Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ebay auction gone wild
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > General Discussion
mitchntx
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pontiac-Le-...A1%7C240%3A1318

Be sure and read through the Q&A ...

Wow! talk about a barn find!
NJSPEEDER
Yeah, there is extensive discussion of this auction on a few boards. Lots of drooling going on all over the place for this one.

-Tim
bowtieboy
Holly hit the lottery Batman ! !
.......so is that going to be your new retirement investment Mitch ? smile.gif
GlennCMC70
i didnt read mostof it causei cant see most of it. whats the big deal?
mitchntx
QUOTE (bowtieboy @ Nov 11 2008, 04:09 PM) *
Holly hit the lottery Batman ! !
.......so is that going to be your new retirement investment Mitch ? smile.gif

I need to look in more barns!

QUOTE (GlennCMC70 @ Nov 11 2008, 04:45 PM) *
i didnt read mostof it causei cant see most of it. whats the big deal?

1 of 6 SD factory race cars. Kind of a subset of a COPO Camaro ...

Fiberglass front clip, plexiglass windows, aluminum bumpers, trick suspension, aluminum brake drums, ...

This was a brother-in-law's car who passed away and was the 2nd or 3rd owner. Many of the documented and impossible to replace parts are there.

And the great thing about it, is that he had it listed with a Buy it Now for $4000 at one point. But some gear head and car enthusiast explained to him what he had instead of taking advantage of his ignorance.

It's what this hobby is supposed to be about ...
z28jeff
Wow, that's a great story. 2thumbs.gif
So who bought it? Jay Leno?
mitchntx
That's kind of the jist I took away ... it's in Leno's hands.
rpoz-29
I kind of hope Leno got it. That way, we can have a look at it on his website someday, and it will be driven.
roadracerwhite
It was also noted that they were thinking about scrapping it at one time.

From reading the ad,

It had an aluminum front end at one time, it was no longer on the car though.

It is an incredible story.

As a Pontiac guy myself, this is one of the rarest cars you can find.

Super Duty Le Mans coupes

· Shipped to Ray Nichels Engineering, Merrillville, Illinois. Driven by Paul Goldsmith to a win in the 1963 Daytona 250-mile Challenge Cup. Documented as destroyed.

· Shipped to Stan Long Pontiac, Detroit, Michigan. Driven by Stan Antlocer. Whereabouts unknown, though front clip has been recovered.

· Shipped to Superior Pontiac, San Antonio, Texas. Whereabouts unknown.

· Shipped to Mickey Thompson. Campaigned as the No. 749 A/FX car and driven by Bill Shrewsberry and Bob Spar. Fate unknown.

· Shipped to Mickey Thompson. Campaigned as the No. 756 A/FX car and driven by Jess Tyree; later sold to Arnie Beswick and campaigned as the Little B's Runabout before Beswick converted it into the Tameless Tiger Funny Car. Destroyed in a racing accident, but later restored.

· Shipped to George DeLorean and Roger Schmidt. Restored.

Looks like there are still a couple out there, who knows what is still out there.

I found the story on the NASA forums when the bidding was at 80,000.
mitchntx
QUOTE (roadracerwhite @ Nov 12 2008, 05:49 PM) *
As a Pontiac guy myself, this is one of the rarest cars you can find.

That little piece of metal behind the door glass ... funny, ain't it?
00 Trans Ram
The only thing that I find wrong about this story is that this should no longer be considered a "car". It's a collectable. It belongs in the same category as the Hope Diamond, Monet's 'Starry Night', and the original Magna Carta. If it will be driven again, then I admire whoever buys it. But, for it to be restored and put on a shelf is a shame.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.