Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wilwood 6 piston setup. Keep or send back?
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > General Discussion
fasteddiewick
Need to make a quick decision. Bought a used Wilwood 6 piston front set up and a reg. rear wilwood brakes with bracket set up for my camaro on Ebay. Spent 550.00 with shipping. He threw in the spindles also. Even though he was driving on them before the WRECK, the local Porterfield race rep said I should replace all rotors. The seller said he had about 10K of back East driving on the setup. He said the calipers worked fine.
Looking at the cost of replacing the rotors. 900.00 and still unsure of the calipers. Again he did say they worked fine?
He has offered to send my money back less the shipping 160.00 for both ways.

What would you guys do. Do I send all of it back and eat the 160.00 or is it still good enought setup to replace the rotors and hope the best on the caliper. I could alway rebuilt them. Does anyone know if those caliper have issues with 10K and rebuilds?

I know a lot of questions. But the guy does sound like a decent guy and I do not want to string him along one way or the other.
Any quick help/advise would be appreicated.
Ed
Note: These brakes were to upgrade a 94 camaro ex SCCA AS car that I was planning to do some HPDE and maybe an open road race car/Silver state 160 MPH car.
sgarnett
How bad was the wreck, and where was the damage? If the crash was likely to have damaged the rotors (or if the rims were damaged in the wreck), I'd be worried the spindles.
trackbird
Beyond the points Sean brought up (which are very good ones), I can say that:

I ran a set of Wilwood 6 piston calipers that I bought used (and not lightly used either) from EugenioSS here on the board. He ran them hard and often and I turned rotors purple with them running autocross events. They are now on LS1plus's car (here on the board) and I know he's used them at speeds approaching the high 180 mph range. I don't know how many street miles are on them now, but I'm going to think 40,000-50,000 miles. They are still going strong. If everything looks straight, there is a good chance it will live a long, happy life.
prockbp
There is absolutely NO reason to be scared into buying new rotors.

Check them out. Put them on a surface plate. Why can't you have them turned? It would be very easy to see if they are bent out of shape once they are on the lathe. You can also use penatrant testing to check for cracks. But I seriously doubt that the accident would have caused cracks. Extreme heat cycling is more likely to be the cause of that.
Blainefab
QUOTE (fasteddiewick @ Feb 15 2009, 01:41 PM) *
Need to make a quick decision. Bought a used Wilwood 6 piston front set up and a reg. rear wilwood brakes with bracket set up for my camaro on Ebay. Spent 550.00 with shipping. He threw in the spindles also. Even though he was driving on them before the WRECK, the local Porterfield race rep said I should replace all rotors. The seller said he had about 10K of back East driving on the setup. He said the calipers worked fine.
Looking at the cost of replacing the rotors. 900.00 and still unsure of the calipers. Again he did say they worked fine?
He has offered to send my money back less the shipping 160.00 for both ways.

What would you guys do. Do I send all of it back and eat the 160.00 or is it still good enought setup to replace the rotors and hope the best on the caliper. I could alway rebuilt them. Does anyone know if those caliper have issues with 10K and rebuilds?

I know a lot of questions. But the guy does sound like a decent guy and I do not want to string him along one way or the other.
Any quick help/advise would be appreicated.
Ed
Note: These brakes were to upgrade a 94 camaro ex SCCA AS car that I was planning to do some HPDE and maybe an open road race car/Silver state 160 MPH car.

I'd be more concerned about the calipers if they have the cast lug style of mount. Are the rotors 2pc with aluminum hats? I would inspect calipers closely for any contact marks, spin rotors for runout, check spindles for bends (search frrax for howto). If everything checks out I'd replace all hardware with the proper grade, and keep them. What brackets are used? The brackets tend to be the weak point of aftermarket brake kits - the Trackbrackets are the state of the art but not set up for Wilwoods.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.