Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My First Web Site
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > General Discussion
Major_Lee_Slow
I just made my first web site which is about my solo experiences. I've always wanted to do this , but I didn't even know how to start making a page. Well, after poking around on Google, I figured out how to do it, and here are the results: MLS Motor Racing Check it out and tell me what you think.

Also, if it's OK, I'd like to post a link back to FRRAX by adding the FRRAX header on the affiliates page.
00 Trans Ram
I like it! I've always wanted a site, but just never had the drive to get up and do it. Congrats!
Major_Lee_Slow
It really was not as bad as I thought it would be. I used two free programs to do all the work. GIMP for all the graphics and Kompozer for the web site construction. This is the absolute first time I've ever attempted to make a web site. I worked on it Thursday night, Friday night, all day Saturday and all day Sunday. I went from not even knowing what HTML code was, nor ever making any fancy graphics to the site you see today. So seriously if you want to do it, it's not too hard.
Crazy Canuck
not too shabby... congrats.
make sure your links aren't broken... you have a few.
It's a fun process... hope you enjoy it.
Major_Lee_Slow
Hey Thanks Eugenio. Can you tell me which links you found are broken?
Crazy Canuck
QUOTE (Major_Lee_Slow @ Aug 11 2008, 04:17 PM) *
Hey Thanks Eugenio. Can you tell me which links you found are broken?

the red box:
Welcome to MLS Motor Racing

Follow along as Eric Thompson autocross the MLS Motor Racing 1998 Camaro SS in E-Street Prepared.

This site contains all the information, news, picture and videos of MLS Motor Racing's adventures. Here you can find pictures and in-car video of our 1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS as it is campaigned with Milwaukee's and Chicago's major autocross/solo racing clubs:

TSSCC WAI Milwaukee Region SCCA Chicago Region SCCA

Follow along as MLS Motor Racing enters the national tour and the Solo National Championship with the SCCA.

The picture link is missing the .html
was the first link i clicked... might be other ones.
I recommend you create a default page for each directory, avoiding ppl to browse your directory structure, and also configure it so that it will take the .htm and .html extensions even if not specified in the path.
Major_Lee_Slow
Thanks Eugenio. I found and fixed that one, plus the links at the bottom of the page were not set up yet.

I am not sure what you mean by "create a default page for each directory." How can people browse my directory structure? By looking at the code I assume, and saving the page right? I'm totally new at making a web site, so any help I can get I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
Crazy Canuck
QUOTE (Major_Lee_Slow @ Aug 11 2008, 04:34 PM) *
Thanks Eugenio. I found and fixed that one, plus the links at the bottom of the page were not set up yet.

I am not sure what you mean by "create a default page for each directory." How can people browse my directory structure? By looking at the code I assume, and saving the page right? I'm totally new at making a web site, so any help I can get I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

in each directory, have a default.htm
that will force the browser to open that file when you type something lie http://www.mywebsite.com/dir1/dir2/ instead of seeing all the files you have in that directory.
Major_Lee_Slow
Ok, I put a file (which looks like my home page) in each directory named default.htm. However when can still see the file structure when I type in MLSmotorsports/certainunnameddirectory

What am I doing wrong?
nape
I'm not sure which server software you're using, but try "index.html" instead of "default.html".

I was a big geek with this stuff about 10 years ago, but my knowledge is dated now. I feel like an old-timer at 24 rotf.gif

Back in my day...
Major_Lee_Slow
Actually, a little digging on my hosts website and I found the solution. I had to make an .htaccess file and put it in my top level public directory. Now it's not possible to see my directories, I think...

Thanks for your help.

BTW, I've updated it again, but mostly just some formating and I made a history page.
Crazy Canuck
QUOTE (nape @ Aug 11 2008, 11:25 PM) *
I'm not sure which server software you're using, but try "index.html" instead of "default.html".

I was a big geek with this stuff about 10 years ago, but my knowledge is dated now. I feel like an old-timer at 24 rotf.gif

Back in my day...

imagine how I feel... I meant index and said default... knew it was the default page it would load... laugh.gif
I'm getting rusty lmao.gif
ESPCamaro
I've been coming here a little bit more often to see some familer faces. I don't have an F-body anymore (but might get another soon-'this wife' drink.gif LOVES the f-bodies for some damn reason-women usually don't) but DAMN sites like yours make me want one again....

Oh well I guess I'll like this car OK too.
Major_Lee_Slow
I'm glad to hear that my site has re-kindled your f-body addiction. May I suggest that you don't go and look at it again because I've updated they gallery section, and a few other details that just might drive you over the edge. burnout.gif
ESPCamaro
QUOTE (Major_Lee_Slow @ Aug 14 2008, 07:34 PM) *
I'm glad to hear that my site has re-kindled your f-body addiction. May I suggest that you don't go and look at it again because I've updated they gallery section, and a few other details that just might drive you over the edge. burnout.gif

I still like the CCW's. And they were super easy and fast to work with when I bought mine. Might go with 18's on the BMW from them.
v7guy
The website looks pretty good, a lot better than anything I've cobbled together.
Bud M
Not bad, MLS!
Tuned is spelled wrong at the bottom of the home page. And rollover images on the links would be cool. But great work for a beginner in one weekend! And the background is cool.
Viper99ta
Looks great Eric, your car is now my background!!
Major_Lee_Slow
Bud, thanks for catching that spelling error. Spelling has never been one of my strong suits.

John, that's very cool to hear that you are using my car as your background.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.