Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 98 camaro w/5 speed
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > General Discussion
rsmith350
Anyone know what type of 5 speed came in V6 camaro?
Mojave
T-5.
rsmith350
Anyone else have confirmation on this? About to buy it. In the market for a T-5 WC
John_D.
According to this v6 site, the T5 is used with the L36 (3.8) engine from 1996 forward.

http://tech.firebirdv6.com/general.html
rsmith350
Thanks guys, great info!
rsmith350
Well......if anyone is curious......It is a t-5 WC but it won't bolt up to a V8 bell housing! dry.gif
Mojave
QUOTE (rsmith350 @ May 27 2008, 05:53 PM) *
Well......if anyone is curious......It is a t-5 WC but it won't bolt up to a V8 bell housing! dry.gif

Hmm, I think I could have told you that while it is a T-5, it's not the same as a V8 3rd gen T-5.
nape

The bolt pattern is different on the trans case? I've used 3rd gen V6 WC T5s before in a pinch. You just need a V6 clutch disc (1" diameter x 14 spline input shaft on the V6 trans) and use the rest of your V8 parts.

It wouldn't be a good drag race setup, but for road racing, it isn't half bad. The V6 trans has a low first gear, but who uses 1st anyway? The biggest benefit is a stock .76 5th gear.

Who knows what the torque rating is though...
rsmith350

Yeah.....I had no idea. Should have provided more information for application and intent. oh well.....the search continues. ph34r.gif
sgarnett
I liked the T5 in my 1996 3.8 better than the T56 in my 2001 Z28. I know the 3.8 bellhousing won't work, but I thought they would bolt to an LT1 bellhousing. Maybe not. I'd bet against it fitting an LS1 bellhousing.

Is the 3.8 T-5 really a "World Class" version? Per the Summit Racing catalog, even the Ford Racing Super Duty World Class is only rated to 330 lb-ft, which is marginal for a stock LS1, and probably marginal for an LT1 with headers and a tune. A regular T-5 is only rated for 300.
nape
QUOTE (sgarnett @ May 28 2008, 06:59 AM) *
I liked the T5 in my 1996 3.8 better than the T56 in my 2001 Z28. I know the 3.8 bellhousing won't work, but I thought they would bolt to an LT1 bellhousing. Maybe not. I'd bet against it fitting an LS1 bellhousing.

Is the 3.8 T-5 really a "World Class" version? Per the Summit Racing catalog, even the Ford Racing Super Duty World Class is only rated to 330 lb-ft, which is marginal for a stock LS1, and probably marginal for an LT1 with headers and a tune. A regular T-5 is only rated for 300.

World Class really just denotes roller bearings vs. bronze bushings (non-WC). Everything has been WC since... 1987 or 1988, IIRC. The other part of the torque rating is based on the gear ratio.

rsmith350: Can you snap a pic of the bolt pattern on the 3.8 T5 trans? I'm interested to see what's different.
rsmith350
Well the reason i was asking was a guy had one for sale. So armed with the information you guys provided I never purchased it. Sorry.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.