Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dream Car Story (long)
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > General Discussion
cccbock
I wanted to share a little story since the forum is a little slow right now.

Three weeks ago a coworker tells me he saw a 2001 WS6 Convertible for sale by the side of the road near his home. Asking price is $14000, which based on looking up similar cars was a pretty good price. He got the phone number for me and tells me the car is really nice...he stopped to look at it.

I call the owner. She says Hi, my name is Kristin (in that squeaky "the lights are on but no one is home" voice) and thats my car you called about. In her defense, she did seem to know a fair amount about the car, including it was pretty rare. She says the car only has 41000 miles on it AND believe it or not...it is a 6 speed. Im thinking this is too good to be true.

So on Saturday I go to look at the car. Kristin appears driving an older model SUV and hops out with her 12 year old daughter. She has quite obviously been keeping at least one of the local plastic surgeons busy for the past few years, not to mention the hairdresser and the nail place (wish I had a photo). When asked why she was selling the car, she said it was because her family no longer fit in the back seat. Good enough reason I guess.

For an 8 year old car, it appears to be in decent condition. I look it over and crawl under the back and front...no obvious problems. She offers for us to take it for a drive so we take it down the road. About a mile down the road the low oil light comes on. We pull over and the dip stick shows NO OIL. We turned right around and went back. I parked the car and got out and asked her about the oil light. Her response: Yeah that comes on pretty often...when it does I know its time for an oil change....but sometimes I just add a little oil and keep going if I don't have time. Ugh.... banghead.gif

I thanked her for the ride and told her to put some oil in it right away. At this point Im thinking maybe I will throw her low offer and see if she'll take it. Before I can say anything she says: "So if you give me the $14K now, I'll only have to come up with another $1000 to payoff the loan". So right away I know she's upside down and the bank and her arent gonna take my low offer. I tell her I need to find a way to pay for it and that I'll get back to her.

The following Monday was the beginning of our infamous stock market plunge. So the Dream Car is still a dream. Still got 5 Fbodies to play with though.

Bock
sgarnett
Sigh ....
mitchntx
Friend and sponsor of mine has a few collectible cars. His oil change business isn't doing as well as it has in the past, so he's trying to sell a couple cars.

One of which is black on black 71 Demon 340 4 speed. It's a factory no air, no PS car. So it would suck 6 months out of the year. But, damn I love those high winding small block MOPARs. I had a 73 Duster 340, but it didn't have the guts that 70 and 71 had.
Beach Cruiser
My wife used to drive the WS6 that I have now, She used to do the same thing with the oil light and oil changes. It used to go through a quart about every couple thousand miles or so, especially when it had lower miles on it. Fourtunatly I usually keep it topped off. However, in 06 I had to go to Italy for a 9 week stretch. When I got back she told me the car wasn't running as good as it used to, even though she had put oil in it when the light came on. (she's a smart lady, just not car frieindly) I went through the whole car trying to chase down the problem, spark plugs, Injecters, wires ect... only code in the computer was cylinder 5 missfire. I finally gave up and took it to the dealer to chase. The end result, there were 6 broken valve springs on the drivers side and two on the passenger side! I guess they get hot and brittle with no oil on them! I put it all back together with new springs at 85K miles on it. I started driving it at 95K miles when she got her Vette and the car runs as strong or stronger than ever. It now has 114K miles on and I drive it every day.
Marty
QUOTE (Beach Cruiser @ Oct 20 2008, 08:44 AM) *
My wife used to drive the WS6 that I have now, She used to do the same thing with the oil light and oil changes. It used to go through a quart about every couple thousand miles or so, especially when it had lower miles on it. Fourtunatly I usually keep it topped off. However, in 06 I had to go to Italy for a 9 week stretch. When I got back she told me the car wasn't running as good as it used to, even though she had put oil in it when the light came on. (she's a smart lady, just not car frieindly) I went through the whole car trying to chase down the problem, spark plugs, Injecters, wires ect... only code in the computer was cylinder 5 missfire. I finally gave up and took it to the dealer to chase. The end result, there were 6 broken valve springs on the drivers side and two on the passenger side! I guess they get hot and brittle with no oil on them! I put it all back together with new springs at 85K miles on it. I started driving it at 95K miles when she got her Vette and the car runs as strong or stronger than ever. It now has 114K miles on and I drive it every day.

That is the craziest thing I've heard about a survivor. Nice to know that the car was able to make it through the issue. Out of curiosity, have you taken it to any track events or really stressed the motor? I'm not sure what other problems would come up?

Marty
Beach Cruiser
That is the craziest thing I've heard about a survivor. Nice to know that the car was able to make it through the issue. Out of curiosity, have you taken it to any track events or really stressed the motor? I'm not sure what other problems would come up?

Marty
[/quote]

I auto X it at least 2 times per month, and on of the venues is pretty fast, I have also done an event at VIR, the car runs stronger now than it ever did.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.