (I can see if Dave does), but we pulled a stock 19mm with poly bushings off of my car and installed this on the softest setting and then ran in the rain and the car was quite stable (I was expecting a tail happy nightmare). I expected it to be too much bar, but my experience was that it wasn't a problem. So, I'd think you would be ok swapping one in place of a 19mm and using the softest settings. I do think it will be a bit stiffer, but I don't think it's a "ton" stiffer in actual use.
sgarnett
My bar stiffness estimates ....
killer_bluebird
QUOTE (sgarnett @ May 22 2008, 08:34 AM) *

Am I reading this right. This 22mm bar in the softer setting is comparable to a 20mm and on the stiffest to a 24mm? (more or less)

By the way send me the info Kevin I'm in. shipping will be to 44070.
trackbird
QUOTE (killer_bluebird @ May 28 2008, 11:31 PM) *

Am I reading this right. This 22mm bar in the softer setting is comparable to a 20mm and on the stiffest to a 24mm? (more or less)

PM sent.

Jason and Sean, I put your orders in today. Figured I'd get those two on the way.
killer_bluebird
QUOTE (trackbird @ May 30 2008, 11:05 AM) *
QUOTE (killer_bluebird @ May 28 2008, 11:31 PM) *

PM sent.

Jason and Sean, I put your orders in today. Figured I'd get those two on the way.

PM Replied thx bud!
trackbird
Thanks Alexander!

Tommy, I didn't forget you, we are still working on a "no endlink" kit (the idea isn't dead like I thought) and I hope to have more info soon.
killer_bluebird
Any estimates on how long before these are ready to ship?
JKnight

I got mine a couple of days ago, so I'd imagine they are shipable now. Or do you mean the no endlink ones?

But I ain't got no car right now to attach it to....

Jason
killer_bluebird
QUOTE (JKnight @ Jun 6 2008, 06:34 PM) *

I got mine a couple of days ago, so I'd imagine they are shipable now. Or do you mean the no endlink ones?

But I ain't got no car right now to attach it to....

Jason

I guess since it is coming from CA it takes a bit less to get to you. So I might get a box in a few days (I hope). I got the regular one.
killer_bluebird
Update: Got mine and I installed it yesterday. Very nice piece. Good instructions. I'll be testing it Saturday! Thanks Kevin!
trackbird
QUOTE (killer_bluebird @ Jun 12 2008, 03:39 AM) *
Update: Got mine and I installed it yesterday. Very nice piece. Good instructions. I'll be testing it Saturday! Thanks Kevin!

Excellent. Sorry, but somehow I missed your last post (about wondering where it was?). Didn't mean to not answer, I just didn't see it for some reason.
JimMueller
Looking for an adjustable rear bar with heim joint end links to use with my current PHB lowered 4" OR for future use with the watts link Sam is selling. I would like it to be adjustable to mimic a 21-25mm solid bar range. Do the Hellwig bars offer this?
trackbird
QUOTE (JimMueller @ Oct 4 2008, 11:16 AM) *
Looking for an adjustable rear bar with heim joint end links to use with my current PHB lowered 4" OR for future use with the watts link Sam is selling. I would like it to be adjustable to mimic a 21-25mm solid bar range. Do the Hellwig bars offer this?

From here:

http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?sho...mp;#entry125364

Sean's calculations are as follows:

QUOTE (sgarnett @ May 22 2008, 10:27 AM) *
The adjustment hole center-to-center spacing looks like 2xdiameter. What is the bolt size? It looks like about 3/8". [nope, it's 7/16" on 1" centers - see Dave's post #66 below]

Ignoring bending in the arm, stiffness is proportional to D^4 (D=bar diameter), or (Dod^4 - Did^4) for a hollow bar. It's also inversely proportional to the square of the arm radius, so changing the radius changes the stiffness by a factor of (R1/R2)^2.

Assuming the arm radius from the centerline is close to 8.5" for the center hole (R1), like a stock bar, the inner (rear) hole changes the stiffness by ~1.28x and the outer (front) hole changes the stiffness by 0.8x.

The relative stiffness of a bunch of bars is as follows. This is only the D^4 term, so the actual rate is proportional to these numbers. Since some bars may be identified in metric dimensions but made from inch-dimensioned stock or vice-versa, there may some minor discrepancies. I assumed 4mm wall thickness for hollow rear bars.

456976 - 26mm solid
416231 - 1" (aka 25mm) solid
331776 - 24 solid
324568 - 1" hollow
279841 - 23 solid
243987 - 7/8" (aka 22mm) solid
194481 - 21mm solid

For the 7/8" bar:
312303 - inner/rear hole
195190 - outer/front hole

As Dave said, those are in the ballpark of the 23mm [actually a little closer to 24mm] and 21mm solid bars, respectively.

For the 1" bar":
532776 - inner/rear hole
332985 - outer/front hole

I'm using the Hotchkis rear bar now, so an adjustable 15/16" (24mm) bar would be perfect smile.gif smile.gif wink.gif

Homebrew adjustable links to get rid of the poly will stiffen those numbers a little. The stock-style links with poly bushings that most of us use will soften those numbers a little. So will the Hellwig-supplied adjustable links with poly bushings, but I don't know how the two compare.

And here:

http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?showtopic=12168

We're trying to find enough buyers to have a batch of larger rear adjustable bars done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.