Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is there a site, like this, for C4 Vettes?
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > General Discussion
subtleZ28
I picked up an 84 Vette w an LS1 swapped in. I plan to lighten it, swap in a T56, and go High speed auto crossing it next year.

I've had fun and success w my 02 Z28, but don't have the heart to mod it any further. The Z28 will remain in the fleet for street duty, and I'm excited about my new project.

Anyway, this site has been very helpful for hard-core tech. I'm hoping someone can point me to similar tech for C4 vettes.

I'm already aware of DigitalCorvettes and Corvette forum, I'm looking for more road-race specific.

Thanks!
Wayno
CorvetteForum.com
Blainefab
QUOTE (subtleZ28 @ Oct 23 2008, 08:37 PM) *
I picked up an 84 Vette w an LS1 swapped in. I plan to lighten it, swap in a T56, and go High speed auto crossing it next year.

I've had fun and success w my 02 Z28, but don't have the heart to mod it any further. The Z28 will remain in the fleet for street duty, and I'm excited about my new project.

Anyway, this site has been very helpful for hard-core tech. I'm hoping someone can point me to similar tech for C4 vettes.

I'm already aware of DigitalCorvettes and Corvette forum, I'm looking for more road-race specific.

Thanks!

A lot of us here have owned/built/tracked C4's, seems like a proper GD topic. What do you want to know?
Mojave
QUOTE (Wayno @ Oct 23 2008, 11:11 PM) *
CorvetteForum.com

There is some tech on CorvetteForum, but there are so many garage queens who think their C4 is worth at least $15K, if not 20, and are shocked to see cars selling below $10K.
subtleZ28
Blainefab, I guess I do not have any specific questions yet. I haven't driven the car to evaluate issues. I'm just trying to gather info at this point.

Mojave, I've picked you brain before, and your site has been quite inspirational.

The class I ran my 02 in is called Super Street. Basic restrictions are 5.7 liters, 140 or higher tread-ware tires, no cage or subframe connectors, and you need to keep cats, carpet, and door panels. It basically needs to stay a "street car".

My plan is to delete all unneeded things like A/C, stereo, stock seats (aluminum fixed buckets), sound deadener, etc.

It has a set of ~04 Z06 wheels on it (17x9s and 18x10.5s). I'm not sure if I will stick w 275/40/17s all around or go to 315/30/18s all around. I'll probly just run my 02 Z28s 275s at first (to save $) and to get a baseline.

The point of this car is to not worry about negative effects on road manners, and to keep it budget minded. Long term I'd like to cage it and go wheel to wheel.

So basically, I'm trying to determine what should be done, and in what order.

To throw a wrench in, it is already modded, and I haven't been able to reach the original builder. I know it is lowered (not sure what springs are on it), it has upgraded (bigger rotors) brakes-not sure what exactly is on it.

Anyway, just looking to learn more, and get out of the ignorant stage ASAP.
subtleZ28
By the way, Blaine, what do you offer for C4s?
You make quality parts!
Pony Exp.305
Do you need the front sway bar (35mm) and end links for Corvette?? I found it at barn and its looks new brand. You want look at pix, let me know.
Blainefab
QUOTE (subtleZ28 @ Oct 24 2008, 07:58 AM) *
You make quality parts!

I've built several C4's for RR from the ground up, mostly custom fab:

Scott's car
Evan's car

I build and stock the Lexan spoiler and the Delrin shift knob, and I've kept the mold for Evan's splitter, could make more of those.
I have a bunch of raceworthy C4 body parts, and some stock suspension pieces available.
Blainefab
QUOTE (subtleZ28 @ Oct 24 2008, 07:53 AM) *
The class I ran my 02 in is called Super Street. Basic restrictions are 5.7 liters, 140 or higher tread-ware tires, no cage or subframe connectors, and you need to keep cats, carpet, and door panels. It basically needs to stay a "street car".

My plan is to delete all unneeded things like A/C, stereo, stock seats (aluminum fixed buckets), sound deadener, etc.

It has a set of ~04 Z06 wheels on it (17x9s and 18x10.5s). I'm not sure if I will stick w 275/40/17s all around or go to 315/30/18s all around. I'll probly just run my 02 Z28s 275s at first (to save $) and to get a baseline.

To throw a wrench in, it is already modded, and I haven't been able to reach the original builder. I know it is lowered (not sure what springs are on it), it has upgraded (bigger rotors) brakes-not sure what exactly is on it.

Anyway, just looking to learn more, and get out of the ignorant stage ASAP.

For aluminum seats you'll need a back brace - typically to a rollbar. If that is out, you could brace to the body but would be simpler to get FG seats.

I tracked my 99 FRC (did well regionally in BSP, too) a lot with GS 17x11 and 315 Kumho or Hoosiers, stock brakes with race pads. If class rules allow, wider = better on both ends. As 18" race rubber was introduced years ago, some folks stayed with 17's, esp on the rear.

If the springs are still FG leaf, there should be a label with an 8 digit GM part# that you can ID the source from.
subtleZ28
Well, I got some work and investigation done on the Vette tonight.

Front bar is 30 mm (largest factory bar). 35 seems huge, but I'l keep your offer in mind.
Front spring is a VBP Sport? the label is obscured, but I think the white (as apposed to red) dot in front of sport means it is a "sport" spring. I'll dig into that more.

Rear sway bar is 27 mm... assuming that is aftermarket.
Rear spring says "BMF023851". Also had a date code of 07/20/84... assuming that is the stock spring. (looks like this is a 72 N/mm spring from what I can tell - came on 84 Z51s))

As I mentioned this was a running LS1 swap. The wiring (and external fuel pump) are down-right scary! I'm glad this will be a race car--->a bunch of the wiring is going bu-bye!

As far as aluminum seats go, I was planning on (blatantly) copying Mojave, and supporting off a harness bar (anybody want some black C5 seats?).
Blainefab
QUOTE (Blainefab @ Oct 29 2008, 01:50 AM) *
QUOTE (subtleZ28 @ Oct 24 2008, 07:58 AM) *
You make quality parts!

I build and stock the Lexan spoiler and the Delrin shift knob, and I've kept the mold for Evan's splitter, could make more of those.
I have a bunch of raceworthy C4 body parts, and some stock suspension pieces available.

And the Blainefab wheel spacers will fit C4 and C5 and I'm pretty sure C6 also.
http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?showtopic=10330 all sizes are in stock
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.