Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BlaineFab steering column package
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > Advertiser Sales & Group Purchases
Blainefab
Introducing the Blaine Fab race steering column upgrade for the 4th gen Fbody - toss your old worn out OEM column, with its sloppy tilt mechanism.

Lightweight, compact safety column with telescoping section that meets NASA requirements for aftermarket columns. Approx 12# lighter than OEM column.

Package includes:

- Momo Model 78 suede covered 3 spoke wheel - choice of 330mm or 350mm dia. (other models also available)

- Woodward safety steering column with telescoping section, allows precise positioning to suit drivers position and preference. A variety of nominal lengths are available for stock to rear set seating position, and anywhere in between.

- Woodward splined quick disconnect, precision machined for essentially zero play

- Blaine Fab aluminum 3hole to 6hole adapter, installed with high quality hardware

- Blaine Fab aluminum firewall plate with Woodward adjustable lower mount - uses OEM fasteners, minor trimming of firewall opening required.

- Blaine Fab adapter to connect the Woodward splined lower shaft to the OEM intermediate shaft. Machined/TIG welded/stress relieved/plated for perfect fit and durability.

- Choice of dash bar upper mount (not pictured - welding required) or bolt on upper mount - uses OEM 3pt mounting hardpoints.

More pics here: http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?sho...752&hl=momo

Price, complete with weld on dash bar upper mount: call for pricing
Price, complete with bolt on cowl upper mount: call for pricing
If you already have a 6bolt Momo or Sparco wheel the package can be ordered without the Momo
plus shipping and CA sales tax if applicable

Individual components available for DIYers

PM, call me at 831 427-3296, or email me at ablaine (at) cruzio (dot) com

edit: Updated 1/11/11 with new firewall mount, and revised pricing
edit: Updated 2/23/15 revised pricing
rmackintosh
That is a killer deal Alan!

THANKS for waiting until I struggled with building my own a few months ago! banghead.gif
trackbird
Damn you Alan Blaine!!!!! (shakes fist)

Starts turning over couch cushions looking for spare change...

Let me look at the checkbook, and find a way to buy one anyway... smile.gif
jeffburch
Are these CMC legal?

8.9.2. Any steering wheel may be used other than wooden models. Quick release mechanisms and spacers may be used to move the steering wheel location, but the OEM steering column must be used.

8.36.12. Aftermarket steering shafts or shaft components may be used.

Rulebook is a mess, can't tell.

thx!
jb
Blainefab
QUOTE (jeffburch @ Sep 27 2008, 02:22 PM) *
Are these CMC legal?

Rulebook is a mess, can't tell.

thx!
jb

Jeff - agreed, I can't tell for sure, tho my SWAG is no. I believe 8.36.12 was added to allow rag joint eliminators. I'll confirm on the column.
nape
QUOTE (jeffburch @ Sep 27 2008, 04:22 PM) *
8.9.2. Any steering wheel may be used other than wooden models. Quick release mechanisms and spacers may be used to move the steering wheel location, but the OEM steering column must be used.

Use it for ballast, they didn't say how you had to use it wink.gif
trackbird
If I can get the cage stuff done, this is probably working its way to the top of the list. I WANT to do one of these.
cccbock
QUOTE (trackbird @ Sep 27 2008, 02:18 PM) *
Damn you Alan Blaine!!!!! (shakes fist)

Starts turning over couch cushions looking for spare change...

Let me look at the checkbook, and find a way to buy one anyway... smile.gif

That thing is so sweet...I might have to buy one just to hang up on the wall and admire.

bock
trackbird
QUOTE (cccbock @ Sep 28 2008, 10:41 AM) *
That thing is so sweet...I might have to buy one just to hang up on the wall and admire.

bock

Sadly, I have an extra 3rd gen column hanging on my garage wall already... banghead.gif
CMC#5
That is a sweet setum Alan, nice job. Sorry though, it isnt cmc legal.
mitchntx
QUOTE (CMC#5 @ Sep 30 2008, 05:55 AM) *
That is a sweet setum Alan, nice job. Sorry though, it isnt cmc legal.

You have to use an OEM column, but all the components can be aftermarket?
Well, that's just stoopid ...

You guys are creating chaos ...

But, TJ has a point ...
Blainefab
QUOTE (CMC#5 @ Sep 30 2008, 03:55 AM) *
That is a sweet setup Alan, nice job. Sorry though, it isnt cmc legal.

Thanks, Al - That is what I figured.

If you can tell me the history and intent of 8.36.12, I can suggest a rewording to eliminate confusion. I'm pretty sure the rule was added to allow rag joint eliminators, but there may be other stuff.

Is a 3rd gen column legal in a 4th gen? I'm pretty sure it will bolt in, and the 3rd gen has no sloppy tilt mechanism.
trackbird
QUOTE (Blainefab @ Sep 30 2008, 02:57 PM) *
Is a 3rd gen column legal in a 4th gen? I'm pretty sure it will bolt in, and the 3rd gen has no sloppy tilt mechanism.

The "reverse torx" (e-15?) bolts just back out of the joint between the column and the hinge assembly on the 3rd gens. It's still an easier fix on a 3rd gen than a 4th gen.
Blainefab
QUOTE (trackbird @ Sep 30 2008, 12:20 PM) *

The "reverse torx" (e-15?) bolts just back out of the joint between the column and the hinge assembly on the 3rd gens. It's still an easier fix on a 3rd gen than a 4th gen.

Are you saying that there is a tilt column option for the 3rd gen? I haven't looked too closely at very many 3rd gens, I've only seen non tilting.
trackbird
QUOTE (Blainefab @ Sep 30 2008, 04:13 PM) *
QUOTE (trackbird @ Sep 30 2008, 12:20 PM) *

Are you saying that there is a tilt column option for the 3rd gen? I haven't looked too closely at very many 3rd gens, I've only seen non tilting.

My '89 Formula had tilt (and that column came loose, so I had to pull it down and tighten the "reverse torx" bolts. My current car has tilt and I have a tilt column hanging on my wall in the garage right now. I've never seen a non tilt 3rd gen.

Pics are of my '92 and of the '90 column hanging in my garage.
roadracetransam
Dear Alan,
Did you double check the lower mount? The aluminum plate and ball mount? The reason why I am asking is because I had the same exact design (the simplest and best), but only found out that the ball did not give me enough angle to get the steering wheel to a decent height. My angles were actually shallower than the stock config, since the steering wheel reaches 8-12 inches further back. Unfortunately the firewall is not vertical but is angled the "wrong" way which uses up most of the angle permitted by the ball.
Blainefab
QUOTE (roadracetransam @ Sep 30 2008, 02:40 PM) *
Dear Alan,
Did you double check the lower mount? The aluminum plate and ball mount?

Yes, I did check, the ball on the firewall mount has a lot of angularity, enough for the stock angle.
roadracetransam
QUOTE (Blainefab @ Sep 30 2008, 03:17 PM) *
Yes, I did check, the ball on the firewall mount has a lot of angularity, enough for the stock angle.

I did not want to doubt you, the angles must have been different on mine, due to the upper mount placement.
It was frustrating to go a different route on the lower mount for me, since I put in a lot of effort into a nice, large aluminum plate. It was really nice with 4 bolts to the firewall, covering most of the flat surface down there. I even cleaned up, beveled all the edges and gave it a brushed finish. I spent a good 6 hours messing with it. Than I did the final fit... banghead.gif
I got pissed and cut off the end of the stock column and welded one half of the ball bracket to the end. Bolted the whole thing together. 15 min. Done.
GlennCMC70
i submitted a request for this to be CMC legal.
roadracetransam
QUOTE (GlennCMC70 @ Sep 30 2008, 08:17 PM) *

You can claim that a loose tilt column is a safety hazard tongue.gif
mitchntx
QUOTE (roadracetransam @ Oct 1 2008, 12:55 AM) *
QUOTE (GlennCMC70 @ Sep 30 2008, 08:17 PM) *

You can claim that a loose tilt column is a safety hazard tongue.gif

LOL ... when I stripped the housing off my column, little did I realize that the plastic collar around the tilt joint was also the retainer for the pin that keeps the steering shaft in one piece. That last lap was "interesting"...
Blainefab
QUOTE (roadracetransam @ Sep 30 2008, 04:10 PM) *

I did not want to doubt you, the angles must have been different on mine, due to the upper mount placement.

Welp, I had humble pie with my crow tonite. I must have checked the angle with the rear set, shallow angle car, 'cause I double checked the stock column angle and you are right, my mount did not have the angularity needed (122 degrees from firewall). I whipped up a new one, with 124 degrees, and it will be overnited to my test pilot tomorrow.

pics updated

Thanks for keeping an eye on me!
CMC#5
Appreciate the help on cleaning up that rule Alan. As you guessed it was all around underhood wear items, not firewall back, essentially.
rmackintosh
QUOTE (Blainefab @ Oct 1 2008, 06:15 AM) *
QUOTE (roadracetransam @ Sep 30 2008, 04:10 PM) *

Welp, I had humble pie with my crow tonite. I must have checked the angle with the rear set, shallow angle car, 'cause I double checked the stock column angle and you are right, my mount did not have the angularity needed (122 degrees from firewall). I whipped up a new one, with 124 degrees, and it will be overnited to my test pilot tomorrow.

pics updated

Thanks for keeping an eye on me!

Nice work Alan!

I was gonna comment that I could NOT get my firewall bearing to get to a proper angle like you were saying, but figured your bearing must be a bit different (even though it looked the same) or your set up somehow allowed for it.

My solution is very similar to yours although I cut up the stock column to make that piece....not out of spiffy aluminum like you did!
2thumbs.gif
roadracetransam
QUOTE (rmackintosh @ Oct 2 2008, 07:50 AM) *
My solution is very similar to yours although I cut up the stock column to make that piece....not out of spiffy aluminum like you did!
2thumbs.gif

We keep coming up with the same solutions. Either you are spying my garage or I am spying yours. wink.gif
Doug Phillips
Sort of on topic, I have a 85 IROC with a tilt column and stock wheel. Rule change for 2009 required the steering locks to be disabled or removed.

What is involved in doing this on the stock steering column?

I may install a removable wheel at the same time to make it easier to get in and out of the car. Never should have sold my MOD 78 wheel from the Miata!!
Blainefab
QUOTE (Doug Phillips @ Jan 7 2009, 11:14 AM) *
Sort of on topic, I have a 85 IROC with a tilt column and stock wheel. Rule change for 2009 required the steering locks to be disabled or removed.

I may install a removable wheel at the same time to make it easier to get in and out of the car. Never should have sold my MOD 78 wheel from the Miata!!

Remove the steering wheel, remove a circlip that retains the lock ring, pull the lock ring out and cut/grind the teeth off, and then reinstall the lock ring and circlip.

I have a bolt on quick disconnect available at a reasonable price: $90

Pricing on the Momo Model 78 is now $190
Doug Phillips
QUOTE (Blainefab @ Jan 7 2009, 02:51 PM) *

Remove the steering wheel, remove a circlip that retains the lock ring, pull the lock ring out and cut/grind the teeth off, and then reinstall the lock ring and circlip.

I have a bolt on quick disconnect available at a reasonable price: $90

Pricing on the Momo Model 78 is now $190

When you unbolt the wheel does the whole tilt mechanism come off?

Do you have bolt on and weld on quick disconnects? Does this replace the tilt mechanism? I nuserstand some quick disconnects get sloppy over time. Is this true? What brand do you supply? If I wanted the Momo wheel to end up in approximately the same position as the stock wheel will I need an spacer?
Blainefab
QUOTE (Doug Phillips @ Jan 8 2009, 03:30 PM) *
QUOTE (Blainefab @ Jan 7 2009, 02:51 PM) *

I

Pricing on the Momo Model 78 is now $230

When you unbolt the wheel does the whole tilt mechanism come off?

Do you have bolt on and weld on quick disconnects? Does this replace the tilt mechanism? I nuserstand some quick disconnects get sloppy over time. Is this true? What brand do you supply? If I wanted the Momo wheel to end up in approximately the same position as the stock wheel will I need an spacer?

Doug - no, the tilt mechanism is deeper in the column - you have to get past the turn signal mechanism, lock and ign switch to get there.

I don't sell or recommend weld on QD's - it is a critical weld, and is likely to damage the plastic parts, and eliminates any possibility of future maintenance.

I sell a Schroeder QD, it is identical to the Grant 3001 w/o SFI sticker, has internal splines that match the column so is a bolt on. $140 for the Schroeder or Grant. I have been installing the Grant unit for about 6years, not aware of any that have worn excessively. I recommend a light oil on the splines for lubrication and corrosion resistance.

Tilt mechanism is not replaced by the QD

With the stock column, Schroeder QD, 1/2" 3bolt to 6bolt adapter and a Momo wheel, the wheel position will be slightly forward of stock (I'll get a number) . I can supply spacers that position the wheel up to 1.5" further rearwards.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.