Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 72 Duster - What's it worth and best place to sell
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > General Discussion
StanIROCZ
My father-in-law has a 72 Duster that his mom bought brand new in 1971. She drove it for about 2 years then she started to have some troubles so the car didn't get driven much after that. The car has seen 2 winters and has always always been kept in the garage. It's no hot rod, but the car is solid solid solid. I few spots of rust that will clean up with a wire wheel, and that is it. Still has the original Bias Ply Goodyear tires. Paint is good but isn't the greatest color. 318 / torqueflight automatic. It's a grandma car, but because it has such a solid body it would be a great start for anybody wanting to restore or make a toy out of it.

more pictures here: http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o33/StanIROCZ/Duster/

It hasn't been driven since 1990 and currently does not run. While in high school the brother-in-law decided he wanted to "fix it up" and chopped the brake lines, fuel lines, and exhaust. I don't think it would take much to get it running. I tried once, but ran out of time and never took another crack at it. I guess I don't think the seller would mind it not running that much since he would probably want to drop his own driveline in it. IMO, the solid chassis would be the most attractive part of this car.

The current economic condititions have hit the in-laws pretty hard here and they would like to sell it. I offered to use my internet skills to help.

Just wondering how much this car might be worth and suggestions on the best way to market the car and sell it. A Duster isn't exactly cream of the crop but I was wondering if I open this up to a national market (such as ebay) if I might attract more $$ from the builders. Fixing rust takes lots of time or costs lots of money. This car does not have that. I'm afraid the local market might not be the best for selling this because Detroit has been hit esp hard for the past couple years.

Just looking for other thoughts / experiences...
NJSPEEDER
Unfortunately Dusters don't get a whole lot of respect. A clean car in running condition wil often struggle to hit the 3-5K range and something super clean like you have that needs work to put on the street would most likely get around 3k. Through it up on Ebay and you can hope that some people fall in love with it and really get bidding on it. Sometimes original V8 cars will hit someones soft spot and take off.

Good luck.

-Tim
rpoz-29
I'm no Mopar guy, but I know what I would do. First, I would get it running. Change all the fluids, fix the brakes, take a look at the AC even. I've always had trouble trying to sell cars that don't run. I have no idea what it would be worth, but I've seen stock Chevy Vegas bringing $3500-$5000. I might even try to find a set of rally wheels and a set of raised white letter tires for it. Something that makes it look a little sporty, while keeping the car itself all stock. And find all the documentation you can, and advertise that you still have the original tires. Good luck.
BigEnos
As far as the color, don't sell it so short. It's black inside which is a big plus. So many cars from this era were green, blue, gold even on the inside. A black interior is huge plus. Most people would rather paint a car than re-do the interior IMHO. I agree with the above, get it running and driving and it should bring more money.
StanIROCZ
QUOTE (BigEnos @ Nov 3 2008, 09:16 PM) *
As far as the color, don't sell it so short. It's black inside which is a big plus. So many cars from this era were green, blue, gold even on the inside. A black interior is huge plus. Most people would rather paint a car than re-do the interior IMHO. I agree with the above, get it running and driving and it should bring more money.

That's a good point that we did talk about actually. Nice to have someone else confirm.

QUOTE (BigEnos @ Nov 3 2008, 09:16 PM) *
get it running and driving and it should bring more money.

I was kinda fearing that. Maybe we should haul it over to my place so I can work on it at night and have my tools handy.

I called an old acquaintance of mine that knows the older car market quite a bit better than I. He says everything is way down right now. banghead.gif We've been talking about selling this car for years, but why did we wait until now to act on it?
slowcamaro
pro-touring.com and pray someone is looking for a rust free platform to start a big dollar build?
Shortcutsleeping
Put it in Hemmings Motor News. Seriously.

Costas
cars and such...
CrashTestDummy
Yeah, Hemmings.
POS Dodge
Wow. Nice survivor. You have to make a big deal about that. Mopar people (me...) really like the survivor cars, even if they're plain jane. I realize it's just my opinion, but I'd hate to see that turned into some Pro-touring piece... Wheels/tires, exhaust, 4bbl low rise carb/manifold and it's perfect. I'd love to have that, but I'm too far away, unless you feel like bringing it to me lol. Not really looking to trailer anything that far. I like it especially since it has discs and A/C.

First, get it running. It'll bring way more that way. Survivor cars are tough to price. Hell, any older cars are a toss up right now, so pulling numbers out of my ass... If you find the right person (could take time), you could get 8-10 for it. Quick sale at 5-6 I'd imagine. No rust, no body work, V8 k-member, discs, A/C (important to some), paperwork, basically original owner. The K and discs will make a smallblock engine swap guy happy, even though they're small pattern brakes, and that looks like a 7.25 rear.

Look at this disliked year Charger - 1972, 318 to boot. Clean, original survivor car. 20k, maybe gets, I dunno 14k-16k on a sale?
http://www.musclemopars.com/page4.php

Browse some prices here to get a feel...
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/postli...t=0&Board=a
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.