Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: yet Another noob...
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > General Discussion
Nick Cornilsen
hi

I joined up last week after hearing some glowing recommendations from other FBody owners, so I thought I'd introduce myself!

I race 1/2 mile oval tracks and just moved up to a real racing class from the quasi-demo derby class I used to be in. I thought I'd do something different and used a 4th gen FBody. Getting this car setup has been a challenge, since noone else races a car even kind of like mine at our track, so I've had to forge my own way with the setup. Anyway, heres a pic of the car:

and check the link in my sig for more pictures of that car and my other cars (even the jump car gets a page!)

I look forward to contributing what little I know about 4th gens and absorbing all I can!

btw, any other circle track racers on here?
John_D.
Howdy!
trackbird
Welcome. An SBC swapped 4th gen, sounds like a fun time. We have one guy here who runs asphalt oval events (2 lap sprints), but I don't think we have any other dirt oval guys here (yet). That's ok though, if you do well, we'll probably see a few more. wink.gif
Nick Cornilsen
QUOTE (trackbird @ Jul 2 2008, 02:58 PM) *
Welcome. An SBC swapped 4th gen, sounds like a fun time. We have one guy here who runs asphalt oval events (2 lap sprints), but I don't think we have any other dirt oval guys here (yet). That's ok though, if you do well, we'll probably see a few more. wink.gif

i run asphault as well... the mud on the car is from the shopyard after taking in on its maiden voyage. I am going to try it on dirt though sometime this season.
00 Trans Ram
Well, my car isn't driven on the dirt, but it's set up using a lot of dirt track components. Dirt tracks are big around here, and road racing venues aren't. So, all the race shops cater to dirt track guys. That means that I get to buy dirt track stuff and make it fit my car.

Welcome! It's always nice to get another perspective on the old problems. Perhaps you can attack something form a different angle and we can solve some of them!
mitchntx
Good luck and let us know how you do.

I bet the biggest limitation you will have is getting enough camber in the right front.
Also, I imagine the hubs and knuckles will take a beating.

But it ought to be a pretty solid platform.

Look at Hellwig's adjustable rear sway bar to help get the car to rotate in the middle of the corner.
These cars push like lawn mowers out of the box.
Nick Cornilsen
QUOTE (mitchntx @ Jul 2 2008, 03:48 PM) *
Good luck and let us know how you do.

I bet the biggest limitation you will have is getting enough camber in the right front.
Also, I imagine the hubs and knuckles will take a beating.

But it ought to be a pretty solid platform.

Look at Hellwig's adjustable rear sway bar to help get the car to rotate in the middle of the corner.
These cars push like lawn mowers out of the box.

you got that right... it took me 4 races to get the push out of it. Right now I'm sitting at 4.5 degrees of camber, and I don't need any more due to machining bushings with spherical bearings and nyliner inserts so there isn't much deflection any more. I got that camber by lengthing the slot in the cross membr and making offset upper bushings.

I only have 6 races on it and haven't lost a hub yet, but i've got a couple stockpiled if I do. are the knuckles weak too? as tall as they are I wouldn't be surprised.
Pony Exp.305
Welcome to FRRAX
Cool beerchug.gif ...where y races?
QUOTE (Nick Cornilsen @ Jul 2 2008, 10:42 AM) *
hi

I joined up last week after hearing some glowing recommendations from other FBody owners, so I thought I'd introduce myself!

I race 1/2 mile oval tracks and just moved up to a real racing class from the quasi-demo derby class I used to be in. I thought I'd do something different and used a 4th gen FBody. Getting this car setup has been a challenge, since noone else races a car even kind of like mine at our track, so I've had to forge my own way with the setup. Anyway, heres a pic of the car:

and check the link in my sig for more pictures of that car and my other cars (even the jump car gets a page!)

I look forward to contributing what little I know about 4th gens and absorbing all I can!

btw, any other circle track racers on here?
trackbird
The road race guys are bending knuckles "often enough" (occasionally?). It seems that jumping curbing and contact with other cars can bend them (Mitch is reported to have a collection of bent ones in the shop smile.gif).
Nick Cornilsen
QUOTE (trackbird @ Jul 2 2008, 04:13 PM) *
The road race guys are bending knuckles "often enough" (occasionally?). It seems that jumping curbing and contact with other cars can bend them (Mitch is reported to have a collection of bent ones in the shop smile.gif).

I see. I just hope it bends the right way for some more camber! blink.gif

I race at Douglas County Speedway, in Roseburg Oregon, btw.
mitchntx
QUOTE (Nick Cornilsen @ Jul 2 2008, 11:51 AM) *

It doesn't take much of a shot to tweak it. I've heard the "S" bend in them referred to as "pre-failed".
If track width and wheel back spacing isn't an issue, I'd attenpt to fabricate something more straight to span the 2 ball joints.
Also, you might look at Monte carlo uppers to see if you can get some more camber.

If it bends and you get MORE camber, chances are you were having a really bad day in the process.
Nick Cornilsen
QUOTE (mitchntx @ Jul 2 2008, 05:01 PM) *
QUOTE (Nick Cornilsen @ Jul 2 2008, 11:51 AM) *

It doesn't take much of a shot to tweak it. I've heard the "S" bend in them referred to as "pre-failed".
If track width and wheel back spacing isn't an issue, I'd attenpt to fabricate something more straight to span the 2 ball joints.
Also, you might look at Monte carlo uppers to see if you can get some more camber.

If it bends and you get MORE camber, chances are you were having a really bad day in the process.

What year montecarlo? do they bolt pretty much straight in?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.