Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: California to reduce carbon emissions by... banning black cars?!
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > General Discussion
trackbird
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/25/califor...ing-black-cars/

Found that on another board this morning. I think it's finally time to load up the trailers and get off of the island. Wow. banghead.gif

In a move that will likely get California's consumers in a huff, impending legislation may soon restrict the paint color options for Golden State residents looking for their next new vehicle. The specific colors that are currently on the chopping block are all dark hues, with the worst offender seemingly the most innocuous color you could think of: Black. What could California possibly have against these colors, you ask? Apparently, the California Air Resources Board figures that the climate control systems of dark colored cars need to work harder than their lighter siblings – especially after sitting in the sun for a few hours. Anyone living in a hot, sunny climate will tell you that this assumption is accurate, of course. In fact, legislation already exists for buildings that has proven successful at reducing the energy consumption of skyscrapers.

So, what's the crux of the problem... can't paint suppliers just come up with new, less heat-absorbent dark paints? According to Ward's, suppliers have reportedly been testing their pigments and processes to see if it's possible to meet CARB's proposed mandate of 20% solar reflectivity by 2016 with a phase-in period starting in 2012, and things aren't looking good. Apparently, when the proper pigments and chemicals are added to black paint, the resulting color is currently being referred to as "mud-puddle brown." That doesn't sound very attractive, now does it? Windshields, backlights and sunroofs are also slated to get reflective coatings starting in 2012.

When we first heard of this issue, an internal debate immediately began as to whether this might be an elaborate early April Fool's joke, but it isn't.
Eskimo
bwwaaahahaha

Kommie Kali..

Glad I live at the far opposite end of the country...
sgarnett
QUOTE (trackbird @ Mar 26 2009, 08:05 AM) *
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/25/califor...ing-black-cars/

Found that on another board this morning. I think it's finally time to load up the trailers and get off of the island. Wow. banghead.gif

Wow!

I gotta admit, I never want another black car. It's not a good color for a gravel driveway smile.gif
pknowles
Not sure if they will ban black cars, but I could see Cali taxing you for your dark colored car (ala cap and trade) to increase state revenue.
00 Trans Ram
OK, I'm not an engineer, but I did drive by a Holiday Inn Express last night.

It says that "climate control systems have to work harder to cool the cars". I'm not sure I agree, and here's why:

99.9% of people run their A/C all the time. If the car is hot, it's on. Once the car gets comfy, they turn down the fan, but it's still on. Even when it's cold and they're using the heater, that little, blue "A/C" button is still pushed in. That means that the compressor is engaged. Everything I've ever learned about HVAC systems says that the comrpessor is the part that sucks power from the engine. The fans are electric, so they do nothing but suck a few amps/watts/volts/whatever which the alternator is already producing.

Now, I daresay that the same amount of people driving white cars leave their A/C button "on" while driving as those in black cars. So, they're sucking the same amount of power from the engine. I'll buy that the guy in the white car has his fan on "low", while the guy in the black car has it on "high" - but they are both consuming the same amount of energy from the engine.

So, if both cars are wasting the same amount of energy, why is the black car being punished?
Todd
reinforcing the notion that those in charge on the left coast have been out in the sun too long...
Eskimo
QUOTE (00 Trans Ram @ Mar 26 2009, 09:41 AM) *
that little, blue "A/C" button is still pushed in. That means that the compressor is engaged. Everything I've ever learned about HVAC systems says that the comrpessor is the part that sucks power from the engine. The fans are electric, so they do nothing but suck a few amps/watts/volts/whatever which the alternator is already producing.

Well, kinda.. The compressor does cycle on and off, and the alternator does put more load on the engine depending on how much amperage it's being asked to produce.

Wasn't it Mythbusters that showed that the white car wasn't really that much cooler than the black car though? something like less than 10° when the interior was over 140 on both cars...

Thing is, 2 identical cars really only have the roof panel heating the interior... In the case of an f-body (Here's the f-body content!), especially one with t-tops, I can practically cover all the painted surface that goes over the interior with a single piece of masking tape! our cars are all glass! tongue.gif
sgarnett
It's a common misconception that electricity is free in a car. The current through the fans directly increases the load that the alternator imposes on the engine. There's no free lunch. It is true, however, that electric fans don't rev up with the engine, so their load is more constant than mechanical fans (when they are on).
CMC #37
QUOTE (Todd @ Mar 26 2009, 09:03 AM) *
reinforcing the notion that those in charge on the left coast have been out in the sun too long...

And that a good many other states have been in the ice too long! wink.gif The chance that this actually makes it to legislation is pretty much like you guys surfing anytime soon. 2thumbs.gif
patred
Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay. biggrin.gif

Pat
CMC #37
QUOTE (patred @ Mar 26 2009, 10:56 AM) *
Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay. biggrin.gif

Pat

rotf.gif
CrashTestDummy
They have hundreds of unemployed living in a tent city in downtown Sacramento, they are sending state taxpayers due a refund IOUs, and laying off state workers at an alarming rate, and THIS is all they can think of to work on?

I think there are some folks in Sacrament who need to pee in a cup!

Wow, just, wow.

They should write a law that says you can't back out of the driveway before verifying all of your tires are properly-inflated. THAT would probably do more to reduce fuel consumption than the color of your car. ID10t's!
trackbird
Mandatory tire pressure inspections? We can divide cars by color. Blue cars on Monday (blue monday....bwhahahahahah....), red on Tuesday, Green on Thursday, Silver on Friday and other colors (except black, because there will be NO black cars) on the weekend.

Brilliant!
firehawkclone
This kind of thing goes on all the time here, some kind of hair brain idea all the time.

Between the "Yuppie's" "Hippie's" and the dam tree huggers in this state i can't even burn a fire place!

I have to leave room in the sky for the dozon farmer's a week(just in my county) to burn acre's of trees instead of turning them into mulch.

Pretty soon they will tax me on each flush becuase of the polltion it produces rotf.gif ph34r.gif
Mean Green Z28
how about disabling the A/C on white cars? lol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.