Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I finally met 1meanZ and RaysZ28 yesterday
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > General Discussion
trackbird
Hey guys, it was nice to get a chance to put a face with a screen name. I wish we'd been in the same run group since I was hoping to get a ride with you both. I guess that will have to wait until next time.

And I really felt bad parking my ugly beater next to those two extremely clean cars. I guess somebody has to bring the property values down in the neighborhood. smile.gif
axoid
I'll second that.

If you guys want to see the pictures that I shot yesterday the link is:
http://www.incom-racing.com/images/gallery...2008/index.html
1meanZ
Thanks a bunch guys, it was really great to hang out with you guys yesterday. It's always great to meet more experienced guys to learn and steal ideas from. Hopefully I can get to some more events down there with the OVR next summer. By then hopefully my car will have some much needed improvements and Kevin won't beat me with the majic green wonder on street tires like he did in the first session, surrender.gif but at least I got him in the afternoon!
1meanZ
Bill, those pictures are incredible, thanks so much for hosting them. I appreciate the great pictures of my car in action, i'm amazed at how much the car dives and rolls. I've never seen action shots quite like this. maybe its my junk shocks? maybe my stock springs and swaybars can't handle the grip of slicks?

power off a corner(part of this may be 500ftlbs)

Here I am on the binders somehow not brake hopping...

My short torque arm must be standing the car up on power and dropping it on brakes, hence the brake hop. I'm adamant about keeping my dual exhaust so the TAs you guys run are not an option for me. I'll lengthen my Jegster TA an keep it a tunnel mount to clear my 3" pipes, that plus Konis are bound to make a difference.

I do have another question, Kevin, is this the fast way around the track? LOL

StanIROCZ
QUOTE (1meanZ @ Nov 3 2008, 08:38 PM) *
maybe its my junk shocks? maybe my stock springs and swaybars can't handle the grip of slicks?

I think you'd be amazed at what Koni's will do. You can leave the front springs alone since they are probably 750 lb/in. For what you want I'd only change them if you wanted to lower it an inch or so.

I ran koni's with the stock rear springs and it worked. If the budget is tight thats an option, but I think you'd like something stiffer eventually.
trackbird
QUOTE (1meanZ @ Nov 3 2008, 08:38 PM) *
I do have another question, Kevin, is this the fast way around the track? LOL

Hmm. Considering that I somehow managed to beat you in the morning, and I would have beat you in the afternoon if it wasn't for cones (I'm actually very sure that the car would have run my afternoon times clean, I mostly just clipped the base of those cones and spun them out of the boxes, I needed 1/2", not 6" to avoid them...I just blew it), it might just be the fast way around the course. At least the fast way on skinny little street tires that have been heat cycled to death. 2thumbs.gif (That's my story and I'm sticking to it). And, the weight advantage wasn't as much as it could have been since I had a passenger for every run of the day rolleyes.gif ).

(All of the above is crap...and racing excuses). nutkick.gif

You need shocks, and you could use a bit more spring rate too. However, an alignment is the #1 issue right now, those others are close behind. You are welcome to try my setup when you get ready, I'll gladly share (if you don't already know what it is). It's not perfect, but it works pretty well.
1meanZ
QUOTE (trackbird @ Nov 3 2008, 11:52 PM) *
I would have beat you in the afternoon if it wasn't for cones

LOL Isn't that was autocross is? If it wasn't for the cones we'd all be faster! LOL

Anyway I just had to give you a rough time when I saw the pics of the car sideways coming off. I normally run with the NWOR and one of my mentors up there, Les Schober, is always harping on me about being smooth, squeezing the throttle and squeezing the brakes, the fast way is the smooth way even if it feels slow. I have to say I've found him to be exactly right so far, so I think sometimes I leave time on the course because I'm not aggressive enough, but I'm trying to make clean smooth effective passes. So when I saw you coming off the corner tail first, I had to comment. Obviously in the morning session it was the fastest way around the course, and in the afternoon it would have been if it weren't for those annoying cones! ahahahah 2thumbs.gif
trackbird
If it wasn't for cones, I'd be first!!!!! hail.gif hail.gif hail.gif hail.gif

Yea, I was splitting the difference between forward momentum and where I needed the car pointed, I just had to do much of it with the rear wheels. Even in second, I could pretty much spin the tires at will, even in a straight line. So, you aim to miss the cones and dial in as much throttle as you can and still get the job done. So, in that car, it's a variant of the fast way around, but not my usual style (my 4th gen was "tight" and well composed on sticky tires). You are correct that "neat and tidy" is fast. But almost any meaningful acceleration causes tire spin in that car, so you have to adapt.

Besides, it sure is fun. And in the morning session I think I was only 4-ish seconds behind one of our fast guys in an EM Corvette on (tired) slicks. I didn't drive as well as I'd hoped, but I had fun and I'm fine with that after taking the whole season off. Besides, I'm really not that fast of a driver, even on a good day (I can admit it).

Where the heck is that thread with the racing excuse generator when I need it???? wink.gif
Raysz28
Hey guys,
it was great to meet you both last weekend! i ended up on the reverse afternoon session with a clean 48.5. i left a lot of time on the track on my turn exits because of my crappy diff. i bake the inside on every sharp turn. i think i could have tied Jeremy's 47.5 time if i had his 315s! haha. cool2.gif

well now we have the winter to fix/upgrade our buses, hopefully i'll be more competitive in ESP next year. i do want to race more in OVR next year, and i know Jeremy does too...hint hint! lol
1meanZ
Heh, if you're going to stay in ESP, get ready to be wasted by Bill (Axoid) once he gets his oil leaks under control. By the way I was only on 275 slicks, 315s wouldnt fit in the front without cutting the fenders on my pretty grocery getter. We both have the same problem with our stock Torsen diffs, maybe I'll have a solution to that next year....
Raysz28
Jeremy,
you had your headers wrapped right? i remember you saying that when you took your wrap off, your headers looked great, was that right?
i'm thinking about wrapping the ones i get this winter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.