Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Market Survey - Tire Blankets
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > General Discussion
Major_Lee_Slow
With permission from Trackbird, I am starting this thread to get feedback from you guys on a set of Tire Blankets that I've been developing.

I have completed my final prototype of the large size so I am just about to get ready to kick off production. But before I do so I want to know if people would actually be interested in buying them. The price for the production blankets will be $159.00 for a set of 4. More information, like sizes, insulation test results and pictures can be found in the survey on my website. Please take the time to review this information and then complete the short survey (Note, I am not savvy enough to actually make an online survey, so if you could email me your results at the address at the bottom of the survey I'd really appreciate it).

MLS Motor Racing Tire Blanket Survey

You can also post any and all questions in this thread because I am sure lots of people will have similar questions.

Thank you all for your help!

Eric
Major_Lee_Slow
Ok, I get the point, it's a PITA to email me your survey responses or thoughts, so I finally figured out how to make an actual survey in my website without requiring you to email me anything. It is completely confidential and it will only take you 2 minutes (if that). Even if you are not interested, I still would like to know why, so please either PM me, or email me, or just fill out the survey.

New Online Survey - Email Not Required

Thanks

Eric
poSSum
To compete with homemade tire blankets you'll really need to sell stow-ability and durability.
Major_Lee_Slow
Yes, I guess I really didn't emphasis the stow-ability and durability in the description, I should update that. Thanks Possum, I guess I just took that for granted.

The material that the tire blankets are made of is very similar to high end back pack and duffel bag material, which as you know is pretty durable and abrasion resistant. It also has a water resistant coating. As far as stowability. When you are done using the blankets they can be folded up and stuffed into a large duffel bag. That's how I have been transporting them around. Heck you can even wad them up into a ball and not damage the materials or it's insulation properties.

So far the people I've shown them to (Chicago and Milwaukee region members) are pretty impressed with the thickness and weight of the product. I guess the pictures do not really do them justice. Possum, do you have any ideas on how I should highlight both the durability and stow-ability?
sgarnett
How effective is the rear gusset/flap in fairly high winds? How stiff is the flap? Is there any provision for weighting them at the bottom, like a pocket or slot for some heavy chain? For that matter, what do they weigh?

The two reasons I quit using my homemade blankets were that stowing them was a pain (not really built for folding, which you've addressed) and wind. I had to prop tool bags against them on the downwind side of the car. You've addressed that too, but is it enough?

Can you quantify the wind testing any? 20mph with the car parked across the wind? 25? More?
Major_Lee_Slow
QUOTE (sgarnett @ Oct 21 2008, 08:13 AM) *
How effective is the rear gusset/flap in fairly high winds? How stiff is the flap? Is there any provision for weighting them at the bottom, like a pocket or slot for some heavy chain? For that matter, what do they weigh?

The two reasons I quit using my homemade blankets were that stowing them was a pain (not really built for folding, which you've addressed) and wind. I had to prop tool bags against them on the downwind side of the car. You've addressed that too, but is it enough?

Can you quantify the wind testing any? 20mph with the car parked across the wind? 25? More?

This weekend in Joliet we had wind gusts over 25 mph with a steady 15 mph wind (according to weather.com). I could not even keep an 2.5 foot tall A-frame type display board from blowing over all day.

The blanket, installed on the rear of my Camaro didn't even move. I choose the rear to do this experiment because there is less car/inner fender to block the wind. The car was parked perpendicular to the direction of the wind. The blanket was placed on the opposite side of the wind direction so the wind would want to blow the blanket off the car. The blanket stayed in place and did not even move. Obviously, when the blanket was on the other side of the car the wind just helped to seat the blanket on the tire. The insulation material also helps hold the shape of the cover so the tread section didn't move either when the wind blew on it. The blanket almost has enough rigidity to stand up buy it's self, but not too much that it can't be folded. The back gusset does hook the blanket to the tire. It is a single ply of material with no insulation. It's about as ridged as a back back would be. It functions like a "hook." However it didn't really seem like it was needed. I must say people were really impressed.

The real proof in the test was that I placed the cover over a tire only which was not mounted on a rim and it was sitting perpendicular to the wind and it did not blow off (I had to place it perpendicular or else the tire wanted to roll down hill). Thre was absolutly nothing between the cover and the wind and the wind could blow right threw the tire (no rim) and it didn't move.

Everyone who was using the mylar covers had to prop something against their cover and they had to wedge shoes or sponges between their cover and the fender to keep their covers from blowing away.

I'll have to weigh the cover to get an accurate weight, but if I had to guess (which I hate to do) I'd say they are around 5 lbs each.

However, since winter is now approaching in the windy city, and I've got really no trees in my sub-division, I should have plenty of opportunity to do more wind testing.
CrashTestDummy
We have a home-made set out of canvas and quilt batting inside. Very durable, easy to move around, and wad up and throw into the back of a car when done. When you consider the amount of work put in to design, cut and sew a set, I think $160/set is a pretty decent price.

If you autocross with slicks, and run with ambient temps less than about 85 deg, tire blankets will help, IMHO. In fact, running just about anything but V710s, blankets definitely help.
sgarnett
Survey completed. SInce the tire size question specified the answer format, I didn't know if the software could handle multiple sizes. I entered 315/35/17, but I also use 295/35/17.
poSSum
QUOTE (Major_Lee_Slow @ Oct 21 2008, 05:27 AM) *
Possum, do you have any ideas on how I should highlight both the durability and stow-ability?

Stow-ability: Pack them in a bag and put it in an area of known size for reference ... for us, the trunk well in the Camaro would work well.

Durability: You've described the material. I guess real world test results are needed to prove it.

As a reference point, Your covers will probably cost me $200 Canadian by the time exchange and shipping is included. My homemade covers cost me about $60. That was using foil-faced bubble type insulation and aluminum tape. I plan on making v.2 of these over the winter to try and address the stowability issues. Fortunately I'll be able to re-use most of the material. The question I'll be asking myself is, "are your covers a better long-term product/value than 3 sets of homemade covers?"
marka
Howdy,

I don't have tire covers (usually have a codriver), but I'd be interested in getting a set.

However, I can't justify $160/set. Maybe $75 max. Under $50 would be better.

Mark
Major_Lee_Slow
Squarnett, no problem with the formatting, I have to manually sort tire sizes anyway.

Possom

I love the idea of the "pack size" for sto-ability. I'll think that's the best way. good idea!!!!

You have a valid concern, and one that if addressed properly could be a good marketing point. From what I've seen of the mylar covers vs my design I know I am heads and tails better with the durability. The question is, what kind of test can I perform to prove this. I've not seen a standardized tire blanket durability test. LOL!

An out right strength test probably wouldn't be applicable because nobody is going to put the full force of their body into them when it comes to putting them on and off. Think about trying to tear a back pack in half. That sure isn't easy.

Maybe number of "on the car/off the car" cycles until failure would be more applicable. But that could and probably would take forever. But then there is the abuse of just throwing them on the ground to run out for the next run and maybe the guy next to you runs them over. How do I duplicate that? Maybe I could run a set over and see what happens. wink.gif I'm going to have to thin about this.

Marka, I'd luv to sell these for $50.00 per set, but the hard truth is that there is more than $50.00 in material in these things. Think about just how big a tire is....
sgarnett
I don't really doubt that these are more durable than my mylar/bubble version, but since the topic has come up, the cordura fabric isn't likely to be an issue. The weak point is probably the stitching. I'm basically handing you an opening, Eric smile.gif
poSSum
QUOTE (Major_Lee_Slow @ Oct 21 2008, 11:56 AM) *
But then there is the abuse of just throwing them on the ground to run out for the next run and maybe the guy next to you runs them over.

Even the extra weight may be a selling point. Do they stay put when you drop them on the ground on a breezy day? The one I have need to be stacked and ballasted to keep them from blowing away.
marka
Howdy,

QUOTE (Major_Lee_Slow @ Oct 21 2008, 12:56 PM) *
Marka, I'd luv to sell these for $50.00 per set, but the hard truth is that there is more than $50.00 in material in these things. Think about just how big a tire is....

Yeah, no worries. I wasn't realistically thinking that you could actually sell them at that price.

I'll have to wait for the Harbor Freight version.

:-)

Mark
Major_Lee_Slow
QUOTE (sgarnett @ Oct 21 2008, 12:15 PM) *
I don't really doubt that these are more durable than my mylar/bubble version, but since the topic has come up, the cordura fabric isn't likely to be an issue. The weak point is probably the stitching. I'm basically handing you an opening, Eric smile.gif

Where the pieces mate (front panel to tread cover to rear gusset) they are triple stitched in these locations. Plus there is some re-enforcing covering in this area as well. The stitching won't be an issue. I really wish I could send each and everyone of you a sample because once you got them in your hands you'll be sold tongue.gif LOL!

Possum, they do not blow away in a breezy day. However if you define a breezy day as 50 mph winds, then all bets are off. blink.gif

Marka, I sure hope Harbor freight doesn't pick up this product. Although if they do and they work just as well as their jacks or power steering pump pulley pullers then I won't have anything to worry about. cool2.gif
sgarnett
I was an instructor at a Street Survival teen driving school in winds that rose to 50mph or so by lunch time. Yes, they called it and sent everyone home. The gusts kept sending the cones tumbling. By the time I got home (normally an hour drive, longer when avoiding downed trees), gusts were reported to be reaching 75.

I will not be autocrossing in 50mph winds smile.gif 20~25mph winds are not all that unusual.
Major_Lee_Slow
Guys, thanks for all your questions and input and survey responses. It is highly probable that I will be going into production. I just need a few data points and i should have enough information to make a data driven decision.

Thanks again

Eric
Major_Lee_Slow
I now have pricing for the small Tire Blankets: $149.00 for a set of four.

The survey results are looking very favorable at the present time. I still am looking for a few more responses to determine "how many" I should order for my first run.
bowtieboy
QUOTE (Major_Lee_Slow @ Oct 24 2008, 07:42 PM) *
The survey results are looking very favorable at the present time. I still am looking for a few more responses to determine "how many" I should order for my first run.

Some probably won't care about this question, but for those of us who are anal about clean autocross cars:
What is the method of cleaning care for these things ? (ie: soap and water by hand, machine wash, etc.)
........might also be a good point for your durability description.
Major_Lee_Slow
QUOTE (bowtieboy @ Oct 25 2008, 09:58 PM) *
QUOTE (Major_Lee_Slow @ Oct 24 2008, 07:42 PM) *

Some probably won't care about this question, but for those of us who are anal about clean autocross cars:
What is the method of cleaning care for these things ? (ie: soap and water by hand, machine wash, etc.)
........might also be a good point for your durability description.

This is a great question. I wouldn't recommend putting them into a washing machine because of their size alone. Second, the tire blanket is water resistant, but not water proof so if you fully submerge the blankets in water they could become water logged and take forever to dry out. I recommend washing them with a small amount of mild detergent, luke warm water and a sponge. Then use a second sponge and clean water to rinse the soap off the fabric. Then let it air dry till completely dry. do not put it away damp because all sorts of microbs and fungus can grow in the water which would make the covers smell "ripe."
Major_Lee_Slow
I weighted a Large Tire Blanket tonight and it weights 3.0 lbs. I also checked to see what size box it would fit into to get a sense of volume. I was easily able to fit into a 13x9x11 inch box.
Major_Lee_Slow
I have now closed the Tire Blanket Survey. Thank you to everyone who responded, the results were very favorable so production is scheduled to start on Monday, 11/3/08. The first set should be ready for shipment on December 1st, 2008.

I do want to make you all aware that we have made revisions to the current design. In the name of increased durability we have changed the exterior material to one that is even more durable that the current material and we have revised the seam construction and protection. These improvements do affect the price somewhat but I think the increase in durability is worth it. After all our goal is to provide the highest quality product and the most reasonable price that you will be able to use for years.

Thanks again to everyone for their input.

Eric Thompson
MLS Motor Racing
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.