Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Bob Lutz Challenge
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > General Discussion
StanIROCZ
This is interesting:

http://cadillac.gmblogs.com/2009/10/13/may...-win-in-action/

Bobby says bring it on bigun2.gif
BigEnos
Bob is the Man. It takes huge nuts to call out the competition like that, and put yourself in the hot seat.
roostmeyer
He better pray it doesn't toast a diff!
StanIROCZ
QUOTE (roostmeyer @ Oct 14 2009, 04:05 PM) *
He better pray it doesn't toast a diff!

Nah, its got a Getrag diff in it, its good to go wink.gif
00 Trans Ram
Are they fragile on a road course?

I keep trying to think of another car I'd rather have if I were racing on a road course and trying to beat a CTS-V. So far, here's my list:

#1) CTS-V
#2) ...

That's all I have so far.
StanIROCZ
M3?
Mercedes?
roostmeyer
Only thing I can think of is take it to a tight track without any real straights. Then bring an e30 m3 (not even sure if they made a sedan though) to show what 1/3 the power can do with half the weight.
00 Trans Ram
QUOTE (roostmeyer @ Oct 14 2009, 03:33 PM) *
Only thing I can think of is take it to a tight track without any real straights. Then bring an e30 m3 (not even sure if they made a sedan though) to show what 1/3 the power can do with half the weight.

I don't think that car would do it. I have run against a few of those in race trim (stripped, race tires, etc.) in my stock G8GT. One was a driver who recently won the RR state championship in his class. We ran close lap times, but I was marginally quicker.

That's in a 4000lb car, with 361hp and street tires. I think the CTS-V would kill it.
StanIROCZ
Oh, the M3 is a 2dr, so it'd have to be the M5.
rhit_rs
There a 4 door e36 M3 that's supposedly a well balanced car. It weights quite a bit more than an e30 M3 and has about half the power of the caddy, so I don't think it's a realistic opponent given similar tires.

I think they make a new 4 door M3 that has the V8, right? It would probably stand the best chance.
00 Trans Ram
Yeah - there is the new M3 sedan.

But, it's a bit heavy (doesn't have the CF roof like the coupe) at 3700lbs. And, we're still only talking 414hp and 300tq. And narrower tires.

Don't ya love bench racing!
Mojave
If I were Lutz, I'd cheat like mad and pick a 'special' CTS-V. Smaller blower pulley, dyno tune, possibly some Pilot Sport Cups, maybe some slightly stiffer springs, Penskes.

If you're not cheating, you're not trying. 2thumbs.gif
CrashTestDummy
QUOTE (Mojave @ Oct 16 2009, 09:37 AM) *
If I were Lutz, I'd cheat like mad and pick a 'special' CTS-V. Smaller blower pulley, dyno tune, possibly some Pilot Sport Cups, maybe some slightly stiffer springs, Penskes.

If you're not cheating, you're not trying. 2thumbs.gif

Lutz: "No, it's completely stock. If you have any specific questions, my Chief Mechanic here, Mr. Henry Yunick, can answer any questions you have."

laugh.gif
StanIROCZ
Looks like the Cadillac wins 2thumbs.gif
trackbird
My friend Jack (from the "My stand in codriver shows real talent" thread) did beat Mr. Lutz and all the other journalists. Sadly he didn't win the day.
rhit_rs
Did you see anything on what tires they were all running?

That seems like a pretty important variable that may or may not (make that probably not) held constant.
StanIROCZ
My understanding was everything had to be stock so I assume that means tires also.
1meanZ
I heard Bob Lutz on NPR yesterday, he blamed his age for not winning LOL. It sounded like the Caddys took all the top spots except for one which I think was 4th place. It went to a BMW M3 if I heard correctly, but I was in my IROC and sometimes the Magnaflows make more noise than the radio does....
codename Bil Doe
QUOTE (00 Trans Ram @ Oct 14 2009, 01:10 PM) *
Are they fragile on a road course?

I keep trying to think of another car I'd rather have if I were racing on a road course and trying to beat a CTS-V. So far, here's my list:

#1) CTS-V
#2) ...

That's all I have so far.

#1) CTS-V coupe
#2) CTS-V
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.