Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MaxQData Data acquisition system GP
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > Advertiser Sales & Group Purchases
Pages: 1, 2
trackbird
While I was at the NASA nationals, I got a chance to play with the MaxQData data acquisition system and talk to one of the guys from MaxQ. This system worked great and was probably as inexpensive as anything I've seen.

The base system (which is what we were using, and it is "plenty" for most users) is under $400 to start with. For what it did, I thought that was a serious bargain. However, if there is interest, I spoke to MaxQ about possibly doing a GP on frrax. I suspect that there are lots of people here who would like a good quality data system that's also affordable. And, if I can get prices down a bit more, even better.

These are the basic systems:

http://www.maxqdata.com/MQGPS.htm

The website is here with more info:

http://www.maxqdata.com/

Anyway, I was pretty impressed with the system for the price and if there is any interest, I will get back to MaxQ and see what it takes to get a better deal on these. I know I'm going to wind up buying one either way. Does anyone else need/want a data system?

Paypal received:

Firehawkclone
Rocketman1 Standard version
Jeff97fsta MaxQ data 10mz GPS and cover
Rickredriver (Richard Bagnard) MQGPS-HiDef

Money orders:

StanIROCZ
wayno
GlennCMC70
i'm in.
i was the one using this logger from MaxQ (it wasnt my unit) that Kevin witnessed. Ed worked w/ me over a few days and was very helpfull in showing me the data each day.
Ed showed me exactly where my differences in lap times were from one lap to the next and one segemt at a time. for example. turn one at Mid Ohio - some laps i was downshifting to 3rd going into 1 and some laps i was just holding 4th and lugging it out. i was almost a second faster by just leaving it in 4th. my braking was smoother, my turn-in was smoother i pulled more lateral G thru the corner and my exit speed was higher as was my peak speed down the corner. it was shocking to see the data. this unit takes all the "seat of the pants" interpretation out of the equation. i' sold on this unit. the data is visually very easy to read and allows you to quickly see the difference.
this thing is tiny. its the size of a very small pager, or the size of a large Zipo lighter. it is rechargeable. has all the USB cables you need, a DC charge cord as well as an A/C charge cord. they also can provide a cool plastic housing the unit slips into thats held on w/ rare earth magnets. you just walk up and drop it onto the car, and its done. it held to +120 at Mid Ohio.

put me down for one Kevin.
CrashTestDummy
I might be interested in the TraQR. We have a GEEZ, and I find the weak point to be the Palm device you hook to it. You have two sets of batteries to have to keep up with, both Palms I have gone through require reinstallation of the software after battery replacement, and the batteries last about two events. It would be nice to cut out some wiring and eliminate another part that can fail.
StanIROCZ
Sounds pretty neat. If the GP is attactive enough I'd probably get one.

I haven't done a lot of research but the other systems that I've seen like this are $1k.

Do you need an internet plan for the pocket PC / phone?
Metlegleo
I'm interested if the price is right. Looks like an excellent tool.
Wayno
I'm in .I was going to buy one anyway,this will save a few dollars.
Major_Lee_Slow
I am very interested. I wold want to get the one with the video capability.
JimMueller
I'm interested if the GP is right.
trackbird
I'm looking to do the video version myself. I'll try to get in touch with Ed this week and see what kind of price I can work out based on volume.

Anyone else?
patred
I'm interested ...

Pat
Jeff97FST/A
In, too.

I picked up a used Dell Axim V51 off fleabay a month or two ago with an eye toward getting a MaxQ.
matt f
Sounds really nice (and affordable)
trackbird
I'm waiting to hear back from the guys at Max Q. Keep posting if you're interested. I was impressed with this system and the price. I'll post more when I get the info.
mitchntx
QUOTE (trackbird @ Sep 30 2008, 07:54 AM) *
I'm waiting to hear back from the guys at Max Q. Keep posting if you're interested. I was impressed with this system and the price. I'll post more when I get the info.

I'm sorry ... but I don't see "trackbird" listed in the site sponsors list.

Are you sure you can do this? I might have to ban you.

nutkick.gif
trackbird
QUOTE (mitchntx @ Sep 30 2008, 10:26 AM) *
QUOTE (trackbird @ Sep 30 2008, 07:54 AM) *

I'm sorry ... but I don't see "trackbird" listed in the site sponsors list.

Are you sure you can do this? I might have to ban you.

nutkick.gif

Welcome back Mitch! It's about time you showed up...

Guess I need to move this thread.
trackbird
Ok. On 9 of the "standard" systems, regular retail for the unit and the magnetic cover to stick it on the car is $418 plus freight. It looks like we can get at least $100 off if we buy 9 of them (I'm waiting on final info on shipping and such, but we can get them to $318 at this point). I'm still working on a few details and if we get more orders I'll see if we can do any better.

And for the video version, I received the following info:

Regarding the video product, I assume you are talking about the full meal deal with an MQGPS, cameras, laptop (did you already buy that?), software, etc. Certainly we can include the MQGPS portion of that at the group buy price. The video software I can offer a small discount on for two sales, say 15%. Final pricing of the video software is TBD but in all likelihood is going to be $129. The remaining items are things you would source yourself or I would sell at cost.

You'll need the "standard" unit, a laptop (Dell or Asus do them with flash drive hard drives that will work in a car), the software and USB cameras (as I understand it at this point). So, you'll need the unit for $318-ish and the software ($109-ish) and a laptop and USB cameras. That's as I understand it, unless the crew at MaxQ tells me I missed something.
GlennCMC70
count me in for the MaxQ unit. i'll do the vid stuff later once its released for production.
killer_bluebird
Damn you Kevin! tongue.gif

I just got some more contract work and I will have a really hard time looking the other way on this. I guess it will depend on final timing.
Major_Lee_Slow
So this is just the stand alone MQGPS-TraQr right? This unit records at 5Hz. From playing with some data at the 5Hz and 10Hz frequencies, I found that the 10Hz data is really what we need for AutoX. The 5Hz misses some of the important data points.

The kit I would want would be a 10Hz MQGPS-HiDef, with the Pocket PC with the ability to upgrade to video. I already have the camera, so I'd just need the software. However, I think that the Pocket PC's don't have enough HP to run the video and take the data, hence the reason they are currently recommending the stand alone unit.

If people do decide to use their own lap tops, please be aware that the hard drives do not work well in cars. My video camera, which uses a hard drive, will turn off to protect the hard drive due to the vibrations of the engine, even at idle. A laptop in the car needs to be run on flash memory only in order to work (this includes the operating system).
trackbird
Dell and Asus have new mini laptops that run on flash only (Dell Mini 9). I have one on order.
Major_Lee_Slow
QUOTE (trackbird @ Oct 1 2008, 10:29 AM) *
Dell and Asus have new mini laptops that run on flash only (Dell Mini 9). I have one on order.

Yes they do, but I'm not sure if they have enough power to also manage the video add on...
Crazy Canuck
would the rebate still be applicable on the DIY series of products ?
http://www.maxqdata.com/DIY.htm

My Smartphone runs Windows Mobile and already has integrated GPS.
So I figure if I can simply use that and connect to the integrated one, no need to get the whole package.
trackbird
QUOTE (Major_Lee_Slow @ Oct 1 2008, 11:33 AM) *
QUOTE (trackbird @ Oct 1 2008, 10:29 AM) *

Yes they do, but I'm not sure if they have enough power to also manage the video add on...

MaxQdata told me to get one of those two laptops and that they will run up to 4 usb cameras. So, it seems that they should. I guess I should have specified that I got that info from Ed at MaxQData. That's how I knew it existed to order one.

The dell I ordered is a dual core 1.6 gig Intel "Atom" processor. Should be a rockin' little machine.
StanIROCZ
Is there an easy way of knowing if my Dell laptop has the flash or disk hard drvie? It almost sounds as if I don't know then it is probably the disk version.

I've been using it in the car for data logging engine data and it works fine 90% of the time. Once in a while it will freeze up but I always assumed is was due to an USB driver issue but never really looked into it.

So as far as the Pocket PC function it sounds like it is only needed to store and display data. In other words I wouldn't need to have an internet plan or even have a voice plan for it, just have a phone with blue tooth and Microsoft (and be on the approved list on the website). Can anyone confirm this? I might give them a call.
trackbird
You shouldn't need internet access. Just a phone and bluetooth.

The only "flash drive" laptop dell makes is the Mini 9 (Inspiron 910 I think is the real name). It's brand new and under 3 lbs. You'd know...
Major_Lee_Slow
Trackbird, So why didn't/don't you just get the bundled package from Max Q that includes the laptop?
trackbird
QUOTE (Major_Lee_Slow @ Oct 1 2008, 01:43 PM) *
Trackbird, So why didn't/don't you just get the bundled package from Max Q that includes the laptop?

Cause I wanted the dell (I get a discount on them) and they have been out one week and I'm going to be waiting a month to get it....

The other was a single core machine and I'll use this for more than just the data system. I'll take it as a travel laptop to work on the message board, etc.
marka
Howdy,

QUOTE (Eugenio_SS @ Oct 1 2008, 11:58 AM) *
would the rebate still be applicable on the DIY series of products ?
http://www.maxqdata.com/DIY.htm

My Smartphone runs Windows Mobile and already has integrated GPS.
So I figure if I can simply use that and connect to the integrated one, no need to get the whole package.

That's pretty interesting...

I've got a laptop and a Delorme gps receiver...

Anyone played with the DIY stuff?

What's the scoop on the video package? What's that do?

Mark
trackbird
Per my conversation with Ed, the video gives you multiple views and overlays the data on the screen while watching the video.

I do have a laptop USB GPS receiver already and a laptop. Hmm...
trackbird
Anyone else?
rocktman1
Mark me down for one.
trackbird
I guess we'll give this about another 2 weeks and start getting it together. Sounds like we have enough interest at this point, we'll see if anyone else wants in and we'll wrap this up.
trackbird
Ok guys, can you PM me your addresses so I can get with MaxQ about a shipping quote? Lets try to get this thing rolling.

Thanks!
Wayno
Any updates?
trackbird
I had a family emergency and have been out of town. I'll get this off to MaxQ ASAP and get the info posted.

Sorry for the delay.
trackbird
Email sent with the addresses I have so far (which I think it all of them, but I'll have to do an audit to make sure). If you didn't specify a 10 hz version or the video setup, I put you in for the standard version for now. I'll verify through the thread and make sure I have everyone correct (I guess I should have had everyone put what they wanted in the PM's).
GlennCMC70
Glenn_Landrum at msn dot com didnt get one.

76108 is the zip.
trackbird
I meant that I sent the addresses to MaxQ to get pricing. Sorry. I'll post up the info as soon as I hear back from MaxQ. Sorry for the confusion. I just finished a 365 mile road trip and even drove through snow in the mountains. I'm going to bed... smile.gif
trackbird
Ok, I just got a lengthy e-mail back from MaxQData and I'll post the bulk of it for clarification and potential questions. I'm doing this to help make sure nobody orders the wrong item, or for there to be any confusion about which system does what. Meaning, if this doesn't clarify it, please ask and we'll find out before we order. We're dealing with a few orders for a few systems and I don't want to mix them up. On to the e-mail:

Hey Kevin,

I need to make sure we are clear on what is involved:

The "Standard Version" is the MQGPS-TraQr just like we used on Glenn's car at Nationals. It is a standalone system with built-in memory and doesn't require anything else to operate (of course you will need a laptop or PC to view the data). According to your list, these guys want a TraQr:

Jim Dulaney (? not actually specified below)

Wayne Furr + cover

Glenn Landrum + cover

Please confirm that Jim is looking for the standalone TraQr, not the HiDef.

The other system is the MQGPS-HiDef. This requires either a Windows Mobile-based Pocket PC or Smartphone, or a Windows laptop with Bluetooth that rides along in the car. There is no way to use the MQGPS-HiDef without a PPC/laptop in the car, since it doesn't have its own memory. According to your list, these guys want an MQGPS-HiDef:

Austin Gerding + cover

Jeff Martynuska

Jim Mueller + cover (? see my explanation below)

Kevin Glaser

None of the MQGPS-HiDef guys said they want a Pocket PC. That's fine as long as they have one already or will be buying one from another source.

Shipping for all orders is $15 each if you want us to ship directly to each person.

For the four HiDef guys, *if* they also need a Pocket PC, those are $200 each (our cost, sorry no further discount). In your case, you are going to use your Dell Mini anyways, so you don't need a Pocket PC. Hopefully the other guys already have a Pocket PC, Smartphone, or laptop so we don't have to worry about it.

To answer some of the questions asked by Jim Mueller:

Since he wants the MQGPS-HiDef, he must also use a Pocket PC, Smartphone, or laptop that goes along for the ride. He can buy the Pocket PC from us for $200, but if he already has a small laptop that he doesn't mind putting in the car, he can just use that as long as it is based on Windows XP or Vista and has Bluetooth. Or he can use his cell phone if it is based on Windows Mobile.

If he doesn't want to buy a Pocket PC and doesn't have a suitable laptop or cell phone, then he will need to stick with the MQGPS-TraQr. Although it's "only" 5 Hz, it's still entirely usable for road racing and autocrossing.

Neither the MQGPS-TraQr nor the MQGPS-HiDef have an SD card slot. There is no way to replace the Pocket PC/Smartphone/laptop requirement with an SD card. The TraQr has built-in non-removable memory. The HiDef has no memory. The Pocket PC *does* have an SD card slot, but it's not really necessary since the Pocket PC already has plenty of memory built in, though the SD card can make it easy to transfer files.

Sorry, OBD-II is not an option with any of the MQGPS products. OBD-II is only an option with our MQ200 products, which are higher-end systems that cost more. They are built to order and I am not able to offer a discount on them. Practically speaking, OBD-II is not that useful because the sample rate is pretty slow on many cars. As a result, we don't sell many MQ200 systems with OBD-II.

Does that answer all your questions?

Call us when you are ready to place the order and either Kevin (cc'd) or I can put it through for you.

- Ed
JimMueller
How do you connect the camera(s) which are mentioned earlier in this thread?
Jeff97FST/A
I should get the cover as well, so HiDef plus cover.

I already have a Pocket PC.....

Thanks again, Kevin
Wayno
Kevin,I would like the Hi-Def + cover.
Thanks,Wayne
killer_bluebird
Kevin, when you buy the Hi-Def + cover combo, it does come with the software installation files and license, right? So all you need is the PDA to install the software on.

Edit: Nevermind I see that it does acording to the site.
trackbird
QUOTE (JimMueller @ Oct 30 2008, 12:47 AM) *
How do you connect the camera(s) which are mentioned earlier in this thread?

USB into the mini laptop (Dell Mini 9, etc).
firehawkclone
I'm in...... I've been skipping over this tread for some reason. Oh yeah i know why, it means $$$$

Zip 93312

EDIT: stand alone

Thanks Kevin
trackbird
Gotcha John!
patred
I'm interested in the MQGPS-HiDef with cover.

Zip 21077.

Pat
firehawkclone
Were are you guys going to use the cover? There is no metal on the outside of the car.

Is the magnet strong enough to go through/stay on the Blain Fab CF roof?
trackbird
We stuck it on Glenn's hood.
rocktman1
Standard version with cover, please.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.