Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need some help w/ Excel
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > General Discussion
GlennCMC70
i use Excel to track season points. i know the every simple stuff like Sum and stuff.
for the final season points tally, i have to go in and manually subtract 20% of the lowest scores for each person.
i want a formula that will automatically drop those scores based on cell or text color for that cell.
i've googled till my eyes are falling out. i've found some stuff, but i just don't know enough about excel to understand it all. i've tried a few examples given w/ no luck.

anyone here able to help?
00 Trans Ram
Glenn - if you want to email it to me at pattersonm at northoaks dot org, I'll be glad to take a look. I'm no savant, but I spend a lot of time with Excel.
StanIROCZ
I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to do, but here are couple suggestions that might help you out.

small - returns the k-th smallest value in a data set
min - returns the smallest value in a data set

using those tools, you can try some trickery.

=SUM(A1:F1)-MIN(A1:F1)*0.2 this would subtract 20% of the smallest score

=SUM(A1:F1)-SMALL(A1:F1,1)*0.2 this gives you the same answer as above since the '1' means the smallest value in the list

=SUM(A1:F1)-SMALL(A1:F1,1)*0.2-SMALL(A1:F1,2)*0.2 this is an add on to above, it subtracts 20% from the smallest and 2nd smallest event

this is how I interpret what you are trying to do, but could be wrong. you should be able to make a slight change to get what you want.
GlennCMC70
basically we get 5 drops per season. i don't know what the best way to do it would be. i was thinking of just marking the 5 lowest finishes in some way to alow the total less drops to be displayed. if you guys know a way for it to be done w/ no required input from me, let me know.

Matthew - email sent.
RedHardSupra
send me the spreadsheet to marcinpohl@gmail.com, i've been doing excel almost on daily basis since mid 90ties wink.gif
GlennCMC70
emails sent. the 2nd one has the file.......
Zeppelin
EDIT: Sorry, that wont work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.