Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Test drove a Solstice GXP
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > General Discussion
98_1LE
I fired up the Trans Am for the first time in weeks and drove to Freeman Pontiac (where I bought the red car). I parked it literally feet from where she sat the first time I laid eyes on it.

Anyway, I usually don't want a salesman to bug me, cause I hate them. After a long wait they finally called a blood sucker over from used cars to help me. He turned out to be pretty cool.

On to the car. They had no manual transmission cars in stock, so I drove a yellow GXP instead of a red base model. I fit in it extremely well, and it felt good. The interior is alright, and I like the pop out cup holders, but can see them breaking in time.

Steering was a little more numb than I was hoping for, but not bad. I did take one left hand turn under power with minimal slip angle. I was shocked at how quickly and controllably the rear came around. At idle the car was louder then expected. I didn't notice it driving the car, but walking around it idling it seemed definitely louder than the green car.

It was quick, but I think the green car would take it from a stop light. The 100k mile warranty is comforting and incentive not to mod the car. It looks like 17x9 wheels would fit fine and clear the brakes. I think it would kick butt with 17's in place of the 18's, and shod the wheels with 275/40/17 Nitto 555RII's. Cheap and sticky; good stuff. I wonder if F-body wheels are interchangeable???

The trunk is worse than the reports. It basically does not have one; seriously. The car is very sharp to my eye. The sales weenie verified the 0% financing is available. The boost gauge is digital; I would prefer analog. The other gauges are analog and are nice looking.

What do these things run in the 1/4 mile, both manual and autotragic?
mitchntx
Chuck are you trading the red car?
98_1LE
No sir. Might sell the green car outright, but chances are I will keep what I have (window shopping).
poSSum
We have an '07 NA Solstice ZOK. My wife and I are autocrossing it this year. The car is a hoot!! -2.5 front camber and -1.5 rear and the factory adjustments aren't maxed out. There's actually a lot of room in it ... you just need to find it and use it right. We packed everything we needed, including helmets, such that we could still put the roof down, for a 13 day trip from Winnipeg to Houston for their Regional AutoX and Rookie Skool.
00 Trans Ram
To date - that is the only car that I have ever driven off a dealer lot (test drive) that didn't push like a snow plow. I took a "spirited" u-turn and the rear actually stepped out a bit without trottle inducement. The clutch would take getting used to - I stalled it 3 times and chirped the tires the rest of the time.

I'd rather have 1 GXP/Redline than 5 Miatas.
CrashTestDummy
QUOTE (poSSum @ Jun 24 2008, 11:03 PM) *
We have an '07 NA Solstice ZOK. My wife and I are autocrossing it this year. The car is a hoot!! -2.5 front camber and -1.5 rear and the factory adjustments aren't maxed out. There's actually a lot of room in it ... you just need to find it and use it right. We packed everything we needed, including helmets, such that we could still put the roof down, for a 13 day trip from Winnipeg to Houston for their Regional AutoX and Rookie Skool.

I was reading this and thought "sounds like the Canadians who came down to our skool." Wow. Sorry I missed you, Art. Your wife rode with my wife in the Firebird on Sunday. We were amazed you drove the car down with your gear and all from Canada, and didn't trailer the car.

I'd check out the Solstice forum for mods and performance info:

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/cmps_index.php

But C&D shows a test at 14.2 in the quarter.

There's already a guy campaigning one in ASP (where the car goes): http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f48/asp-gxp-build-44722/

I've been thinking about a Sky Redline auto for a DD, but keep looking at a C6.
CJ-TA
I've never really come to grips with the front end of the solstice... I love everything about the rest of the car...

Sky Redline... basically the same car.. *drool*
poSSum
QUOTE (CrashTestDummy @ Jun 25 2008, 01:32 PM) *
I was reading this and thought "sounds like the Canadians who came down to our skool." Wow. Sorry I missed you, Art. Your wife rode with my wife in the Firebird on Sunday. We were amazed you drove the car down with your gear and all from Canada, and didn't trailer the car.

We plan to be back next year and now I know which CP car Marion had the ride in. cool2.gif She quite enjoyed it but couldn't remember which car it was.

Hopefully after a couple of years with the Solstice I'll be able to get her to give the Camaro a try.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.