Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmarobird ownership quirks...
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > General Discussion
Nick Cornilsen
Hi

I just totalled out my daily driver (07 aveo) and am looking for a daily driver. I've noticed the bottom has fallen out of the car market and was thinking of picking up a LS1-T56 powered camaro or firebird. i'm young, gotta live it up before I get tied down with kids and all that, right?

Anyway, I see alot of these camaros for $9000 bucks with around 85K on them. I see a few with 40-50 for 10-11K as well.

If I get a camaro with 80 or so thousand miles on it, what kind of reliability can I expect out of it? I understand the LS1 drivetrain is pretty tough, and I only do highway driving too. What kinds of things do go wrong? I don't beat on my cars and will change the oil on time, every time, I won't be racing this car or modding it. Also, with the car in general, what else goes wrong? Are t-tops very leak prone?

I've got a 95, but its a circle track car and never has seen the street so It not helping me out here!!

If this isn't the right place for this post, could a mod move it?

thanks
NJSPEEDER
Haven't had a lick of trouble with mine and with the 6spd I get 30mpg on the highway.

-Tim
BigEnos
Get some polarized sunglasses, you'll need it to fight the glare coming off of that 3 acre dashboard. Other than that, just throw a set of bilsteins on it and you'll love it. Mine has 142000 miles on it and compared to a lot of folks it's still in the break-in cycle. They just seem to run and run.

AFAIK they aren't super-sensitive to oil change intervals, especially if you are a 3000-mile change advocate. I think I used to go about 5000 on mine when I drove it a lot. Now it's just every 6 months. blink.gif
codename Bil Doe
My roommate has 167k miles on his stock motor and tranny. It needs new synchros, but still shifts fine when not WOT. 3 clutches later, dozens of track days, several hundred autox, a couple times down the drag strip. If you take care of it, they're pretty much trouble free.
Nick Cornilsen
QUOTE (codename Bil Doe @ Nov 18 2008, 08:05 PM) *
My roommate has 167k miles on his stock motor and tranny. It needs new synchros, but still shifts fine when not WOT. 3 clutches later, dozens of track days, several hundred autox, a couple times down the drag strip. If you take care of it, they're pretty much trouble free.

I'm glad to hear this... I always thought these cars could be counted on, but i needed some first hand confirmation. Now I'll feel better about buying one

thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.