Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what would you get for a DD
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
roadracetransam
It is time to get a car for MYSELF. The last car I did get, just for me, was the TransAm and that was 8 years ago. My current daily driver is a car I got from a "miracle" garage/used car lot (clunkerville, USA). It is a 99 Buick Regal with faded burgundy paint, passenger side keyed, some body damage, rear windows don't work, instrument panel don't light up, radio got a tape stuck in it, driver seat torn, tranny is slipping, and I just spent yesterday replacing the rack and pinion, (car did not like to turn right). It still runs decent, but I won't be picking up any babes with this pile of junk.
I am on a budget, but I do want to get something that I like, and looks good. It won't be a track car, (maybe 5 years from now it might turn into one, who knows) but I would like something that is fun.
So here is what I was thinking:
'04 GTO LS1 $14000-$16000 not to trilled about this one since the ones with more pep under the hood go for a little more
'05-'06 GTO LS2 $15000-$18000
'08 G8 GT LS2(I think) $20000 - $25000 I can't belive already see some used ones
'98-'04 C5 LS1 $15000 - $20000
'99-'04 C5 Z06 LS6 $21000 - $25000 is the Z06 worth the extra $?
'05-'08 C6 LS2 $27000 - $30000 go nuts, is 31 to soon for a midlife crisis?
'07-'08 C6 Z06 LS7 $52000 -$? go completely nuts and have no $ left to track the TA.
'04-'08 STI or EVO $17000-$25000 I don't know much about these other than they keep passing me on track banghead.gif on the con side the parts for these might get pricey.
'04-? BMW 3 series $16000-$20000 I know even less about these, exept people who see these think they special and people who drive them usually are aholes. I included it since it is in the price range, and I might be an ahole. blink.gif
EDIT:
Found something else with a V8 and RWD:
'05-'06 CTS V-type LS6 $17000-$22000 6-speed fun from Caddi.

I haven't been looking at what is out there, so just went with what I know....

Budget is around $15000 but willing to pay more for something better.
any other ideas?
roadracetransam
here is one more

'06-'08 STS V-type 469hp supercharged RWD caddy $29000- $? same price as a C6 on the luxury side of GM.
1qwikbird
QUOTE (roadracetransam @ Feb 8 2009, 07:49 PM) *
It is time to get a car for MYSELF. The last car I did get, just for me, was the TransAm and that was 8 years ago. My current daily driver is a car I got from a "miracle" garage/used car lot (clunkerville, USA). It is a 99 Buick Regal with faded burgundy paint, passenger side keyed, some body damage, rear windows don't work, instrument panel don't light up, radio got a tape stuck in it, driver seat torn, tranny is slipping, and I just spent yesterday replacing the rack and pinion, (car did not like to turn right). It still runs decent, but I won't be picking up any babes with this pile of junk.
I am on a budget, but I do want to get something that I like, and looks good. It won't be a track car, (maybe 5 years from now it might turn into one, who knows) but I would like something that is fun.
So here is what I was thinking:
'04 GTO LS1 $14000-$16000 not to trilled about this one since the ones with more pep under the hood go for a little more
'05-'06 GTO LS2 $15000-$18000
'08 G8 GT LS2(I think) $20000 - $25000 I can't belive already see some used ones
'98-'04 C5 LS1 $15000 - $20000
'99-'04 C5 Z06 LS6 $21000 - $25000 is the Z06 worth the extra $?
'05-'08 C6 LS2 $27000 - $30000 go nuts, is 31 to soon for a midlife crisis?
'07-'08 C6 Z06 LS7 $52000 -$? go completely nuts and have no $ left to track the TA.
'04-'08 STI or EVO $17000-$25000 I don't know much about these other than they keep passing me on track banghead.gif on the con side the parts for these might get pricey.
'04-? BMW 3 series $16000-$20000 I know even less about these, exept people who see these think they special and people who drive them usually are aholes. I included it since it is in the price range, and I might be an ahole. blink.gif
EDIT:
Found something else with a V8 and RWD:
'05-'06 CTS V-type LS6 $17000-$22000 6-speed fun from Caddi.

I haven't been looking at what is out there, so just went with what I know....

Budget is around $15000 but willing to pay more for something better.
any other ideas?

I'd be looking at a GTO or a CTS-V. I'd want an original unmolested car though, no hot rods. Both would be fun to drive, have the LS based motor and could probably be had for the price point your looking at. The GTO is kinda bland on the exterior, but the interior is very nice especially as a DD. The CTS-V is just a notch or two above in probably all catagories. The supercharged STS is not an LS base motor (I don't think), its the Northstar engine family which I don't know too much about. The STI/EVO/WRX stuff is way too easy to turn into a hot rod and become a second money pit, I'd stear clear of that stuff altogether. I don't speak Bimmer so I couldn't do that either. The Vette's are nice, no doubt, but I don't think I'd want to DD a Vette, but I don't live in California either so that might have something to do with it.

Good luck, there is no better time to buy than right now. If your in a strong position you can name your price on probably just about any of those cars on the list. Those bitten by the economy are practically giving stuff away.

That's my 0.38 cents
Rob Hood
My vote is the G8GT, but keep in mind how much it will cost to operate the car (increased insurance cost, fuel cost) vs the current vehicle (style and girl appeal notwithstanding) and how that will impact the race budget.

Also, I think gas will go back up this summer - maybe not as high as 2008, but probably back to the 3.xx range. Might not hurt to look at some econobox either perhaps?
tonycook
I'm a special a-hole with the BMW DD. I really like the car. Comfortable, great brakes, handles great, plenty of go. Mine is a 03 M3 SMG. SMG is a matter of taste and does take getting used to.

Tony
BigEnos
QUOTE (Rob Hood @ Feb 8 2009, 09:38 PM) *
My vote is the G8GT, but keep in mind how much it will cost to operate the car (increased insurance cost, fuel cost) vs the current vehicle (style and girl appeal notwithstanding) and how that will impact the race budget.

Also, I think gas will go back up this summer - maybe not as high as 2008, but probably back to the 3.xx range. Might not hurt to look at some econobox either perhaps?

Careful of the G8 GTs you see used. Some of them have been rentals.

CTS-V is great. I have a 2007 Mustang, but I often think I should have gotten a used -V instead.
roadracetransam
how about this:
'05 Audi S4 4.2 V8 AWD $17000
gopanoz
If you are single and looking for a vehicle that increases your attractivness, then BMW is way to go. 99% of all women think bmw is like awseome, like you know hehe. Getting it will increase your odds of getting lucky by 1%. That is more than the other cars.

But for a dd and usefulness g8 ctsv and bmw get decent mpg, are all comfortable, good handling and acceleration. can carry 4 race tires easily.
trackbird
QUOTE (roadracetransam @ Feb 8 2009, 11:10 PM) *
how about this:

Neat car, but I've had several items in the VW (VW/Audi) family and I'd run far away from those. They are expensive and seem to demand monetary sacrifices to the god of "going anywhere at all" on a regular basis. smile.gif
MarkT
Some great deals can be had on C5s that are still in awesome shape. Even I have pondered them.

350Z? Nice lil car, and with the 370Zs coming soon their prices could see some downward pressure.

I'm weird in that I am looking for a tow rig and most likely a crotch rocket so my tastes in DDs are all screwed up right now.
nape
'90s Saturn wagon. Dirt cheap, it'll haul a short block or a rear end and two transmissions, and take off-ramps at 50mph while getting 30mpg wink.gif

Quite lacking in the HP department though. I almost got wood in my buddy's Hemi 1500 pickup the other day...
roadracetransam
QUOTE (nape @ Feb 9 2009, 12:42 AM) *
'90s Saturn wagon. Dirt cheap, it'll haul a short block or a rear end and two transmissions, and take off-ramps at 50mph while getting 30mpg wink.gif

Quite lacking in the HP department though. I almost got wood in my buddy's Hemi 1500 pickup the other day...

I already got a shity car........
KeithO
Every time I check the weight of the GTO's, it turns me off. Maybe it's just me.

I also have owned a BMW and liked it quite a bit. It had it's own "ism"s just like GM cars that you have to get used to but it was reliable and fun-to-drive.

C6 - $$$

C5 - Yes, the Z06 is worth the extra cash. Remember, stock LS1 versus Z06 +400/400 hp/tq plus upgraded brakes and suspension. You can't upgrade a C5 doing the work yourself for the price difference on the market. Right now the C5 is probably the best deal out there if it is large enough for your DD requirements. I have been looking at them seriously myself recently. Also, since it's GM it will have all the things that you are used to being pissed off about. I think a Vette would be more interesting to the fairer sex than a BMW. Maybe I am just old.

350Z is an interesting choice. I don't know much about them but if I were in your position, I would at least try to drive one before including/excluding them.

I still think the LS1/LT1 f-body in good condition is the best value out there. Cheap, lots of power, reliable but I think the girl appeal might not be there. Dunno, I haven't been on the market for a long time.
mitchntx
Of the cars listed and being a DD ... CTS-V

2 reasons ... it's an oddity and a Caddi. So it hold it's value.

2nd is, it's a Caddi, so the chances of it being a flog and dog-mobile are pretty low.
sgarnett
Ignoring, of course, women who actually care about driving:

Women in dresses or heels hate Vettes, F-bodies, or anything else with a decent seating position. I think this (along with the huge blind overhangs) is a big reason the Mustang won.

Of the cars I've owned, the old MGB had the most double-X appeal by far, though a cute friend does tend to giggle a lot at every throttle movement when she rides in the Camaro.

For a convertible, the wind in a Miata isn't bad. Supposedly, leaving one and only one window up (passenger side, of course) makes a huge difference for some reason. I can't confirm this, since I'm just too cool to drive a convertible with the top down and a window up biggrin.gif Actually, I just like the wind.

Chicks with long hair don't appreciate the wind in their hair nearly as much as I do. The wind in a convertible mostly flows forward.

A local autocross couple has been competing in C4s all along. When the husband decided to get an STS2 Miata (ST classes are where the growth is here), the wife announced that he could go rainbow if he wanted to, but she was keeping her Vette.

I gotta admit, I like the chicks in the Caddy commercials. I assume if I buy the CTS-V I'll get the hot chicks who like Kansas-city ribeye and recommend "quality time with a different sort of woman" smile.gif

This is now all academic, of course. I have a Silverado, MGB, Miata, and Z28. Being married, it doesn't make one bit of difference which I drive.

Driving the Z28 and the Miata both put a smile on my face for different reasons. I live sort of in the country, so I do enjoy most of my commute. I'll just throw out that you can get LSx conversion kits for the Miata (or even turn-key cars) banana.gif I've looked at an LS1 RX7, and it actually fits better in that car than it does in the Camaro, dang it! I could actually see all eight spark plugs.
v7guy
Do you list only cars for a reason?

I would suggest an SUV or truck personally. They get a bit less mileage than a RWD V8 car but have a lot of usefulness. Unless you have one already.
roadracetransam
QUOTE (v7guy @ Feb 9 2009, 11:09 AM) *
Do you list only cars for a reason?

I would suggest an SUV or truck personally. They get a bit less mileage than a RWD V8 car but have a lot of usefulness. Unless you have one already.

I was thinking about SUV/Truck for a little bit out of necessity, towing to and from track, but than decided that for the 7-8 times a year I can rent a u-haul pick up an be done with it. But now it looks like I won't be needing that either, since my pending ex-wife (with the Suburban) moved to Richmond as well, I can borrow the 'burb the few times I will need it. Also, I won't need a back seat to transport the kids, since they come with the SUV/child seat package when they are with me.
I am not a big fan of driving around in trucks. I prefer coupes an sedans.
BigEnos
As far as attracting women, run away from 'vettes. Too much stigma.

We had a 2001 330xi, great car. The '04-ish 2wd 3-series with the 18" wheels are the ones to get (ZHP package). Suede steering wheel and often alcantara seats. Chicks dig 'em and they are fun to drive. Never had any problems with ours, either, other than my wife being in a jaguar/silverado sandwich. She was rear-ended by a jag going posted limit at least (65mph) and she was sitting still. After the accident she crawled out the pass. side and called me. Yeah, I'd buy a BMW again.

BMW crash Pictures

Note imprint of receiver hitch in front of car.
GaryK
QUOTE (roadracetransam @ Feb 8 2009, 11:10 PM) *
how about this:

You have a lot of choices out there around your price range. I just sold my '01 S4, and I miss it already. I've thought about one like you listed here, as I think it would be a great year round DD. I really liked my old S4 in that it didn't really matter much what the weather was like, I knew I could get home. That might not be of concern to you though. Either way, I really like the Audi's for fun, comfortable, year round car.

I'm having a hard time not buying something to replace the S4. I did buy a Camaro, but that's not even close for a DD. I only drive 1.5 miles to work, and maybe 10k miles per year right now. So I have a hard time justifying a 'nice' DD. Something else I've considered that you might look into is a BWM E39 M5. I'm seeing some smokin' deals on those right now.
Beach Cruiser
I drive my WS6 most of the time as my DD, My wife drives a C6. I would prefer the WS6 over the vette any day for a DD. Extreme weather or the need to haul stuff around we also have 4Runner. The new G8's are pretty nice as well as the caddi's, Also what are you thoughts on the new Camaro? I had the chance to check it out in person in January, and I really like it. The SS will have an LSx motor in it if the 300hp V6 isn't enough for you.
roadracetransam
QUOTE (Beach Cruiser @ Feb 9 2009, 01:17 PM) *
I drive my WS6 most of the time as my DD, My wife drives a C6. I would prefer the WS6 over the vette any day for a DD. Extreme weather or the need to haul stuff around we also have 4Runner. The new G8's are pretty nice as well as the caddi's, Also what are you thoughts on the new Camaro? I had the chance to check it out in person in January, and I really like it. The SS will have an LSx motor in it if the 300hp V6 isn't enough for you.

oh yes the camaro.... I am a big f-body fan... I always had one since I was 17. BUT, this new one is just too ugly from the inside and not pretty enough from the outside. It really has to grow on me, but it won't grow on me enough to buy one new off a dealer lot, especially since they will probably be in the $30000 range.
I am starting to think about the BMW's at least enough to test drive a few. I will have to be impressed since the last 10 cars I bought were all GM products.
nape
QUOTE (roadracetransam @ Feb 9 2009, 12:00 AM) *

Shitty DDs = more money for racing.

My new 9" is going to cost more then I've spent on the car + maintenance in the last year... blink.gif
StanIROCZ
QUOTE (nape @ Feb 9 2009, 10:45 PM) *

Ditto. I paid 4k for my S10 and that was the most expensive car I've ever owned. (edit: except now I easily put that into the camaro every year)

Before that was an 90 buick Lesabre that I got for $1500. I loved that car and want another. It had 285,000 miles on it when it got stolen out front of my house. If you can find a low mile car like this that was pamperd by grandma, that is a gold mine my friend. Get it and drive the piss out of it. You're a racer, you don't need a pimpy DD. YOU GOT A TRANS AM, MAN!
roadracetransam
QUOTE (StanIROCZ @ Feb 9 2009, 11:18 PM) *

Ditto. I paid 4k for my S10 and that was the most expensive car I've ever owned. (edit: except now I easily put that into the camaro every year)

Before that was an 90 buick Lesabre that I got for $1500. I loved that car and want another. It had 285,000 miles on it when it got stolen out front of my house. If you can find a low mile car like this that was pamperd by grandma, that is a gold mine my friend. Get it and drive the piss out of it. You're a racer, you don't need a pimpy DD. YOU GOT A TRANS AM, MAN!

I do have a trans am.... it is sitting on a trailer.... I am tired of driving a beater to and from work everyday....
BigEnos
QUOTE (roadracetransam @ Feb 9 2009, 11:54 PM) *
QUOTE (StanIROCZ @ Feb 9 2009, 11:18 PM) *

I do have a trans am.... it is sitting on a trailer.... I am tired of driving a beater to and from work everyday....

I'm with you there. I had some beaters over the years and I just got sick of it. My only advice is resist the urge to go crazy (new car, C6 vette, etc) and get a cool used car (BMW 330, CTS-V, etc.).
Eskimo
as a daily driver, I think I'd enjoy being coddled by the CTS-V, and yet with the 6-speed and LS2, it'll still move out with authority...

Oh hell, does this mean I'm growing up?
pknowles
I had 4 vehicles at one time and I got tired of paying insurance on having so many vehicles when most of them just ended up sitting. Plus the ones that sit are the nice ones. I need a truck to pull the race car. The fuel I waste driving my truck back and forth to work costs me the same amount of money as just insuring some 35mpg eco beater (and I have a perfect driving record). Not even including the maintenance cost, purchase price, and all that. If you have a race car, trailer it to events, and don't commute more then 80 miles a day round trip, you can't beat using the truck (a vehicle you already have and need) for a DD. Besides if I didn't DD the truck, I don't think I could ever wear one out.
KeithO
In case it's interesting, I have two daily drivers. A 2001 Tahoe that has served as my tow vehicle but I am race-carless at the moment. It is the default car and great in bad weather. 118k miles, no problems ever, spacious, comfortable and you can take it anywhere. The other DD is a track prepped, street-legal 1997 WS6. I only DD drive this in nice weather and at autox/track events.

I like 'em both for different reasons and uses. The market value of both of these are probably still within your budget and if you choose your insurance options carefully, insuring these two vehicles might not cost a whole lot different than a high-profile, single car.

When taking the wife on "a date" - hard to call it that with a high-mileage relationship - I let her choose as part of the date. She picks one based on her mood... ...and it wasn't my decision if she chose poorly (married guys will get that attitude!).

Reading this thead, I realized that I am exceptionally happy with my DD situation and wouldn't change a thing. Best of both worlds and neither are beaters because they are well-maintained. Maybe this approach might appeal to you, too. Dunno.
nape
QUOTE (roadracetransam @ Feb 9 2009, 10:54 PM) *

That's why a 200k mile 5 spd SOHC Saturn wagon is great. It's fun because you can beat the piss out of it, and it doesn't have enough HP to hurt itself. You get the illusion of going fast, because your foot is always on the floor. I even get to practice race craft in every commute. My 2nd gear synchros are out, so I have to double clutch the 3-2 shift unless I want to come off the corner like grandma.

Someone did a hit and run on it last winter. 3 months watching ebay, and I had a correct color rear quarter panel for ~$100 shipped and it took me 2 hours to replace it. Oh, and cops don't give it a second look because they expect some old man to be driving it taking Fluffy to the park... as long as you have hub caps on it. Without hub caps, they think you're from the ghetto.

AND! You can fit two 8ft ladders plus tools in it.

Cars that you really don't care about have the best stories 2thumbs.gif
00 SS
QUOTE (StanIROCZ @ Feb 9 2009, 09:18 PM) *

I just got my grandmothers '88 Park Avenue. 87K miles and in pretty good shape when I picked it up in October. I've been fixing the few little things it needed. The only thing left is to figure out how the get the heater to work better. It might need a heater core. Everything else is working now. It drives great and has tons of room. I now have 94K on it. I'll probably keep it for quite a while, the kids even like it. My commute is 35 miles each way mostly highway, and that it what this car seems to do best.

I forgot how much fun it can be to poke through junk yards looking for odds and ends.
Applejack
I really love my '06 GTO. It's better all the time and keeps looking better and better. You should be looking for the 18" wheels only though.
LT4Firehawk
Big question, how bad are your local roads? If they are less than average or bad, then a C5/C6 with MRC (magnetic ride control) would be my first choice. While I love my Firehawk, the roads out here just keep getting worse and worse, and having a car with an adjustable electronic suspension is great (our DD is a 04 Volvo V70R with "skyhook" suspension). Another fun option might be a Saturn Sky (Pontiac Solstice, but I like the Saturn better). Get the sport version (redline for Saturn) and you get a 260HP, 3000lb 2 seat roadster that every woman I talk to just love. Plus you can get an ECU tune from GMPP that brings it up to almost 300HP.

Of course, the 3 series and the CTS-V are both nice as well, but why buy a 4 door/4 seater if you don't need it? Everyone should own a 2 seater at least once.

As to women not liking Vettes, my wife loves them, and so do most other women I've ever asked about it (I've owned two, a C4 and a C5 Z06). I think a lot of it has more to do with your attitude when you own one. If you act like the Vette should be a chick magnet, well, you're probably going to be flying solo. If you keep your head straight, and be honest with the women that you like fun cars, then most will appreciate it. As to the C5 Z06, if you've got decent roads, these are definitely a great deal right now. Excellent car, with very few weak points as a DD, BUT, I still think I'd go for a regular C5 coupe over the Z06 for a DD, mainly due to more cargo space, and the ability to get the MRC for times when you feel like just cruising with a comfortable ride.
z28bryan
I owned a 2005 STI for like 6-7 months and sold it because I couldn't stand the ride quality. I also test drove a 2008 STI recently to see if the ride quality had improved as people were saying, though it felt about the same to me. The STI feels very comfortable on nice roads (my first test drive was on nice roads). I live in New England btw

I did buy a 2009 WRX recently though. I read that they improved it from the crappy boring 2008 model. I really like it so far. It feels almost as fast as my 2005 STI did. I also got the hatchback... been on a hatchback kick lately wink.gif. I like that the newer gens have full window framed doors. It's also more comfortable than my camaro is on koni/strano combo, and I haven't been able to say that about many cars because the Camaro on this combo is VERY comfortable. My only complaint is my right foot resting position can get uncomfortable. On my Camaro I can rest the weight of my foot completely without flooring it. The WRX I can't.

I really like 4th gen ls1 cars and if they were more available around the area, I probably would have gone for a WS6

Women aren't a factor... I buy the car I want to buy for the reasons that I like it. Then again I'm not married so I'm sure this will change in the future smile.gif
matt f
so what's it gonna be?
roadracetransam
QUOTE (matt f @ Mar 5 2009, 03:27 PM) *
so what's it gonna be?

well i was going to buy a v-type day before yesterday, but the sales dude was a d**k, did not want to work the deal i was proposing
so i am looking for either a m3 or another v-type i like, which ever comes up first
JKnight
I just discovered that you can by the Z4 based M Coupes for low to mid 30s. If I was in the market, I'd be terribly tempted by one. Here's one in Del Mar (reserve not met, but I can't imagine it's much more than $30k):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-M-Roads...5fCarsQ5fTrucks

or "ticket me" red that's just a road trip away from your driveway:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u...mp;rdpage=thumb

Of course these cars are pretty much love 'em or hate 'em in the looks department.

Jason
roadracetransam
QUOTE (JKnight @ Mar 5 2009, 05:12 PM) *
I just discovered that you can by the Z4 based M Coupes for low to mid 30s. If I was in the market, I'd be terribly tempted by one. Here's one in Del Mar (reserve not met, but I can't imagine it's much more than $30k):

Of course these cars are pretty much love 'em or hate 'em in the looks department.

Jason

I am not a fan of that look. Thanks for looking BTW.
CrashTestDummy
Ew.

QUOTE (JKnight @ Mar 5 2009, 04:12 PM) *

Jason
rpoz-29
After reading through all of this, I realize that my DD started out as a new car, and has become a beater.
00 SS
Well, that's not a bad thing. That probably means you got your monies worth out of it.
JustinID
I'm late to the game and it's already been (sort of) mentioned... but I like the idea of picking up a 3rd gen RX7 for ~12k. It's relatively inexpensive, good power, great handling, and when you decide you want to do something different (or you break the engine), drop an LSx with a 6 speed into it.
rpoz-29
I've done it twice. A '73 Vega GT I bought new, and drove until 1987, (and still own), and a 1987 4Runner I'm still driving. If I was going to buy a new car right now, I think it would be a Cobalt SS, or a Colorado 5.3 V-8.
rpoz-29
There's an '05 Chevy SSR at Royal Chevrolet in Richmond. The ad says it's an automatic, but it looks like a manual shifter, and has a tiny brake pedal if it is. Saw it on CL. I'm just throwing it out there.
matt f
I may turn my SS into my DD, after I get a Z06.
codename Bil Doe
Base model Cobalt. It gets 31mpg city, 40+ freeway if you baby it, and you can practice double-clutching on the way to work. Also doubles as a great drift car for autox when it rains.

00 Trans Ram
I did the "mpg DD" with an 06 Saturn Ion. I even sprang for the 2.4L engine with 180hp. Despite the leather, sunroof and real wheels, it was still "just transportation".

I got rid of it an bought a G8GT. I may own this car for a decade. It's easily, hands-down, no doubt the best DD I've ever driven. I'm comparing it to BMW 330i, BMW 745i, MB CLS550, Cadillac CTS-V and Audi S4. I've driven all of them for at least a week as DDs (borrowed friend's and family's rides to test them out).

At 362hp and 380tq, it has plenty of power for highway and city. Heck, I've put mine on the track, and didn't want for power.

The exterior styling satisfies even my most critical critics - guys who own Audi and BMWs and think they're the best things since sliced bread. In fact, most people at gas stations mistake my car for something German.

The interior styling is great, too. Nice modern radio with a large, full-color LCD screen. Satellite radio available on 09s (I just plugged in a separate unit in my 08). Seats rival anything from Germany. More rear seat room than a BMW 7-series - heck, there's more room back there than most mini-vans (no joke)! Yeah, there's some plastic, but it's not like the plastic is trying to masquerade as something else. It's textured very nicely, so it appears correct.

It has the L98, which is basically an LS2 with Displacement-On-Demand (or whatever they call it these days). I get 20mpg combined, but I've got a 20lb anvil for a right foot. When babying it, I've gotten 30mpg highway and 23 city.

I haven't modded mine, yet. G8-specific parts are somewhat expensive. But, it uses the same suspension and other bits from the Camaro. Once those parts come on the market, prices will fall.
koserv
Some (more) food for thought.....

I've got two DD's in the garage that meet your specs...big V8, tons of fun, chick magnets....a 65 Buick Wildcat convertible and a 67 GS400 rag top. As long as you don't need a 70 'Cuda, the bang for the buck factor is huge right now in the muscle car market. Not the best handling rides on the planet, but they turn heads every time I'm on the road. I'm thinking about putting a modern front end and disk brakes on the GS, and , humm, wait a minute....I just swapped motors in the race car...once I get the old LT1, rebuilt I wonder how it would look in the GS....

KO
roadracetransam
So, here is my update.
I got a '05 Audi S4.
340hp 4.2L V8 AWD 6speed auto. I rather got a manual but this one was too good of a deal to pass up. It was a bit of a impulse buy at the end. I walked by it, took it for a test drive, even before I knew the price or what is under the hood. When I came back I was told 17k. Sold.
Beach Cruiser
Not a bad choice, and if you get the racing bug, I think it's an FS car to boot...
cccbock
QUOTE (00 Trans Ram @ Mar 6 2009, 04:11 PM) *
I got rid of it an bought a G8GT. I may own this car for a decade. It's easily, hands-down, no doubt the best DD I've ever driven. I'm comparing it to BMW 330i, BMW 745i, MB CLS550, Cadillac CTS-V and Audi S4. I've driven all of them for at least a week as DDs (borrowed friend's and family's rides to test them out).

At 362hp and 380tq, it has plenty of power for highway and city. Heck, I've put mine on the track, and didn't want for power.

The exterior styling satisfies even my most critical critics - guys who own Audi and BMWs and think they're the best things since sliced bread. In fact, most people at gas stations mistake my car for something German.

The interior styling is great, too. Nice modern radio with a large, full-color LCD screen. Satellite radio available on 09s (I just plugged in a separate unit in my 08). Seats rival anything from Germany. More rear seat room than a BMW 7-series - heck, there's more room back there than most mini-vans (no joke)! Yeah, there's some plastic, but it's not like the plastic is trying to masquerade as something else. It's textured very nicely, so it appears correct.

It has the L98, which is basically an LS2 with Displacement-On-Demand (or whatever they call it these days). I get 20mpg combined, but I've got a 20lb anvil for a right foot. When babying it, I've gotten 30mpg highway and 23 city.

I haven't modded mine, yet. G8-specific parts are somewhat expensive. But, it uses the same suspension and other bits from the Camaro. Once those parts come on the market, prices will fall.

Just passing by here and adding something:

The G8 GT is really nice and for those seeking daily drivers that might not follow this too close, the G8 GXP is due out "any day now" as well as the new Camaro (which most of us will want in SS trim).

These cars have very similar running gear based on the GM Holden guts underneath, and both have the LS3 (not LS2) putting out over 400hp (415 in the GXP, 422 in the Camaro) and both are available with 6 speed manual. Depending on your needs, that's some serious performance even in a big heavy car.

I'm dreaming about it a lot......

Bock
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.