Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5th Gen Shenanigans
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > General Discussion
cccbock
I was thinking about going to look for a new Camaro tomorrow...just looking for fun. I decided to do a little internet googling and found the following info:

I discovered my local dealer (Palm Gainesville) was to receive a black SS 6 speed. I'm thinking Cool...cant wait.

I located the VIN online and tracked down the car. The dealer website does not show that they have the car.

I dig a little deeper and discover that the SOB's put the car up on Ebay and sold it already...before it even arrived at the lot.

Sticker was 34k (ish) and the Ebay auction indicates it was sold for 41K (ish). My math is pretty bad but that looks like about a 20% markup over MSRP.

Is it just me, or does this seem just wrong.

bock
marka
Howdy,

QUOTE (cccbock @ May 3 2009, 12:15 AM) *
I was thinking about going to look for a new Camaro tomorrow...just looking for fun. I decided to do a little internet googling and found the following info:

I discovered my local dealer (Palm Gainesville) was to receive a black SS 6 speed. I'm thinking Cool...cant wait.

I located the VIN online and tracked down the car. The dealer website does not show that they have the car.

I dig a little deeper and discover that the SOB's put the car up on Ebay and sold it already...before it even arrived at the lot.

Sticker was 34k (ish) and the Ebay auction indicates it was sold for 41K (ish). My math is pretty bad but that looks like about a 20% markup over MSRP.

bock

Eh, "market adjustments" aren't anything new. I can't imagine ever being willing to pay them, but stupid people overpay for shit all the time, so why should cars be any different?

If you can't buy a new camaro for invoice in 6 months, I'll be _completely_ amazed.

Mark
rhit_rs
My father was at our local GM dealer this week picking up some parts and noticed one being unloaded off the truck. After further inquiry he found out that the dealer is supposed to put it in the showroom with a cover over it until May 20th at which time they can take the cover off and unveil it. Having a good relationship with the dealer, my parents asked and were able to sit in the car and take a good look at it before they put it in the showroom and covered it up. Unfortunately it was only a 6-cyl auto, but they said it looked nice. The dealer was planning to sell it for MSRP, which was around $28k for that particular one.
trackbird

bock

As much as I'd love to say "yup, sure is wrong", I can't. Dealers are in business to make money and if people are willing to pay insane prices for something they have, then they are more than willing to take their money. It's business. Supply and demand (and the occasional collection of fools with money) will win every time.

Remember when the GTO came out? I saw guys paying a $7k markup on them. 6 months later you could buy one under invoice, or pretty close to it. There will always be hot cars, and more importantly, there will always be the potential for an "idiot tax". As long as fools have money, someone will be working to seperate them from it.
ibzeus1987z
me me me.. I plan on being 1 of those "fools" too !!
I want a white one (of course) smile.gif
I would prefer 1 of the v8 models but I hear the new v6
will make @ 400hp and can pretty well snap your neck LoL
and gets something like 28mpg. Sounds good to me.
cccbock
QUOTE (ibzeus1987z @ May 3 2009, 05:08 AM) *

Pretty sure the V6 is rated at 300ish at the flywheel. Still stout for a 6 cyl, but def not 400.
bock
cccbock
QUOTE (trackbird @ May 3 2009, 01:26 AM) *

bock

As much as I'd love to say "yup, sure is wrong", I can't. Dealers are in business to make money and if people are willing to pay insane prices for something they have, then they are more than willing to take their money. It's business. Supply and demand (and the occasional collection of fools with money) will win every time.

Remember when the GTO came out? I saw guys paying a $7k markup on them. 6 months later you could buy one under invoice, or pretty close to it. There will always be hot cars, and more importantly, there will always be the potential for an "idiot tax". As long as fools have money, someone will be working to seperate them from it.

Well yeah, of course you are right. I think most of us understand supply and demand...and that the dealer should surely be allowed to charge whatever they can get for the car. Its the American way. Im just pissed off they cant keep the car around a little while to at least show it....heck I might have bought one for 41K after I saw and drove it......

I am aware there are SOME dealers that will sell the first cars at MSRP. They still make a decent profit on the car at MSRP. Any way, I hope they sell millions of them if for no other reason than I don't want the US govt telling GM what they can sell in the future.

We shall see.

bock
Eskimo
QUOTE (cccbock @ May 3 2009, 08:54 AM) *
They still make a decent profit on the car at MSRP. Any way, I hope they sell millions of them if for no other reason than I don't want the US govt telling GM what they can sell in the future.

I couldn't agree more. I'm sure if it was up to the lobby groups in DC, GM would produce nothing more than a few pickups, and a variety of boring, gas-sipping FWD econo-hybrids.
00 SS
The two local dealers in my area each have 1. I looked at one on Friday. Yellow v6 auto. They have it out in front of the lot where it can be seen from the highway. When I got close I noticed 2 signs in the windows. One said "NOT FOR SALE" and the other said "ORDER YOURS TODAY". I spoke to the dealer and they are taking orders at MSRP. Sounded like a pretty good plan to me. I almost ordered one, but my check book said no. I think they plan to keep there display car for a few months. They did tell me if I put down a deposit and ordered one, they would let me drive the display car.
C3SS
May want to let them finish getting this one sorted out first...

http://jalopnik.com/5238125/camaro-grilles...g-at-high-speed
codename Bil Doe
Seems like a major oversight considering how long they delayed it with extra focus on details and all the testing they did at Numbergreen. If the Camaro couldn't hit 155 there then it couldn't do it anywhere.
ibzeus1987z
QUOTE (cccbock @ May 3 2009, 08:44 AM) *
QUOTE (ibzeus1987z @ May 3 2009, 05:08 AM) *

Pretty sure the V6 is rated at 300ish at the flywheel. Still stout for a 6 cyl, but def not 400.
bock

honestly.. all I did was snag a few pictures of it for my desktop.. didn't read anything about it smile.gif don't care
I love the looks of it and the 69 rs and ss was all my time fav muscle car.
So 300 or 400 or w/e I don't care..
I won't ever have it over 90 anyway.. if it sees that.
I just want it.... smile.gif

and since now my interest was sparked.. I went searching for an actual HP spec
2thumbs.gif

The base direct-injected 3.6-liter V6 is the same sophisticated engine that's an extra-cost option on the Cadillac CTS luxury sedan.
While the 6.2-liter V8 in the manual-transmission Camaro SS is essentially borrowed from the base Corvette.

Q: What engine will the 2010 Camaro feature?
A: Corvette Inspired 416-HP LS3 Engine 6.2 Liter Aluminum Shell Block V8 and
an available 296-HP Engine Short Star 3.6 Liter Aluminum Shell Block V6.

Impressively, the new Chevy Camaro is an excellent performance-car value whether it's equipped with the base direct-injected V6 or the optional V8. The V6-powered base Camaro can sprint to 60 mph in 6.0 seconds, thanks to 300 horsepower.

The V8-powered Camaro SS with the manual transmission dispenses with 60 mph in a blistering 5.0 seconds -- 426 hp will do that for you -- yet it's considerably cheaper than cars like the BMW 135i and Challenger SRT8 and outperforms the slightly more affordable Mustang GT.

good enough for me biggrin.gif
Visit Camaro Official Website
Breakdown on new Camaro
sgarnett
I'm waiting for the Formula ....
cccbock
QUOTE (sgarnett @ May 4 2009, 06:47 AM) *
I'm waiting for the Formula ....

Patience is a virtue.
bock
mitchntx
Pontiac going away next year would make a 1 year availabilty Pontiac Trans AM a true collectable regardless of the numbers produced.

GM would sell 500,000 of them ...
AllZWay
I talked with our local Chevy dealer/friend and he told me that there would be no way to get a car this year even at over 10k more than sticker. He already had 10+ folks who had put money down years ago in anticipation of the car coming out and all willing to pay 10k over sticker.

He told me to just wait until the next year if I really was interested.
Major_Lee_Slow
Waiting till next year is good advice. I'm sure there will be some teething issues with the new car which will be sorted out by next year. Plus GM has a good habit of increasing power levels from model year to model year, but unfortunately I don't see it getting any lighter.
sgarnett
I was only joking about the Formula. More layoffs have been announced (no surprise), but it could take several months to find out who gets the axe. My area is definitely in the crosshairs.

I wonder if supply is really constrained, or if dealers just under-ordered because of the economy.
cccbock
QUOTE (Major_Lee_Slow @ May 4 2009, 09:40 AM) *
Waiting till next year is good advice. I'm sure there will be some teething issues with the new car which will be sorted out by next year. Plus GM has a good habit of increasing power levels from model year to model year, but unfortunately I don't see it getting any lighter.

Given the current auto climate, I also agree this is good advice, but for a different reason.

At present, the news is not good for GM as a whole and they seemingly are heading the way of Chrysler....which means the morale on the production lines is pure shit (best word for it). Fiat has expressed interest in GM Europe.

The cars (Camaros, and all the rest) they have already made may be it for awhile....I heard a news report that GM may do as Chrysler and completely shut down for the summer (they said 30 to 60 days, but that sounds like the summer to me.) They are negotiating with major creditors now which is often a precursor act to a bankruptcy. I think by this time in 2010, GM will be half the size they are now.

Not to be negative. but if they shutter for the summer, a lot of bad things can happen after that. Not that they will, but they can. Obama already ran Wagoner off....what's next? A VOLT in every driveway perhaps?

Sad situation for us, and GM.... Just think - Ford might soon be number two again, a good ways behind Toyota.

bock
mitchntx
QUOTE (cccbock @ May 4 2009, 09:19 AM) *
a good ways behind Toyota.

bock

Not to side track this too far ...

I see a LOT of rhetoric about buying American instead of Foreign because the profits go over seas to the parent company.
Not arguing that at all.

But, the view from my lawn chair tells me that foreign car manufacturers like Toyota employ thousands of American workers and create thousands more jobs to it's suppliers, jobs that are unavailable anywhere else in the US.

So it's either send a few hundred million to Japan auto-makers or send a few hundred million to those who are unemployed. One way, a few consumers foot the bill and the other way, all the taxpayers foot the bill.

That's an easy decision for me to make ...
codename Bil Doe
I would never buy the first year of any car. There are always glitches/recalls/defects they have to resolve.
cccbock
QUOTE (mitchntx @ May 4 2009, 10:26 AM) *
QUOTE (cccbock @ May 4 2009, 09:19 AM) *
a good ways behind Toyota.

bock

Not to side track this too far ...

I see a LOT of rhetoric about buying American instead of Foreign because the profits go over seas to the parent company.
Not arguing that at all.

But, the view from my lawn chair tells me that foreign car manufacturers like Toyota employ thousands of American workers and create thousands more jobs to it's suppliers, jobs that are unavailable anywhere else in the US.

So it's either send a few hundred million to Japan auto-makers or send a few hundred million to those who are unemployed. One way, a few consumers foot the bill and the other way, all the taxpayers foot the bill.

That's an easy decision for me to make ...

Agreed...and I doubt "a few hundred million" will even scratch the surface. Already gave Chrysler and GM WAY more than that and it didnt help much.

bock
TSHACK
[/quote]
honestly.
I won't ever have it over 90 anyway.. if it sees that.

[/url]
[/quote]

Eather your pulling our legs or you'll be doing 89mph a lot, rotf.gif

My wifey made me an offer, lose to two 87's & the 74 camaro projects & I can get a new one.
I'd think harder about it if we didn't have to deal with the 2 1/4 miles of dirt road any time I go somewhere. rant2.gif
ibzeus1987z
nah.. I drive like a lil old lady smile.gif
really.
the dirt road thing.. grr would reaaaaaaaally irritate me
dang u gotta dump 3 cars for 1 ? hrm.. dirt road you say..
I dunno
BigEnos
QUOTE (C3SS @ May 3 2009, 07:21 PM) *
May want to let them finish getting this one sorted out first...

http://jalopnik.com/5238125/camaro-grilles...g-at-high-speed

Apparently that was an early pre-prod car sent to a tuner for parts development work. The problem was identified and the actual production cars don't seem to have that same issue.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21112
pknowles
Have we learned nothing from the 93 fbody? Don't buy a first year GM car, the second year will be better.
robz71lm7
QUOTE (pknowles @ May 7 2009, 08:45 PM) *
Have we learned nothing from the 93 fbody? Don't buy a first year GM car, the second year will be better.

With the way things are going there may be no second year car. Of course hopefully that's not the case as I'll be in a position to buy an SS within the next year or two.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.