Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Offset UCA bushings
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > Advertiser Sales & Group Purchases
Sam Strano
I had one last run of Offset Upper Control Arm bushings made. I've got about 7 sets--and when they are gone, they are gone. It's time for them to leave my shelf. As such I'm dropping the price by 20% to $127.20 a set. And for that price, I'll ship them as well.

For those that don't know about these, here's is what they are about:

You get a complete set of 4 upper contorl arm bushings machined from Delrin. The come with machined internal sleeves to insure proper fit in the mounting bracket. The hole is offset the maximum amount possible in order to gain negative camber, or if you have a car that has too much (like a lowered street car) allows you to remove some and get the alignment back to more normal settings. This being a road-race and autox site, we use them for the negative camber they add.

Instructions are included, and the perk of running these is that they are completely legal for SCCA autocross. There are those that it doesn't matter to, but running GM arms with Offset bushings results in less weight than aftermarket adjustable arms, and the GM arms fit around the shock tower properly at full suspension compression. I haven't seen an aftermarket arm that does that, which usually results in a bent ball joint mounting plate.

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetails.php...8&ModelID=7
Doug Phillips
I wish I could find the ones I bought and never got to install.
Beach Cruiser
I have these on my '00 and I'm able to get up to -2.6 deg camber!
rdoms3800
sam, couple questions....so with these bushings i can adjust the amount of camber i want simply by rotating them? also, why are they going out of production? i think i might get a set.
marka
Howdy,

QUOTE (rdoms3800 @ Oct 23 2009, 03:41 PM) *
sam, couple questions....so with these bushings i can adjust the amount of camber i want simply by rotating them? also, why are they going out of production? i think i might get a set.

While technically possible, in practice this is something you only do when you install the bushings. First, they're a light press fit, so rotating them isn't easy, plus when you have them in, you drill & tap a hole through the bushing shell (which you re-use on your stock arms) and into the bushing to pin them in place to keep them from rotating.

Mark
Sam Strano
QUOTE (rdoms3800 @ Oct 23 2009, 03:41 PM) *

You should put them in as specified to not screw up the geometry. If you want to back off the amount of camber you need, you do so on the lower arm. That's your adjustment, the bushings simply allow the range to change.

They are going out of production because there isn't much of market for them anymore. Most everyone who needs for racing has them already (unless they want spares....).
rdoms3800
while i got your ear i got a couple more questions. i drive my car about 4000 miles a year on the street. How bad will they effect my street driving (tire wear) and drivability? how much of a decrease in time can i expect on an autocross course with race tires? thanks for the input
Sam Strano
How would you like to quantify that? Race tires cost a lot more than street tires do. Having the camber helps the front end grip and the tire wear when you are racing (which is much harder on tire wear than street driving).

Yes, the street wear will suffer. Is it worth the trade off? That's your call. I think most on this site will tell you it most certainly is if you want a fast car with front end grip.
rdoms3800
i just put my order in! Too bad our last event was yesterday:(
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.